Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pete53
after seeing a twisted frame S.W. 44 mag. 629 and i do own 2 - 629 S.W. and reading on the site Buffalo bullet ammo company ,i am done buying any S.W. revolvers anymore ,i will buy only Colt ,Ruger or maybe a couple of others.i also talked on the phone with a ammo manufacture about revolvers he no longer used S.W. revolvers either. i did last summer 2023 buy a Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag. for my son`s birthday 4 inch barrel so he can use the high pressure hard lead bear bullets he also got from me.

I got a buddy that had a 629, him and i were out shooting and he wanted to borrow some ammo And I told him all I had were hot loads and told him he can't put them through the Smith and he would'nt listen saying that the Smith was a stronger gun than the Ruger. after a couple of cylinders it was real hard to cock it back all the way.

Lol, Guess what he shoots now!! And he really likes it.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I felt the need to push a .44 hard enough it was ‘twisting’ the frame of a 29/629, I think I’d just step up to a heavier caliber.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your first revolver should be a 22LR.

[Linked Image from ]
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Personally I would opt for the S&W between the Colt and Smith, having owned multiple examples of both, as well as Rugers. Most of the stories of how weak the S&Ws are are quite overblown, and get repeated, a retold, over and over. But when you ask to see a gun that is truly worn out from excessive firing, all you will hear is crickets. Or someone, who knows someone.

I have put literally tens of thousands of rounds through various Model 29s, mostly when I was younger. I just don't shoot like that anymore. Most the time a little maintenance and a simple parts replacement, and you are good. If I actually shoot one to the point that the frame is completely beyond repair, I will hang it on the wall, look at it and remember all the good times and adventures I had with it and continue on shooting with another. The ammo to get to that point will cost far more than the price of the gun.

I can tell you that a tall Folgers can will hold 550 rounds of 240 grain .44 Magnums, and after you shoot all those, your typical Model 29, just needs cleaned, that is all.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And when you shoot everything from ground squirrels to rabbits, 500 rounds does not really last that long..

So the punchline is, most the talk about how weak the S&Ws are is talk. Most owners don't ever shoot them enough to wear one out anyways. That majority of used Model 29s I have seen look like they have hardly seen a box or two of ammo fired through them.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Personally I would opt for the S&W between the Colt and Smith, having owned multiple examples of both, as well as Rugers. Most of the stories of how weak the S&Ws are are quite overblown, and get repeated, a retold, over and over. But when you ask to see a gun that is truly worn out from excessive firing, all you will hear is crickets. Or someone, who knows someone.

I have put literally tens of thousands of rounds through various Model 29s, mostly when I was younger. I just don't shoot like that anymore. Most the time a little maintenance and a simple parts replacement, and you are good. If I actually shoot one to the point that the frame is completely beyond repair, I will hang it on the wall, look at it and remember all the good times and adventures I had with it and continue on shooting with another. The ammo to get to that point will cost far more than the price of the gun.

I can tell you that a tall Folgers can will hold 550 rounds of 240 grain .44 Magnums, and after you shoot all those, your typical Model 29, just needs cleaned, that is all.

And when you shoot everything from ground squirrels to rabbits, 500 rounds does not really last that long..

So the punchline is, most the talk about how weak the S&Ws are is talk. Most owners don't ever shoot them enough to wear one out anyways. That majority of used Model 29s I have seen look like they have hardly seen a box or two of ammo fired through them.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
629 4 or 5 inch

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
For hunting I prefer single action revolvers. That means Ruger or Freedom Arms.

Last edited by mrmarklin; 03/06/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
Go with the 629 and invest in an inexpensive reloading outfit to feed it. You won’t always need full power loads and practice ammo will be much cheaper loading your own.
I have 2 Ruger 7 1/2" Super Blackhawks. I carried the blued one so many years that much of the blueing has worn off. A few years ago I bought a stainless 4" S&W 629, that is now my carry gun in the woods.

I also started feeding it .44 Spl loads that are much easier to shoot, and yes I have to clean out the carbon ring in the cylinders so .44 mag cases will chamber easily.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by kevinpauley
I am about to buy my first revolver at 66 years old. More than likely buying for my son to inherit. I think I have narrowed my choices to a S&W 629 and a Colt Anaconda. Will be used for deer here in WV. Which way would you go?
Do something really special for him and find a pristine, or near pristine, pre-82 S&W Model 29.

I love mine.

[Linked Image]

JFC, never fails.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I had the ultimate .44, although it was a .44 Special not a Magnum. I had Hamilton Bowen build me a .44 Special on a pre'27 5", it featured a Cliff LaBounty rebore and all the options that Bowen offered. Keith Brown grips completed the package, it was a sweet shooting S & W !

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kevinpauley
I am about to buy my first revolver at 66 years old. More than likely buying for my son to inherit. I think I have narrowed my choices to a S&W 629 and a Colt Anaconda. Will be used for deer here in WV. Which way would you go?

Neither, if you do not have arthritis or other hand problems check out S&W Model 69 (5-shot L-frame .44 Magnum). No need to throw money away on "Mountain Gun" gimmiks. These are factory tapped for rail/scope mounting which is big plus in hunting gun. Used samples can be found for around $700. These will be practically unfired. Ole' pistolero fire cylinder with .44 Mag loads 4 out of 5 shots missing target and quickly sells gun ("....can i please make trade for 10mm pistola?")at a loss, their loss your gain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have listed some good candidates, and either will do what you want for a lifetime of shooting. However, I’m sticking with my Ruger Redhawks. They have, and will continue to serve me well!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 163bc, 54 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,869
Posts18,497,528
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.