Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Ok looking to add a 308 to my portfolio
Never had an ar10 before. How would its accuracy be compared to like a model 7 or Tikka?
If I go ar style which brand on the affordable side? PSA, Dpms bushmaster?
Thanks

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have owned 3 AR10's of various manufacture. They are ok, a loaded 20 rd mag weights in at 1 pound, the guns are usually heavy, having tried a few of them, shot a few pigs, deer, I would get something like a sig cross trax, lighter, more accurate. Its wonderful to tote a 10-12 pound rig, until it isn't.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tikka's are amazing rifles and use Sako barrels, same factory, same barrel, different name. I have yet to shoot one that doesn't shoot MOA groups with quality ammo. They are one of the best deals in the bolt-gun world IMO. I have yet to shoot an AR 10 that shoots less than MOA. Most are 2 at best. Like Jimmy said, they are also heavy. I'm sure someone here can share a different story of a more accurate AR10.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd personally opt for a 6.5 creedmoor, if getting an AR10/AR308 type rifle. They are going to shoot better on average. You want one that keeps up with a Tikka? That can be done, but be prepared to spend some money. There are some gas guns that are great shooters. The one I have shoots consistent sub moa.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I bought a Ruger SFAR 308 a couple of weeks ago. Today was the 2nd range trip. The 1st one I didn't try for accuracy. Just tried hitting paper and to check for function.

I mounted a VX-2 3-9X40 on it; Most loads hovered around 2". I have some 155 gr Scenar's loaded that approach 1/2" groups from my Tikka or Winchester bolt guns. From the SFAR 3 shot groups were just a bit over 1". My Tikka put 3 shots into an inch or less with the other loads that were 2" from the SFAR.

It appears that with the right loads it is going to be very near 1 MOA, but unlike my bolt guns it appears to be very picky about loads it likes.

I was never interested in an AR10 in the past because of the weight. But the Ruger is much trimmer. My 308 SFAR is only 4-5 ounces heavier than the Ruger MPR AR-15 in 223.

Mine has the 20" barrel. Between range trips I ordered a thread protector and removed the muzzle brake. This took 1 1/2" off the overall length and almost 1/4 lb less weight. It splits the difference in length and weight now compared to the version they sell with a 16" barrel. With scope and mounts it's 8 3/4 lbs. Which is a lot better than most AR10's But my Tikka bolt gun is 7 lbs even and still more accurate.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JMR40
I bought a Ruger SFAR 308 a couple of weeks ago. Today was the 2nd range trip. The 1st one I didn't try for accuracy. Just tried hitting paper and to check for function.

I mounted a VX-2 3-9X40 on it; Most loads hovered around 2". I have some 155 gr Scenar's loaded that approach 1/2" groups from my Tikka or Winchester bolt guns. From the SFAR 3 shot groups were just a bit over 1". My Tikka put 3 shots into an inch or less with the other loads that were 2" from the SFAR.

It appears that with the right loads it is going to be very near 1 MOA, but unlike my bolt guns it appears to be very picky about loads it likes.

I was never interested in an AR10 in the past because of the weight. But the Ruger is much trimmer. My 308 SFAR is only 4-5 ounces heavier than the Ruger MPR AR-15 in 223.

Mine has the 20" barrel. Between range trips I ordered a thread protector and removed the muzzle brake. This took 1 1/2" off the overall length and almost 1/4 lb less weight. It splits the difference in length and weight now compared to the version they sell with a 16" barrel. With scope and mounts it's 8 3/4 lbs. Which is a lot better than most AR10's But my Tikka bolt gun is 7 lbs even and still more accurate.
Did it group better with the brake removed? I've read others grouping much better without the brake.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JMR40

