Hop To
#19272530 03/05/24
B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've had a LH stainless action sitting in the safe for years trying to decide what to do with it. Well long story short it's now my "budget" 35Whelen. I picked her up from my rifle building friend and FFL yesterday, and the weather's so nice here today I just had to shoot her. I only put 17 mild loads through her with a cleaning mid way, but I think she has some potential.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Very nice, trying to do similar myself right now. Enjoy!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congratulations. Very nicely done.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a nostalgic fondness for some of the older classic calibers. Unfortunately, there are several of them that seem to have never been made commercially in a left-handed rifle like the 257 Roberts, 300 H&H & the 35 Whelen. They rarely ever appear for sale. So of course I've always wanted one but knew I would have to probably build one myself. That's a very nice rifle! I have a 9.3x74r which is close in performance to the 35 Whelen & it's one of my favorite rifles. Down here in LA & MS, we can hunt with .35+ caliber single shots during primitive season so I have a couple of hunting buddies who both shoot the .35 Whelen with great results.

B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Odonata I've always been in the same boat. I call this friend of mine my crack dealer because he makes it way too easy to make me what's not available commercially for us lefties. Off the top of my head he's built me this 35 Whelen, a 220 Swift heavy barrel, 17 Fireball sporter, stainless 7-08, 22-250 fast twist and a 20 practical.

For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That's a really nice looking rifle, well done sir.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin, my dream lately is a 17 fireball left hand. Had one & let it go????? How well does yours feed & eject?? Did your smith move the extractor, ejector??? Thanks, that is a fine rifle especially in 35 Whelen. GWPGUY πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Eeee-gatz, that is sweet!

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
What a nice hunting rifle.

This is going to prompt me to get off my butt and do something with the LH 700 .30-06 I got a couple of years ago. I planned for it to be a donor, but I didn't know what it would be.

I have three synthetic stocks sitting there. Just waiting for the project.

Maybe a trip to JES is all I need to do to get it going.

Thanks for the nudge.

That's a sweet rifle.

Likes lefty rifles. Guntalk in web searches.
B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by GWPGUY
Evnin, my dream lately is a 17 fireball left hand. Had one & let it go????? How well does yours feed & eject?? Did your smith move the extractor, ejector??? Thanks, that is a fine rifle especially in 35 Whelen. GWPGUY πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
Remington made a small run of LH 17FB with the SPS heavy barrel that had the extractor/ejectors in the correct location for the tiny cases. The one I found maybe 15 years ago the owner had his rechambered to 17 Remington. I used it as a 17Rem for several years for coyotes but it was too heavy. So, knowing I had one with the correct bolt for the FB, I bought a barrel and had my smith do the metal work. The original owner had changed out (and eventually lost) the original box/follower/spring so I had to find those. The follower was the hardest thing and eventually I got one from PTG. I found a wood stock in pretty rough shape so I refinished it including cutting the white like spacer out and giving it a oil finish. That's it in the back. The one in front is my 220 Swift. Another Fun build that doesn't get shot enough.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,467 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,609
Posts18,492,450
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.