-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many letters and packages does USPS move daily?

How many letters and packages for FedEx?

How many for UPS?

Do they all have hiccups? ✅

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my area USPS has been more reliable than either Fedex or UPS--and UPS is just about impossible to deal with when shipping firearms. (Have my own FFL.)

Had some late deliveries of checks until the local postmaster told me that priority mail tracking works better than the tracking of certified mail. Since then have mailed them priority, and they not only get there quicker but track is indeed better.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
USPS in my area in Alaska has always been cheaper and much more reliable that UPS or Fedex!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my area USPS has been more reliable than either Fedex or UPS--and UPS is just about impossible to deal with when shipping firearms. (Have my own FFL.)

Had some late deliveries of checks until the local postmaster told me that priority mail tracking works better than the tracking of certified mail. Since then have mailed them priority, and they not only get there quicker but track is indeed better.
How does priority mail tracking work for letters? I was told that priority mail tracking was only available for packages?

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN

How does priority mail tracking work for letters? I was told that priority mail tracking was only available for packages?

usps priority envelopes have tracking numbers same as packages.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I always will take a personal check. They usually clear in a day os. I haven't been burned by a gun guy, YET!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BigGnTn
Originally Posted by 28lx
I recently sold a rifle on the classifieds and USPS lost it for a week. Your right It feels like your reputation is on the line. From now on I’m going to spend the extra money and have my dealer ship any firearms I sell.
The advantage to having a dealer ship for you is that the BATFE can be involved in the event it gets “lost in the mail” whereas a non-FFL holder doesn’t have that support.

Exactly. Plus my FFL has accounts with both USPS and UPS. He knows what he is doing and well worth the few dollars I pay.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I guess I have been lucky with USPS . Sometimes a day or two late but always gets where I sent it.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gunnut308

usps priority envelopes have tracking numbers same as packages.
Ahh, I thought we were talking about priority tracking options for US 1st Class mail, which I still don't believe is available. For someone mailing a 'regular' letter, the cheapest tracking option is certified mail, which IIRC runs around $4-$5. The USPS does offer Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes but they cost $9.85 per envelope, or $8.50 if you use a commercial mail service.

G
glosto Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Well i was told today by the Post Master that he would waive the stop payment fee for both money orders( had to buy 2 because it was over $1000.) most likley because i just 2 months ago had a $32. stop payment charge for a lost check. Also was told like has been mentioned already not to send Certified mail but send priority with tracking which is about double the expense. Just have to hope you get your refund all the while you just hope the recipient has lots of patience in waiting for all this to play out and in my case he has been very patient. Just not the way i like to do business and am looking for a better option than USPS. Im giving this till monday and if not delivered then stop payment will happen.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunnut308
How many letters and packages does USPS move daily?

How many letters and packages for FedEx?

How many for UPS?

Do they all have hiccups? ✅

Yes, the USPS handles an astronomical amount of letters and packages daily.....but maybe just maybe if they DIDN'T add all the junk mail flyers on top of the legitimate mail they could do their job a little more efficiently.

Then there is the bigger problem.....249 years.

249 years since the institution was created in 1775. One would think that after two and half centuries of doing the SAME job day in and day out they could perfect it just a little bit. Is doing their job RIGHT after 249 years of experience too much to ask for?

And I'll add this, FedEx and UPS and others wouldn't need to exist if the USPS did their job......

Last edited by Feral_American; 03/07/24.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

They put the standard envelope inside a larger envelope. Have both sent and received numerous priority "letters" that way. Who told you that priority was only available for packages?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

They put the standard envelope inside a larger envelope. Have both sent and received numerous priority "letters" that way. Who told you that priority was only available for packages?

Exactly what I wrote above. $10 on a $1000 purchase...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As much as we bitch about USPS it is till absolutely the best and easiest way for a non-FFL to ship a long gun.

Competition is not even close.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ed,

Yep, it works very well! But apparently many have never tried it--or had it recommended by their local PO.

Might also mention that have been "downsizing" a little more in 2024, and so far the USPS has been 100% on firearms shipped and arriving when tracking said they would.

John

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

One of the veteran USPS clerks at the Last Chance Gulch office when I tried to get tracking on a 'regular' 6.75 envelope that I had put a 1st Class stamp on. But it was a 5-6 years ago so maybe the 'Priority Mail Flat Rate' envelopes weren't available then? IIRC, the clerk never mentioned the Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope option.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I sent 100 brass casings 300 miles on Feb 20th. It's March 8th, and still hasn't been delivered.
It's caught in this doom loop in St Louis, back and forth between USPS facilities.

TRACKING

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd much rather send and receive a personal check.

They clear within a day or two and much easier to cancel if necessary.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
In my neck of the woods FedEx is scary stupid. I told them (when they followed up to say they are sorry for the latest screw up) they make USPS look like seasoned package delivery professionals.

These days any online order that only offers FedEx doesn't get the order from me. I simply leave the shopping basket full. And when they follow up with me to ask why, I tell them why.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,005
Posts18,500,087
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.