If those SFAR's shot really well, and were reliable, they would be a damn good option. I'm still waiting on the range report from Exchippy, on his Ruger. The lightweight and smaller frame is a cool concept. Like others are saying, the standard AR10's are pretty heavy.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I’m just thinking if this country keeps heading the way it is , I might want a 308. Common ammo, longer range than a 556 . I m leaning more to a model 7 , 600, or 788 mainly because I prefer bolts was just testing opinions here in the ar forum.
No i dont want a fricking 6.5 creed. Yes i know it seems ballistically better, softer recoil BUT in the event of an”event” 308 is way way more common ammo to find

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by IA_fog
I’m just thinking if this country keeps heading the way it is , I might want a 308. Common ammo, longer range than a 556 . I m leaning more to a model 7 , 600, or 788 mainly because I prefer bolts was just testing opinions here in the ar forum.
No i dont want a fricking 6.5 creed. Yes i know it seems ballistically better, softer recoil BUT in the event of an”event” 308 is way way more common ammo to find

It is very likely, if you had 2 identical rifles side by side, most guys would pick the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 308. If you decide to get a 308 bolt gun, it's going to be hard to beat a Tikka though. Looks like you are a Remington fan, I'm sorry.. I'd take a good model 70 over a Remington.

BSA MAGA
I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It is very likely, if you had 2 identical rifles side by side, most guys would pick the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 308. If you decide to get a 308 bolt gun, it's going to be hard to beat a Tikka though. Looks like you are a Remington fan, I'm sorry.. I'd take a good model 70 over a Remington.

I actually love my tikka I have on 25-06 most accurate , fits pulls up great rifle I’ve ever had , I’ve had a model 7 before (a guy wanted it worse then me, one of those I shouldn’t have sold) I loved the compactness of it and very used tikka out there is priced as high or higher than new for some reason

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Tikka's are amazing rifles and use Sako barrels, same factory, same barrel, different name. I have yet to shoot one that doesn't shoot MOA groups with quality ammo. They are one of the best deals in the bolt-gun world IMO. I have yet to shoot an AR 10 that shoots less than MOA. Most are 2 at best. Like Jimmy said, they are also heavy. I'm sure someone here can share a different story of a more accurate AR10.

after a 1 year round robin with 3 gas 308's, I still have the Tikka CTR 5 years latter IIRC, sad it is a 6.5 but I handload for it, the 129 grain SST over H4350 is my favorite these days. The CRT is heavy, but it is accurate. With AR10's, 2 MOA at best is what I was seeing with everything I tried, even handloads with all three of the gas guns I had, the SW was worse IIRC, it was the first one I tried. I mean every once in a while I would shoot a 1 MOA group that I could circle and brag about, and the bullets landed near POA, but heavy and so so accurate just did not do it for me. At least the Tikka CTR is accurate, and very consistent, it is delivers the same group in the same place, and its not terribly ammunition sensitive. I also have a Tikka LW compact my grandsons use, which I plan to give one of them who still likes to hunt, it in its LW form with an old conquest scope, it has outshot any 10-12 pound gas 308 I had tried. I am not the best shot out there but I am better than 2 MOA most days. This is why I am thinking about the sig cross trax, LW bolt 308, folding stock magazine fed. That is once I finish another 3 projects I am working on.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My son has a SFAR in .308. Initially was optimistic regarding accuracy but the last couple of times we have gone out, getting some horizontal stringing. His scope is a Vortex 1x8 Strike Eagle. Now I am wondering if it might be the scope. Going to put a different scope on and see if that makes a difference

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, OK. But your goal should be to have a rifle in every available caliber.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I actually love my tikka I have on 25-06 most accurate , fits pulls up great rifle I’ve ever had , I’ve had a model 7 before (a guy wanted it worse then me, one of those I shouldn’t have sold) I loved the compactness of it and very used tikka out there is priced as high or higher than new for some reason

There's a reason for that. I and a lot of others believe, that when you have a damn good shooting rifle, why give it up for a minimum price? I actually have a T3 (older than the T3X), and it is a known shooter. There's no guessing with that rifle. I've had guys offer me $800 for it. It's not for sale though. It's slightly upgraded with newer T3x parts. Also, the gripe about the ejection port being too small is stupid. I've never had a single issue with that. It may even add some rigidity to the receiver, which is never a bad thing, when considering a precision shooting rifle. My buddy has an older stainless T3 308 winchester as well, and that damn rifle is probably the best shooting 308 I've personally seen. It's the heavy barreled varmint version though. I prefer the lighter, Lite model, which is substantially lighter, and shoots almost as well.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

