Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I can see that yolk.
All you see is the part that's holding the rest in. You're talking about sunny side up, not over easy.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You probably like your sashimi cooked.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Fried eggs done with nothing runny. Bacon barely crisp, not burnt. Biscuit crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. To each his/her own, but to me a runny yolk is just nasty. My wife loves 'em runny. She calls them "soppy". I call them "sloppy". Enjoy it the way you like it.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You don't deserve an egg if you like them overcooked.

It's a smiteable offense.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grain producers needed a way to get rid of their vegetable oils, which were a byproduct of processing vegetables and grains for consumption, so they hired "scientists" to perform studies blaming heart attacks on the use of animal fats in cooking and for spreading on toast, then offered to the public various "healthy" alternative to it. The medical establishment bought into this BS completely, and sales of lard, tallow, and butter plummeted. Folks switched over in mass to vegetable oils for cooking, and replaced butter with margarine.

I seem to recall from something read long ago that our government was involved in this mis-information during WWII, because they wanted lard and butter to go to the troops, during the war. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ate in a lot of resturants scattered all across Arkansas during my working career. Ate out five mornings a week for most of it. Ordering eggs over easy resulted with some runny white in probably 90% of them. I went to over medium and things got right. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like my eggs any way they come.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

THIS ^^^^^

BASTED is about the only way I order eggs, BASTED Medium, whites must NOT be runny.

A NOTE: If you wait till they're 'ready' before you take them out of the pan, they will be overdone by the time you eat them.....

Basted, if you don't know, is an egg in a puddle of bacon grease, you then splash the grease on top of the egg with your spatula.....

They should then be served, not beside your potatoes or grits, but ON TOP!!!

YMMV

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by milespatton
I ate in a lot of resturants scattered all across Arkansas during my working career. Ate out five mornings a week for most of it. Ordering eggs over easy resulted with some runny white in probably 90% of them. I went to over medium and things got right. miles
Yes, that's the way I like it, too, regardless of that being mislabeled as over medium at some diners. Fully cooked whites, and runny yolk, is perfect over easy. If the yolk isn't runny at all when broken, that's over well. If it's just a little runny, that's over medium.

I should have taken a second shot of those eggs, too, to demonstrate that the yolks, once broken, spread out over the plate (I never imagined, however, that I'd get pushback on whether or not they were over easy). That's not technically over medium. Over medium would be a yolk that just barely oozes out when broken. Over well is when there's no oozing out at all, once broken.

All that is beside the point, however, of my posted image, which was that cast iron is a great way to cook bacon and eggs.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I want my whites crispy and yolks runny, for dipping my buttered wheat toast in.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Beef tallow

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Hawkeye, you can plainly see that overdone yolk. LOL

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Those who are asserting that there shouldn't be a thin layer of cooked yolk on what was (before the flip) the sunny side are confusing over-easy with sunny-side-up. There has to be a thin layer of cooked yolk on what had been (before the flip) the sunny side to keep the yolk from breaking upon transition to the plate. Done properly, when you cut open the yolk on your plate (through that thin layer of cooked yolk), the yolk oozes out, and spreads all over. If that doesn't happen, then you have over medium or over well.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Overdone is overdone , brother

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I made them again today in exactly the same way, but this time made sure to take a shot after splitting them open, for the doubters.

How they land in the plate when they are slid from the pan is random. In the previous shot, one happened to land with what had been the sunny side facing up. In this shot, they happened to both land with what had been the sunny side facing down, but they were cooked in exactly the same way, for the exact same amount of time, at exactly the same heat. My formula never varies.

Right after sliding them into the plate from the cast iron skillet:

[Linked Image]

Right after slicing them down the middle:

[Linked Image]

Perfect over-easy every time.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Over cooked.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Morewood
Valsdad posted a beautiful plate of over-easy eggs down in the cooking branch.
His look more like sunny side to me.

Geeeeno!
😎

I don’t know all the fancy foody verbiage. I like them dippy. The edges of the whites all crispy and the yolks runny.

That's how I like em, and crispy bacon.

For those in the know, they are not over easy, nor sunny side the way I learned it.

Those were cooked in the grease from the bacon (or oil if it was the sausage day eggs), with the meat removed from the pan and the hot grease spooned over the tops, while the edges get all crispy...............as it only proper for a good egg.

The way I learned it, over easy involves flipping and sunny side usually involves placing a cover over the pan so the tops of the whites cook.

I'm not fussy, I can eat them with runny whites, as I usually like them when eating poached eggs or soft boiled. My wife hates them that way.

For me, over easy is overcooked.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Preach it brother.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Discriminating epicures know.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lessdog, 222ND, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,066
Posts18,482,544
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.