Print Thread
Hop To
T
tmitch Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I've posted about this on another forum, so forgive me if you've seen it already. But, since this is the Remington forum I'll put it where it belongs. I came across it at my LGS and at first thought it was a 14 carbine until I got a closer look. Honestly though, what excited me most was it was fitted with a "climbing Lyman" 21 sight. Coincidentally the rifle I carried on my very first deer hunt was my Uncles 141 .30 Rem equipped with that same sight. A quick google search showed the rifle was legit and it was pretty uncommon. I made the deal and took it home and further research led me to an article on the 141 Carbine on the Remington Society website and some pretty interesting history. Going by their production estimates, I scored a unicorn! It's not a pristine example, having been fitted with the Lyman, the stock shortened and pad added. The Lyman is a bonus in my book and I have since found an original take off stock and replaced the buggered up takedown screw. I've also come up with 60 rounds of .32 Remington factory ammo so she'll be ready for the deer woods again!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

With its new stock and "big brother" in .35

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Nice! I have a 14 1/2 in 44-40. I'd love to find a carbine version in this series. Good score.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a sweet one. If you turn to reloading the 32 Remington, look for the Speer 170 gr RN, the crimping groove is in the correct position to crimp for 32 Remington and function, whereas the Hornady is set for 32 Special only and cartridge length will be too long.

I have two 14 Carbines in 30 Remington, they are handy little woods guns. My grandpas favorite Saddle gun was a 14 in 30, so of course I had to get into them too. Some day soon I'll do a photo of the collection. 2 or 3 in all four calibers. I bought one here recently because it has this crazy add on safety I have never seen before. Like your Climbin Lyman sight, it made it a little more special. I hope you get to make meat with that this year.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
For pocano:

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks Joe

Always had a thing for the Carbines
All 32 REM

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

T
tmitch Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice! Is that a 141 carbine? I know the straight grips are 14s

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by tmitch

Yes, it’s a 141R

Hunter S. Thompson
T
tmitch Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Yes, it’s a 141R

Have you contacted Tom Hemphill of the Remington Society? (Hemphillgvtel.com) He collects data on the 141 carbines.

Charter Member

szihn

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Yes, it’s a 141R

Have you contacted Tom Hemphill of the Remington Society? ([email protected]) He collects data on the 141 carbines.

tmitch,
Spoke with Ken Blauch before he passed and pretty sure I gave him the specifics to pass along to Tom. Have found a 14R 25 Rem since then and should get that info to Tom.

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Yes, it’s a 141R

Have you contacted Tom Hemphill of the Remington Society? ([email protected]) He collects data on the 141 carbines.

tmitch,
Spoke with Ken Blauch before he passed and pretty sure I gave him the specifics to pass along to Tom. Have found a 14R 25 Rem since then and should get that info to Tom.

At one time I had a keen interest in the Model 14 and a respectable collection of them.

I had the pleasure of meeting Ken Blauch and visiting his house and seeing his collection several times before he passed. He had a very diverse and seemingly complete collection of everything Remington with a pump action. Rimfire and centerfire rifles and shotguns. One or more of everything in every caliber or gauge it seemed. Very knowledgeable and always a perfect gentleman.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Nice one. You got a good serial number too. I’ve been looking for a 141 in .35. All the research I’ve read says the quality got finicky with those rifles after #40k.

Side note, is anyone familiar with swapping the crossbolt to a left handed set up? I’m not even sure its possible with the 14/141.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hey Timmit! Great gun! Appearing indeed entirely authentic. The double rarity of the very context of any Model 141 Carbine. Then add the chambering factor moving to ultra rare.
Would be good to see as noted the receiver nomenclature and adding the barrel date production codes!

Thanks for sharing!
Best!
John

T
tmitch Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Barrel code (XK?) looks like Dec. '41.
Rare but as you see, Poconojack has its twin, albeit better original condition.

Last edited by tmitch; 03/13/24.

Charter Member

szihn

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 50 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,507
Posts18,472,321
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.