Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ol_mike
3/4 all day long

Nah...3/4 cam is for 75% racing, he wants the "RV" cam, that's for towing and stuff.

Lol.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Oh Jeebus. Fuqking with a good stock 5.3 that's to be used for everyday is about like fuqking with a stock, tested, Glock for everyday.

But if you must, nearly all the cam companies have techs that will offer a choice if you can give them enough info. Likely to be close to STOCK.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If some metal gibbles made it all the way down,
I'd be carefully inspecting everything to make
sure nothing got sucked up into the oil galleys
and around the crank and rods and up into the
valvetrain and such.
You might be needing to spend the camshaft
money for other doo dads

Good Luck with it

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by gunzo
Oh Jeebus. Fuqking with a good stock 5.3 that's to be used for everyday is about like fuqking with a stock, tested, Glock for everyday.

But if you must, nearly all the cam companies have techs that will offer a choice if you can give them enough info. Likely to be close to STOCK.

Did you take a moment to read the performance parameters for the cam I mentioned?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Look at Texas Speed. Pretty sure they will have what you're after.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yep!... i'd use the gifted used stock cam if it looks good and it's the correct grind#... but, if i had to buy a new one, or was doing a complete rebuild, then i would upgrade the cam slightly to work with other mods...

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ranger99
If some metal gibbles made it all the way down,
I'd be carefully inspecting everything to make
sure nothing got sucked up into the oil galleys
and around the crank and rods and up into the
valvetrain and such.
You might be needing to spend the camshaft
money for other doo dads

Good Luck with it
I'm going to take the block, crank, and rods to the machine shop to be cleaned and checked when I take the heads in for a valve job.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
call cam motion, when i was street racing/drag racing, Jay allen over there made me a lot of really good bump sticks. he knows his [bleep] (if he still owns it) Put something blower friendly in, so when you get bored you can put a whipple on that b*tch

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by mathman

Did you take a moment to read the performance parameters for the cam I mentioned?

Maybe my head in the sand. But bought a new 06 ext cab with the all aluminum engine. At 40 -45 mph if you got impatient & passed another vehicle & stomped it, it would spin the rear tires & accelerate way quicker than needed. Power when needed, enough to be respected. All that with 20 mpg on a good road.
20 years later I've bought another, same results. Totally acceptable for an every day rig.

No doubt an aftermarket cams can offer something, if tuned or reprogrammed & all that. Worth it for extended needs.

For everyday? why? cause ya can & have the extra cash is likely the answer. But, I'm gettin old & not as inclined to spend extra for a little as I used to be.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by ol_mike
3/4 all day long

I can't stand that old cam descriptor.
3/4 RACE is the correct terminology for the 1950's & 60's. I hated it too.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Lifted from the website:

This hydraulic roller cam is designed for the LS based Chevy 5.3L Vortec engine and offers smooth idle, excellent low end torque, and smooth lobe design for quiet valve train operation and longevity. This cam is a great performance replacement for pickups and four wheel drive vehicles needing more power while maintaining excellent drivability, durability and fuel economy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Say!... didn't Mr Whipple used to sell azzwipe on TV before he started making Superchargers ?...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget you will want someone to build a new computer or reprogram if you're wanting something more and don't want the check engine light and don't want the transmission shift points possibly messed up.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/08/24.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,820 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,290
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.