Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Who here cooks in carbon steel pans. Thinking of getting one, but want real world feedback. I see raving reviews online, but before I sink $75 into a skillet, I’d like to see what experienced users say. Thanks for the feedback.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a couple, my wife likes them.
I think they are "made in".

We have several pans and a wok. You have to treat them like cast iron, they are lighter and have longer handles.
I think they take longer to season than cast.

Also have a couple of 13"thin ground cast iron pans that i got from REI. Price was right when I bought them and they have long handles as well, really nice for cooking over the fire, bought them for boat camping / hunting.

They have ended up in house as well, geez

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My wife has one skillet. I’m still trying to figure out how to get it fully seasoned. Things still stick to it too easily. I like my cast but I’d like to learn how to use the steel too since it warms up quicker.

Last edited by IZH27; 03/07/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been wanting to try it.
We aren't zealots, use cast iron and non stick as the job warrants.
Bought my wife this thing,

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

a year ago.

It's one of our most used pans, the size being the biggest reason it's not used more.
Too much capacity, and my wife has an issue with her arm that makes the weight a problem. Same with CI. Carbon steel would help her with that problem.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Less weight, good for camping.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lehmann's sells a nitrogen hardened cast iron skillet. It's good for low heat cooking, but if you turn the heat up it tends to stick. It's lightweight and handy. I read somewhere that carbon steel is harder to season than cast.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
When it's raining hard outside, I use one to cook steaks. Better than cast iron in one respect. After a very hot sear, it will cool down faster and cook the steak slowly.

Takes a while to season. Never use salt while cooking and never use dish soap to clean.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mine is great. Matfer. I use it a lot.

It is not lighter than cast iron though. It's a beast.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use stainless clad copper at home, cast iron at camp. Got the GF stainless clad copper too - we both love em.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have several blue steel skillets. A Lodge, one from Spain and several from France. To be honest, I don't use them much. I find cast iron a much better material for cooking, and even a decent aluminum teflon skillet works better.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have one, ive had a hell of a time getting a good seasoning on it. Have stripped it down a few times. Will look like it's good and turns out it wasn't.

Prefer my cast iron pans at this point, but will keep at the steel.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
[quote=johnn]We have a couple, my wife likes them.

''made in'' what? Is there a word you don't want to say??????

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got a couple skillets and just got a wok. Love 'em.

Used the 'heating until blue' method as part of seasoning one of the pans and the wok. Creates Fe3O4. Seems to be a bit better in keeping things from sticking.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
[quote=johnn]We have a couple, my wife likes them.

''made in'' what? Is there a word you don't want to say??????
"Made In" is the name of the company.

https://madeincookware.com/

Last edited by pointer; 03/07/24.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
10-4 now i know..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Matfer Bourgeat is also top of the line.
Get a small one first and see if you like it. They are heavy, but that makes them versatile.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Matfer is priced better than that.

I like mine. Start seasoning them the way they recommend. Salt, oil and potato peels.
It's weird but it works.

One thing I will say....the seasoning is not near as resilient as on my cast iron.

I think it's because they are so smooth. If there was a time to use wood or silicone/plastic utensils....cast steel is it.

Some people will actually polish a cast iron pan and then season them. I think this is wrong. Seasoning seems to stick a lot better to a slightly rough surface than a mirror smooth one.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a 15 inch carbon steel wok- - - - -it works well for stir fry, but the seasoning process must be repeated freqiently, especially if anything like rice vinegar or acidic foods like tomatoes happen to be in the recipe. I use very high temperature and either avocado or grape seed oil, a folded up paper towel and a pair of tongs, and heat the thing until it smokes before storing it away. Otherwise, it will rust.

Well-seasoned cast iron does a much better job of distributing the heat evenly- - - -carbon steel has hot and cool spots, no matter how well it's seasoned.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have quite a few between the house and the farm house. They are available in a wide range of thicknesses, some very thin, some a little heavier. For something mundane such as frying potatoes, nothing else will do it as well. I use mild steel skillets for frying eggs, sauteing vegetables, frying steaks and pork chops, fish fillets, etc. They are ideal if you want to crisp things.

The Vollrath is a little on the heavy side, but a really nice pan that will do anything the "name" brands will do. At $30, won't break the bank to try.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vo...fry-pan-8-1-2-french-style/92258900.html

edited to add:

I have several of the cheap, $12 "choice" brand pans, one of which I use daily for fried eggs. Thinner (lighter) than the Vollrath, and riveted handles, but perfectly serviceable if you just want to try the concept:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-9-1-2-carbon-steel-fry-pan/471CSFRY9.html

Last edited by Dutch; 03/07/24.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dutch
I have quite a few between the house and the farm house. They are available in a wide range of thicknesses, some very thin, some a little heavier. For something mundane such as frying potatoes, nothing else will do it as well. I use mild steel skillets for frying eggs, sauteing vegetables, frying steaks and pork chops, fish fillets, etc. They are ideal if you want to crisp things.

The Vollrath is a little on the heavy side, but a really nice pan that will do anything the "name" brands will do. At $30, won't break the bank to try.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vo...fry-pan-8-1-2-french-style/92258900.html

edited to add:

I have several of the cheap, $12 "choice" brand pans, one of which I use daily for fried eggs. Thinner (lighter) than the Vollrath, and riveted handles, but perfectly serviceable if you just want to try the concept:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-9-1-2-carbon-steel-fry-pan/471CSFRY9.html
I've eyeballed a few of the pans on that website as a away to dip my toes in the water so to speak. Can't beat their prices on some stuff. Crazy good prices.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (16gage, 16penny, 12savage, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 47 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,140
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.