Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SeldomSeenSmith
How many dogs have to die before they end this race? Interest in the race is waning. Good riddance!

As previously stated…..GFY! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Dallas had to shoot a moose inthe dog team and salvage it by his self. He’s still in first.

He might have a chance!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How many dogs have to die before they end this race? Interest in the race is waning. Good riddance!
Go pet your pussy....cat.

Life is good live it while you can.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P

> must be a liberal TROLL . go back and read his posts of the past you will understand then .

Last edited by pete53; 03/05/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dallas is back in the lead Jesse Holmes in 2nd both headed too Ophir rest of mushers are a ways behind . very interesting dog sled race ,Dallas just swapped out old sled for a new type carbon lighter sled when he got to McGrath. smart move !

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
It would be neat to see Jesse pull out a win. Gotta cheer for the little guys.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't believe how many of you are star struck by the "Ak reality show" actor.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
now Dallas Seavey is getting a 2hr. penalty for not gutting the moose properly now that is total B.S. they don`t want Dallas to win dirty bas- turds ,i wished i lived in Alaska right now . someone needs to raise some heck about this dirty rule decided by local idiot.

Last edited by pete53; 03/06/24.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pay attention to the dog numbers as they continue north. Dropping 20% of your dog power is no biggey down south where the temps are warm and the snow is slick. But as you get further north along the trail, that below zero snow turns to sand paper on that runner plastic.

Geeze, some of these mushers were down to 13 dogs 150 miles into the race. Dogs dropped that early are a sign of a few possible weaknesses, but not always. Heck, even switching harnesses can throw a dog off, or even catching a bug from other dogs. Or sometimes a good dog gets up there in age, but the musher doesn't realize the dog is struggling until 200-300 miles into the race.

Best of the best: Jesse Royer rolled into Nome in 5th place 2017 with a full 16 dogs. The amount of skill and care to make that possible, is a major accomplishment.

Dan Kaduce did as well, crossing the finish line with all the dogs he started with, in 4th place back in 2022.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by pete53
now Dallas Seavey is getting a 2hr. penalty for not gutting the moose properly now that is total B.S. they don`t want Dallas to win dirty bas- turds ,i wished i lived in Alaska right now . someone needs to raise some heck about this dirty rule decided by local idiot.

It's not a dog race anymore! It's a reality TV show.
Give me the days of Rick Swenson, Susan Butcher, Herbie Nayokpuk, and Libby Riddles! The days when local trappers sold beaver carcasses to the racers when they came thru their village!

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by martentrapper

Give me the days of Rick Swenson, Susan Butcher, Herbie Nayokpuk, and Libby Riddles! The days when local trappers sold beaver carcasses to the racers when they came thru their village!

I dunno bout that. When Scott Janssen almost froze to death, he was forced to abandon his dogs when he was rescued. Along comes Jason Mackey, untangled a ball of scared, cold dogs. Then proceeds to run 2 fkn teams to the next check point. This was probably one of the most harrowing moments of all time. Lance's skills as a musher, are and were, indescribable:

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P

yes your right ! it now is politics , money and a show . the real reason Dallas got the 2 hr. penalty is because he figure a way that is legal yet to after the rougher area he went thru with his old heavy sled was to switch his heavy sled out to a lighter carbon sled so he could go faster and this was a good plan .so the only thing these race officials decided was to give Dallas a 2 hr. penalty for the poor job of gutting that moose , because Dallas out smarted the race rules with his good plan with the much lighter carbon sled . i hope Dallas still wins the race and this will hurt the race in the future with this stupid penalty , smart officials would have just let it be about the moose gutting job STUPID !

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

yes your right ! it now is politics , money and a show . the real reason Dallas got the 2 hr. penalty is because he figure a way that is legal yet to after the rougher area he went thru with his old heavy sled was to switch his heavy sled out to a lighter carbon sled so he could go faster and this was a good plan .so the only thing these race officials decided was to give Dallas a 2 hr. penalty for the poor job of gutting that moose , because Dallas out smarted the race rules with his good plan with the much lighter carbon sled . i hope Dallas still wins the race and this will hurt the race in the future with this stupid penalty , smart officials would have just let it be about the moose gutting job STUPID !

You don’t know much about DLP rules do you? For the rest of us, if we DLP an animal like a moose we have to gut it,
Skin it, qtr it, and deliver it to the troopers. The Iditarod guys all the state ask for is gut it properly. I also would think it would be the brown shirts making that determination if the animal was gutted right.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 79S
You don’t know much about DLP rules do you? For the rest of us, if we DLP an animal like a moose we have to gut it,
Skin it, qtr it, and deliver it to the troopers. The Iditarod guys all the state ask for is gut it properly. I also would think it would be the brown shirts making that determination if the animal was gutted right.

Not in Fbks. Dog musher shoots a moose,DLP, calls the troopers. Troopers call the next name on the charity list and THEY come take care of the moose! Person who pulls the trigger rarely has to touch the moose! But he does have to fill out some paperwork.
Hey Mainer, Lance is gone too. it's just not the same race.
I'll call you soon.

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
A friend up Eagle River Valley keeps bee hives on his deck. I always told him that seemed like a bad idea. It's kinda' like inviting several hundred pounds of bear up to your glass French doors, but what do I know? Sure enough, he had a black bear show up, and after running him off just to have him repeatedly return (including a 12 gauge bean bag round on the rump), he finally killed it with a slug. It drops on the driveway. He calls the Troopers who come, ask for help lifting it into then back of his truck, and away go the Trooper and bear carcass.

No muss, no fuss.

Of course, if it had been me or a Seavey-in-a-hurry, things are different. It's all a crap shoot in the America of today...........

NRA Life Endowment Member
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dallas had a sled dog that was hurt bad and bleeding so no the moose should have been someone else to gut the moose and Dallas got a stupid 2 hr. penalty that`s B.S. too ,that dog almost died vet had to do surgery on the poor dog . yes i would like to see a link of the Alaskan game laws in Fairbanks area not just iditarod rules might not be legal anymore ?

Last edited by pete53; 03/07/24.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Got a link to the FBKs. game law book?
laugh

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
Got a link to the FBKs. game law book?
laugh
Good one bender! The game laws don't vary. It's enforcement that varys!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Uh oh sphagettios

Seavey had a dog-stomping encounter with a moose. One of his dogs was critically injured. He was then less than two hours from the Skwentna checkpoint.

He failed to adequately gut the moose. This might be understandable and easily forgivable if he’d turned his team around and rushed his critically injured dog back to Skwentna to get it treated as fast as possible.

But that isn’t what he did.

Instead of turning around, he went an hour and twenty minutes down the trail, hauling the critically injured dog. Camped out for three hours with the critically injured dog. And then spent another two hours on the trail to Finger Lake where he finally sought help for the critically injured dog.

This adds up to six and a half hours the dog was left to suffer (although hopefully, Seavey gave it Iditarod-banned painkillers) when it could have been back in Skwentna in less than two hours and under treatment by veterinarians in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley or Anchorage within three hours.

https://craigmedred.news/2024/03/06...fY7iTsYmv_tegyF5ciaSGde3TQbG4pwc&amp

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Medred really hits the nail most times!

Last edited by martentrapper; 03/08/24.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1936M71, 12savage, 1lessdog, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,980
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.