Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Any recommendations? Already done my online research but wanted to hear some thoughts.

Not looking for crazy technical but the next step above raingauges and indoor/outdoor temp sensors on my door...

Thanks...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have used and been completely happy with a Davis Vantage Vue for close to a decade now. No issues whatsoever. Sadly, they've just about doubled in price since I bought mine, but I still recommend them highly. LINK

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I like my AcuRite weather station.

Just have the simple one that doesn't connect to a smart phone. Inside display and outside weather station. About $120.. Lasted 4 years so far.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I have used and been completely happy with a Davis Vantage Vue for close to a decade now. No issues whatsoever. Sadly, they've just about doubled in price since I bought mine, but I still recommend them highly. LINK

Was looking at this one....

Good to hear. I get some harsh sun.....

How's the warranty and/or CS?

- Greg

IC B2

G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I like my AcuRite weather station.

Just have the simple one that doesn't connect to a smart phone. Inside display and outside weather station. About $120.. Lasted 4 years so far.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thanks Barry. Hope things are well.

- Greg

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I knew the weather rock would make its appearance

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of all the recommendations, Rocky’s is probably the best. We actually worked with Davis to reverse engineer an old Davis system that was at the Long Range Radar Sites here in AK. The new equipment from Viasla that was supposed to be Arctic tested and ended up freezing over. Davis systems did not have that issue. So the contractor for the AF and Davis somehow got the Davis wind sensors to work in place of the Viasala ones.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Davis Vantage Pro 2 here......

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Greg, I have never had to use either their warranty or customer service. I rate that as positive. I think that they are good at replacing broken parts (the wind paddles are the usual thing).

The only issues I've had are replacing the CR123 backup battery every 18 months or so, and getting false rain amounts when the wind blows just the wrong way. Battery replacement requires climbing up on the roof, but is otherwise dead simple. I found directions to correct the false rain amounts online, also simple.

I have an Accu-Rite machine in the kitchen, just for temps and simple stuff. No wind or rain gauges. It has always read about two degrees hot and there's no way to re-calibrate it that I can find. But knowing that I just make a mental correction to the readout. It's an okay machine, but nowhere near as good as the Davis.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought my wife a LaCrosse system years ago. It was okay but only lasted about five years. I bought her a Davis Vantage Vue system 17 or 18 years ago and it has been very good. I had to send it in a while back, but the service was adequate (not cheap!) enough. Good system.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We ended up getting this one. Nice to know what the temperature/rain fall is here at the house install of the city's location, 10 miles away.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by MickinColo; 03/08/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good luck with your choice Greg.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread but I think I know the answer.

I've got a LaCrosse, about 6 years old now. Rain gauge quit sending a couple of years back. Discontinued and no longer supported. Anemometer still working, but once or twice the right kind of heavy wet snow in 20-30mph winds has stopped it from turning. Temp unit had to be moved closer to the receiver after about 4 years, still working though.

I'm going to look into one of them fancy Davis units when I finally get tired of the LaCrosse one or it dies completely,

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
We have been very happy with our Ambient Weather station. Bought is over 7 years ago and it's still working very well. Using their website and phone app we can access it from anywhere.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I also have an Ambient Weather station. I'm on my 3rd year

G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Greg, I have never had to use either their warranty or customer service. I rate that as positive. I think that they are good at replacing broken parts (the wind paddles are the usual thing).

The only issues I've had are replacing the CR123 backup battery every 18 months or so, and getting false rain amounts when the wind blows just the wrong way. Battery replacement requires climbing up on the roof, but is otherwise dead simple. I found directions to correct the false rain amounts online, also simple.

I have an Accu-Rite machine in the kitchen, just for temps and simple stuff. No wind or rain gauges. It has always read about two degrees hot and there's no way to re-calibrate it that I can find. But knowing that I just make a mental correction to the readout. It's an okay machine, but nowhere near as good as the Davis.

Good stuff...

- Greg

G
GregW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Great stuff guys.

- Greg

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've had LaCrosse for near ten years. I can't say it has been reliable, but the warranty is like Leupold, excellent. They replaced the Rain gauge once, the display once, the wind thingy twice, all at no cost. Don't think I would buy another, since it rained three inches the other day and the display showed .82. Always something.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Good luck with your choice Greg.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread but I think I know the answer.

I've got a LaCrosse, about 6 years old now. Rain gauge quit sending a couple of years back. Discontinued and no longer supported. Anemometer still working, but once or twice the right kind of heavy wet snow in 20-30mph winds has stopped it from turning. Temp unit had to be moved closer to the receiver after about 4 years, still working though.

I'm going to look into one of them fancy Davis units when I finally get tired of the LaCrosse one or it dies completely,

Bought gf a LaCrosse unit several years ago. It crapped out, one section at a time, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,825
Posts18,477,900
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.