Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pjf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
For almost 20 years, I�ve been using a mallet and a Lee Loader to assemble ammunition for my rifle. I need to replace my loader and wonder what you think of the following bullet seating dies:

� GMW-Vickerman (threaded): black oxide finish [ www.gmwvickerman.com ]
� Neil Jones (hand): black oxide finish [ www.neiljones.com ]
� Neil Jones (threaded): black oxide finish [ www.neiljones.com ]
� Redding Competition III (threaded): steel & black oxide finish [ www.redding-reloading.com ]
� Wilson Standard (hand): steel [ www.lewilson.com ] + Sinclair stainless micrometer

HR IC

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've had plenty of experience with the standard Wilson seater dies, and it's hard to beat them especially the price compared to some of the others you mention. I typically use a Redding threaded for sizing and the Wilson for seating.

Hank

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

P
pjf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by HankinColorado
I typically use a Redding threaded for sizing and the Wilson for seating.

Are arbor presses & hand dies better for bullet seating?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have used the Wilson with an arbor press. Now seat most with either a Forster or Redding Competition seating die.Rick.

IC B2

P
pjf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
The Redding Competition (III) seating & neck sizing dies cost $258.

The Niel Jones seating & neck sizing threaded dies cost $220. The hand dies cost $200.

Are there any opinions as to which die set rusts less, needs the least lubrication, and is more trouble free? Are the threaded dies worth the extra money? I�ve only used a Lee Loader and a mallet the last 20 years.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Haven't used the Neil Jones dies so can't comment on them. All my Reddings have been trouble free. I clean all my dies when received and spray a coat of rust prevent on them. I clean the sliding sleve in the seater and apply a very light coat of oil to the inside/outside and have not had any rusting problems.Rick.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Forster makes a seater die that is very similar to the Redding Competition seater die. I believe the price is around 60 bucks a copy.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Best value in America ? Lee dead length seater/collet set....Forster std BR seater more $$...but still a great value..

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

P
pjf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Okay. You�ve talked me into the no-lube Lee collet die which uses a standard press. For a threaded seating die, it�s between the GMW Vickerman ($98), the Neil Jones ($120), or the Redding Competition seater ($129).

From the pictures, it appears that the Vickerman and Neil Jones are blued to a black-oxide finish whereas the Redding has exposed metal and can rust unless oiled. Opinions?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless you have the budget for these dies, go back and look at the Forster seater. IIRC, Redding copied Forster's sliding seater design for their seater and then doubled the price. I've used and own both, the Forster costs half as much and turns out rounds with concentricity with a max reading of .001" every time. Of course, that's not mentioning the case prep and sizing dies in the concentricity score.
Selmer

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
P
pjf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I appreciate your recommendations. Unfortunately, the fine Forster dies and the stainless Wilson dies are not available in Winchester 284 caliber. I normally load to 0.001" of the lands which is why I'm interested in a micrometer seating die. What's available appears to be the Vickerman, Redding, and Neil Jones dies.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by selmer
Unless you have the budget for these dies, go back and look at the Forster seater. IIRC, Redding copied Forster's sliding seater design for their seater and then doubled the price. I've used and own both, the Forster costs half as much and turns out rounds with concentricity with a max reading of .001" every time. Of course, that's not mentioning the case prep and sizing dies in the concentricity score.
Selmer

Selmer - I like my Forster, but I have found that one mark on the die will not translate to one thousandth of an inch change in seating depth. I am not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, so maybe it isn't supposed to. What have you found? Thanks, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I must have missed the cartridge you are loading.
For crying out loud, a standard seating die shouldn't cost you more than $25. Unless you are shooting something really obscure, then maybe. For a standard hunting rifle, do you really need that special of equipment???? My Redding and RCBS dies will make ammo that is more accurate than I am capable of shooting. Unless you are shooting competitively in Benchrest or some other discipline, you are wasting money better spent on boolits....

This is just my opinion, though, you are entitled to spend all the moolah you want, any way you please.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
P
pjf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
You�re right. The cost of a micrometer seating die is high, especially in my 284-caliber. The micrometer is not necessary but I�m wary of concentricity issues associated with standard seating dies. The L.E. Wilson dies, suggested earlier, appear to be more economical than micrometer dies and a step up from standard dies.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Then you will want to add the microometer top to the wilson seater and drop another $40. You can seat concentric rounds with a standard seater if it is set up correctly and your press is capable. Are you seating 0.001" off the lands or 0.010"? Is this a hunting rifle?Rick.

RSY Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I like my Forster, but I have found that one mark on the die will not translate to one thousandth of an inch change in seating depth. I am not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, so maybe it isn't supposed to. What have you found? Thanks, John

Yes, they are supposed to. And I think the die will adjust as promised, but...I think what happens much of the time is that more than a thousandth of die adjustment is needed to break the tension and actually move the bullet. crazy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
RSY - thanks - I also wonder if there is enough play in my equipment (well, not my personal equipment - there seems to be a lot of play in that as I get older) that enters into the picture as well - just wanted to know if I should expect a mark to move things a thousandth. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
pjf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
When developing a load, I keep logs of the distance away from the lands. With my Lee Loader, each turn of the ring is 1/32�, each third of a turn is 0.01�, and a 11.5-degree turn equates to 0.001". I believe a micrometer will more easily track seating depth during load development.

While this may simply be a hunting load, I believe that seating depth and concentricity are important for safe, accurate and reproducible loads. For the past 19 years, I�ve only used a Lee Loader and a mallet for reloading. I�m shopping for replacement dies that are easy to use and that produce the same concentricity as traditional chamber seating dies.

A Wilson seating die plus a Sinclair micrometer do add up in costs and make integrated micrometer dies more competitive. My choices are:

� Arbor press, chamber seating die & neck sizing die
� Standard press, sleeved seating die & Lee collet die

Since I�ve never touched a press or a die beyond a Lee Loader, I�m listening to recommendations.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
pjf,
I have used an RCBS Rock Chucker Press for years with no problems. It has to be cleaned and lubricated occassionally just like anything else. I used RCBS dies almost exclusively until I started messing with Ackley Improved calibers and then I ran into Redding. I use Redding bushing dies on the Ackley's and use the RCBS dies on all others as neck turning and messing with bushings is too much work.
Seating bullets can be accomplished accurately with standard bullet seating dies but is a lot easier and the bullets go in the brass with a better opportunity to be perfectly concentric when using a Redding Competition Seating die. Much easier to make accurate adjustments in seating depths too. 001" on a Redding Micrometer is .001". As one of the other posts mentioned there is no issue with rust if the die is serviced and maintained properly.
IMO good tools are like good optics. Get all you can afford.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 47 invisible), 16,397 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,904
Posts18,538,789
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.