-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My son is buying some property and building a house close to Bentonville, VA. I've never hunted out east and am curious what hunting is like in this area. Deer, turkey, squirrel, rabbit. Let's hear your input.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Too close to DC for me but you won't starve to death hunting, or fishing, in Virginia.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If on blue ridge mountains side of bentonville , I figure your in for a treat
Used to live a few miles south of it
On the blue ridge side
Deer out the whazoo and some dam nice bucks mingling in the farm lands an mountain lands
Always a wall hanger browsing around , lot of them come down off the park , SNP.
Lot of white oak timber mixed with pine , hickory , persimmon trees here and there
Lots of little critters, turkey , unfortunately bear is down pretty bad now due to mange outbreak
Damned nice river on the west side with lots of small and large mouth bass
Catfish , perch
Mad Tom’s are your friend with bass and catfish
Bobcats , coyotes , ground hogs
Once you get to know some of the locals you can still find a farm here and there that’ll let you in to groundhog hunt , maybe even deer
Bentoville don’t have much to offer as far as stores , two convenience stores
Front royal isn’t far , couple gun shops there , lots of restaurants and royal king
All walks of life from ole hippies to full blown red necks

Kenneth

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
tag

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
There is a reason they came west.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If he likes an expanding population of blue haired hippies who are suing the government over air quality, he'll fit right in. Otherwise, the land price is not worth it.

Just FYI, none of those chicks are worth the $/acre price.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
A bit to far north

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Pretty area... good hunting.

LOTS of folks from DC and NOVA have raised the market.

If he builds smart and sits tight a few years he will do very well financially.

If this a forever location... maybe somewhere else would have been better.

Personally... I like being WEST of the I-81 corridor.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Should be decent fishin

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I appreciate all the input. They are tied to the DC area because of work.

I’ve always wanted to hunt out east and now will have a place to base out of.

The property is a 7 minute walk from the Shenandoah, so west of the Blue Ridge mountains.

IC B3

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Sky line Dr is a must see

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
^^^^**
This

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to live a few miles west of there in Wardensville WVa. Lots of good country and opportunity, but I much prefer the west (SE Oregon)

1Minute
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’m with Cash, no interest east of I-81 unless it’s south of I-64 or over on the northern neck.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lots of outdoor stuff to do in that area within easy driving. Other areas farther out might be better, but maybe too far for someone still working for a living. There are indeed some big deer in the general Front Royal area; I’ve seen some monstrous does along Skyline Drive. Huge expanses of public land on both sides of the VA/WV line. Lots of bears.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My folks purchased a farm in Bentonville Va. when i was still in high school back in the early 1970s. The farm abutted the SNP. This is where i cut my teeth learning to hunt deer. I hunted it for many many years until my folks couldn't keep up with it anymore and sold to retire. I loved that place and some of my fondest hunting memories were there. I shot a my 1st deer there, my 1st racked buck, 1st archery deer, and literally truckloads of whitetails for many many years. I'm sure its changed a lot now with access being more difficult. However if you spend some time digging you should be able to come up with some pretty good hunting. Lots of excellent fishing in the Shenandoah River. Plenty of public land too if your willing to dig deep and do some hiking. Warren county is like much of Northern Va. The hardest park of the hunt is finding access to good property.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
My son is buying some property and building a house close to Bentonville, VA. I've never hunted out east and am curious what hunting is like in this area. Deer, turkey, squirrel, rabbit. Let's hear your input.
My family has a place in Limeton, that I hunt. Plenty of groundhogs, squirrel, and quail. You will also see plenty of bear and deer. There are turkey everywhere. Rabbits can be seen along the fencerows. You will be very close to the Shenandoah River and also Skyline Drive. You will be halfway between Front Royal and Luray. Both small towns with some modern conveniences. I think you will like it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A lot of the comments have me feeling grateful for my son’s new home and property. Living in the Great Basin, I see very little game animals compared to your descriptions. Since I won’t be living there, the hippies won’t bother me as much. And I’m sure there are a lot of down-home, good people as well.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Bentonville is very nice, commute to DC will suck.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 51 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,670
Posts18,474,777
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.