However, if you keep an eye out, you may find one for a great deal. Good luck with your search!!! I don't shoot 308 win often, but the last time I had a centerfire out, that's what it was. A heavy barrel varmint model 70. That is a sweet shooter, but the lightweight Tikka shoots almost as well.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

after a 1 year round robin with 3 gas 308's, I still have the Tikka CTR 5 years latter IIRC, sad it is a 6.5 but I handload for it, the 129 grain SST over H4350 is my favorite these days. The CRT is heavy, but it is accurate. With AR10's, 2 MOA at best is what I was seeing with everything I tried, even handloads with all three of the gas guns I had, the SW was worse IIRC, it was the first one I tried. I mean every once in a while I would shoot a 1 MOA group that I could circle and brag about, and the bullets landed near POA, but heavy and so so accurate just did not do it for me. At least the Tikka CTR is accurate, and very consistent, it is delivers the same group in the same place, and its not terribly ammunition sensitive. I also have a Tikka LW compact my grandsons use, which I plan to give one of them who still likes to hunt, it in its LW form with an old conquest scope, it has outshot any 10-12 pound gas 308 I had tried. I am not the best shot out there but I am better than 2 MOA most days. This is why I am thinking about the sig cross trax, LW bolt 308, folding stock magazine fed. That is once I finish another 3 projects I am working on.

All that talk about how good the Tikka is, and then you want to get a pos Sig cross? Holy schidt.. I am in agreement about AR10 308w, that don't shoot that well. I finally sold mine off. It was a true 1.5-1.6 moa shooter, for 10 shots. Just didn't have a need or use for that kind of shooter. My S&W Performance center always shoots sub moa 10 shot groups. The damn thing hammers them way out there too. It almost keeps up with my CTR's. The downfall is it's heavy, as you said about your AR10. That is the nature of the beast. You start looking at a really lightweight AR10/AR308, and you are going to lose precision on that platform.

BSA MAGA
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You start looking at a really lightweight AR10/AR308, and you are going to lose precision on that platform.
How do you know it isn't simply the challenge of squaring up the bolt face with chamber?
IMO, it is very hard to get a cartridge lined up after the casehead is tilted from an off camber bolt. The 308 is a hard cartridge to line up in a semi-auto.

I don't buy the lightweight explanation. Remember, AR15s shoot bughole groups.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The cross trax is 6.1 pounds, the attraction is the ability to take a larger magazine. The reviews have been good regards accuracy. The stock folds making it 26 inches long. If Tikka did something like this it would be my first choice

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dla
You start looking at a really lightweight AR10/AR308, and you are going to lose precision on that platform.
How do you know it isn't simply the challenge of squaring up the bolt face with chamber?
IMO, it is very hard to get a cartridge lined up after the casehead is tilted from an off camber bolt. The 308 is a hard cartridge to line up in a semi-auto.

I don't buy the lightweight explanation. Remember, AR15s shoot bughole groups.

Your going to loose precision when you house a much bigger cartridge in a reduced size AR10, such as the Ruger SFAR. Mainly because you lose a certain amount of rigidity. The little 223/556 cartridge is nothing for the platform, but when you step up to a bigger cartridge, like the 308, you want/need all the rigidity you can get, to attain the most precision from that platform. Some guys get it, and others will learn the hard way..

If you have a real lightweight AR10, and it shoots bugholes, please post the targets up. I'd love to see them.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Can you do this with an AR10 at 100 yards with 10 shots, starting with a cold clean barrel?

Or maybe this? Offhand at 50 yards?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had a 308 Rock River, would put bullets through the same hole, but it was very heavy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

446 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,571
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.