Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What do you do with your Bear Paws?

Came across this today, pretty interesting and a High Priced food item.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll have one to go and a side of fries, please. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
KillerBee;
Top of the morning my cyber friend, I hope all is well with you folks on your side of the big hills this morning.

When I was working with a few Vietnamese folks, one of the Lead Hands asked me for some paws if I happened to shoot a local bear.

As I recall it was a delicacy for either his culture or his wife who was from China if I'm not remembering wrong. Sorry about that and no, I'm not sure which part of China either which of course would or could make a difference in cuisine and or medicinal tradition.

By that point in my hunting life I'd stopped chasing bears and wasn't even carrying a tag, a situation which has now changed for me as we are swimming in bears and more need to be removed from the local ecosystem.

Anyways should anyone else have that requested of them, my only thought is to check local game laws and ensure you're within compliance.

Here in BC I cannot sell any parts of a black bear unless I'm a licensed trapper.

I can legally give parts or a whole bear carcass to someone, but they must have recorded my BC Hunter Number and the cancelled tag as well. These days I want to say a photo "should" suffice, but do check in case the law says "in writing".

Hope that helped and was useful.

Best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Yeah - right after the jellied moose nose and "black meat".

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One thing for sure..............................................................

you're not having that cooked by a $20/hr fast food cook in Cali.

Another thing for sure.............................I'd try it.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wow that's fungshwayNsh1t

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for posting KB. I have some Nigerian American friends that I go to church with. Anyway we can harvest alot of deer here south of the border in VA. On occasion I'll have several deer quartered in a cooler and take them all to church and leave with an empty cooler. One of my friends asks me "what do you do with heads" of course I said "drag them off to the bush". He says "can you bring me one?" I ask "with or without antlers?" He says "just the head" I answer "I'm not skinning it" he says " that's okay"

I bring him a deer heads he cooks them in a fire place. It takes all kinds brother's. Spring is right around the corner daffodils are flowering here. Hope the rest your winter is mild.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Cooked hair on - is that called bushy meat?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Served with it's own toothpicks.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Prefer bear claws myself (as in pastry)

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
KillerBee;
Top of the morning my cyber friend, I hope all is well with you folks on your side of the big hills this morning.

When I was working with a few Vietnamese folks, one of the Lead Hands asked me for some paws if I happened to shoot a local bear.

As I recall it was a delicacy for either his culture or his wife who was from China if I'm not remembering wrong. Sorry about that and no, I'm not sure which part of China either which of course would or could make a difference in cuisine and or medicinal tradition.

By that point in my hunting life I'd stopped chasing bears and wasn't even carrying a tag, a situation which has now changed for me as we are swimming in bears and more need to be removed from the local ecosystem.

Anyways should anyone else have that requested of them, my only thought is to check local game laws and ensure you're within compliance.

Here in BC I cannot sell any parts of a black bear unless I'm a licensed trapper.

I can legally give parts or a whole bear carcass to someone, but they must have recorded my BC Hunter Number and the cancelled tag as well. These days I want to say a photo "should" suffice, but do check in case the law says "in writing".

Hope that helped and was useful.

Best to you all.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne, I trust you and your family are doing great, in the beautiful part of Canada where you live.

Like you after killing many bears, I ended up thinking they are fascinating and beautiful so I stopped killing them.

When I was hunting them a fellow I knew approached me and asked me if I would save and sell him the Gallbladders, because he had an Asian friend that was paying big money for the Pile (Not sure what he meant by big money I didn't even ask) I said no sir, if your friend wants their gallbladders tell him to go and hunt them.

It is interesting to see what other cultures eat, and especially how they prepare certain foods. The guy that was cooking in the video was obviously a professional chef, a lot of work went into preparing it hey?

Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I'll have one to go and a side of fries, please. grin

L.W.

Too funny, I'll eat the fries you can have the Paw, then I would tell my Pa what you ate lol.

Last edited by KillerBee; 03/09/24.

KB

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The hair on in the cooking doesn’t look to appealing to me, but I’d bet it would make a pretty good soup.
I’ve still got four paws in my freezer, I may boil them down to remove the claws. It looked like it worked pretty well. I don’t know if it would be better to leave the toe bone piece in them or not.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotta be better than liver n onions

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Like you after killing many bears, I ended up thinking they are fascinating and beautiful so I stopped killing them.

Good for you Killer. And I can think of tastier looking things to put in my soup, for sure.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What do you do with your Bear Paws?

Admire them from a necessary distance & as Greg Allman said, β€œβ€¦.& try to move away slowly.”

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SupFoo

Good for you Killer. And I can think of tastier looking things to put in my soup, for sure.

Hi SupFoo, thanks for the comment, but to be honest I was not a hard decision to give up killing bears.

After bowhunting bears for years it became way too easy and not much of a challenge so I focused my energy to bowhunting Moose, Elk and Deer, which is much harder.

I will never forget the day I packed it in. I was sitting in my stand, and I had a bucket of honey combs I got from a Beekeeper, which I had hanging in a tree beside my primary Barrel Bait, 13 yards away from my stand.

A big beautiful Chocolate sow came into the bait with two cubs, while she was feeding at the barrel bait, the cubs were climbing the tree and trying to reach the honeycombs and jumping on it and would fall off the tree in there attempt. Every time the cubs fell to the ground mamma would walk over to them and give them a big kiss on the nose, then go back to the barrel bait.

It was the first time I got to see a sow with cubs interact like that and thought to myself, how could I kill a bear like that. Anyhow that is the day I packed it in.

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 03/10/24.

KB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And sometimes the bear eats you..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (007FJ, 22250rem, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,370
Posts18,506,547
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.