Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
El Rancho Theater, Victorville, California back in the days when a kid in parts of Cali could still be a kid.

We had miles of desert back then to ride/race on... places called "Honda Valley", etc.

That movie still reverberates with me. Lake Elsinore race, Barstow-Vegas race, Baja 1000 and others. It was a simpler time with less technology but I would say more affordable fun. Malcolm Smith and Steve McQueen stole the show and captured some of the essence of the time. Never to be repeated sadly... grateful I could participate at some level.

Thanks!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Never saw the movie, looks ol-school cool.
Step-Dad Jim Crawford was a motorhead anything fast- he liked it. He had Montesa, 3 Husqvarna's 250 & 360, 650 Triumph Bonneville in the mid-60's, 55 Chevy 283, 34 plymouth coupe w/ rumble seat 327 corvette engine, ++. He built a V-8 intake manifold for the 55 chevy- 8 / 1 barrel motorcycle carbs, adjustable synchronizer system -in High School.
Anyway I got the motorhead bug from him I reckon.
My Picture; front 23' Honda Trail 125 [Hunting Bike] 135MPG average, 1980 Kaw. KDX-250, 2-cycle 756 original miles, MX street legal bike, 06 Yamaha R1 1,000cc sportbike , 01 Honda CR-500r last year they were made.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’d love to have that KDX-250 ! I’d probably kill my self on it. 🤪
And still want one of this little Honda Trail 125’s. Ought to be a fun little hunting bike to put around on.

My first motorcycle was a Honda Trail 70 I got in the 4th or 5th grade, then several Yamaha and Kawasaki dirt bikes through HS.
My last one was a Kawasaki KZ-1000. One Fast SOB at that time. I sold it and quit riding on the street after I lost two best friends in one year that were killed on their bikes.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The KDX-250 is fast- it'll stand straight up on the back wheel on a 2nd to 3rd gear wide open shift.

Yep the little Trail 125 will putt along quiet and sips gas.

Street riding is worse than ever- texter's abound.
Sad deal losing good friends .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lundtroller
El Rancho Theater, Victorville, California back in the days when a kid in parts of Cali could still be a kid.

We had miles of desert back then to ride/race on... places called "Honda Valley", etc.

That movie still reverberates with me. Lake Elsinore race, Barstow-Vegas race, Baja 1000 and others. It was a simpler time with less technology but I would say more affordable fun. Malcolm Smith and Steve McQueen stole the show and captured some of the essence of the time. Never to be repeated sadly... grateful I could participate at some level.

Thanks!

Indeed. Did my fair share of desert riding back in the mid-late 70's. 250, then 400 Husky. Desert "Hare and Hound". Much fun. Miss it a lot, just too damn old now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I saw it in a theater. Still have the DVD.

Last edited by natman; 03/08/24.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think both McQueen and Smith raced at Lake Elsinore when I was there, 1971 IIRC.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
On Any Sunday and Endless Summer (surfing) are classics.

Never saw either though. I was only 8 in 1971. Even then I was completely focused on football.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
did not see this one .2 years later in 1973 when i was 10 dad took me and my brother to see funny car summer .same style of movie about real drag racers

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Before my time but would cool to watch it on my 55” vis Youtube TV.

good vintage bikes for sure.

Watched a few mins of it on the cilly phone.

Thanks for posting it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Watched the show again for old time's sake.

My first bike was was like the red/white 71 60cc Yamaha JT-1 Mx (mine was a "used" yellow/black 72 JT-2 Mx) and everything was spot on except for the initial dubbed in sound. The little 60cc 2 stroke sounded just a little different... chased a lot of jackrabbits for many miles with that thing!

Times sure have changed in 50+ years! Lake Elsinore, California is certainly a little different like most of California. The Victorville area (Hesperia, Apple Valley, Adelanto, etc.) is probably 1/2 million people now vs 40,000 max in 1971. The "scar" from the old "Widowmaker" hill in Draper, Utah is still barely visible if you know where to look above all of the high $ homes/subdivisions on the mountainside. The Salt Lake Valley is now well north of 1 million people with more coming day by day. IIRC, the Mint 400 and the Barstow-Vegas "Run" are long gone. The Bonneville Salt Flats/Raceway are still there and still desolate... "Speed Week" is still an event if the conditions are "right" on the flats.

Malcolm Smith had a motorcycle shop right on I-15 in Riverside, California that I drove past many times as a kid... wish I had stopped and met the guy.

I later graduated to trials bikes and had a few "vintage" Hodakas for awhile. My son never caught the "fever" like I had so they were sold to others. Too bad(like our beloved firearms) we have not figured out how to take some of this stuff with us!!! Good times for sure but memories will have to do.

My Dad did take me to this because he knew I was mesmerized. He injured his shoulder after a fall on a Trail 90 near the Grand Canyon (Mt. Trumbull) and was a reluctant supporter of my interest. He'd rather take me shooting, hunting, fishing, or up in his ""Cub" for a ride! What a great father... he is now 87 years old and I am now doing my best to support him as he declines in an assisted living center. Changed 2 diapers today for him... puts life in perspective but doesn't take away from the wonderful memories. He still remembers a lot of the old stuff.

I liked (and had forgotten) Steve McQeen's line, "Every time I think the World is bad, I get on a motorcycle and meet some of the best or nicest people" or something like that. Need to remember that one these days after watching the news, SOTU address, etc. this upcoming year.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dad weren’t big on movies, we did see two at the drive-in tho; Tora Tora Tora and Patton, both great movies.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was born in 1968. So, I guess I was three when dad took me and my older brother to see that movie in the theater. I still, only, recall the hill-climbing scenes. I recalled it so clearly that I bought the DVD some years ago. I recall going to the local pool and eating Oreos afterward.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by natman
I saw it in a theater. Still have the DVD.

I’ve never actually seen it. I’ll have to find it and watch it.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ol_mike
The KDX-250 is fast- it'll stand straight up on the back wheel on a 2nd to 3rd gear wide open shift.

Yep the little Trail 125 will putt along quiet and sips gas.

Street riding is worse than ever- texter's abound.
Sad deal losing good friends .

Yep. I can’t even began too imagine how dangerous street riding would be nowadays.

Texters and phone surfers probably kill more folks than drunk drivers these days.

Saw an idiot driving down the Hwy the other day watching a video on his iPhone with it stuck right in front of his stupid face. 😡

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/09/24.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (16gage, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,741
Posts18,495,082
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.