Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#19285416 03/09/24
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am considering buying either some boots or gaiters that will presumably prevent snake bites. I go out walking and bird watching in areas that likely have venomous snakes (I haven't seen one yet since moving to Arkansas though) and since I am often looking for birds up in the trees instead of watching the ground I obviously increase my risk of being bitten.

Should I buy full on snake proof boots or will gaiters suffice? I assume most snake bites are on the lower leg but am not sure about that. I suspect that some bite the foot and therefore gaiters that only cover the lower leg and not the top of the foot might not be adequate. I don't know if the leather of the boot itself would prevent the penetration of the fangs.

Looking for guidance from you all.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have snake pants

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I have snake pants

Holy Christ! lol

Come clean already!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rufous
I am considering buying either some boots or gaiters that will presumably prevent snake bites. I go out walking and bird watching in areas that likely have venomous snakes (I haven't seen one yet since moving to Arkansas though) and since I am often looking for birds up in the trees instead of watching the ground I obviously increase my risk of being bitten.

Should I buy full on snake proof boots or will gaiters suffice? I assume most snake bites are on the lower leg but am not sure about that. I suspect that some bite the foot and therefore gaiters that only cover the lower leg and not the top of the foot might not be adequate. I don't know if the leather of the boot itself would prevent the penetration of the fangs.

Looking for guidance from you all.

I would buy everything snake proof they offered.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Wabi is worried about that gardner snake sleeping under his tomato plant. hahha

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a pair of Chippewas in the classifieds....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yukon Jack
Rose’s lime juice
Filtered over ice into a chilled up glass

Have a ride home handy

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bought a pair of rattler brand hip leggings back in the day. Damn they are HOT! But I wore them when I needed to.
I picked a set of wrap around armadillo kind of things off of a member here that I wear now. They come just below the knee. I’m depending on my leather boots for my feet.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
When I started prairie dog shooting in the west I chose gaiters. They always seemed to be a pain to fool with & wondered if my exposed hiking boots were sufficient.

After a few trips I broke down & bought a nice lightweight pair of knee high snake proof boots. One of those palm to head smacks, why didn't I do this sooner? So much more comfortable & comforting.

If I lived full time amongst poisonous snakes, was active in their area in their season & had concerns I'd buy the nicest most comfortable pair of boots I could find.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are so few people bitten on the legs by snakes that it's not even worth worrying about. Just don't stick your hands in places you can't see well.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 03/10/24.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In Aus I have some lightweight gaiters more for burrs etc. I have snake gaiters but too damn hot and heavy. Although most Australian snakes are relatively short fanged so reasonable long pants usually suffice. And carrying a compression bandage snake kit.

I understand many snakes in the USA don’t respond to compression bandages.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by rockdoc
I understand many snakes in the USA don’t respond to compression bandages.

They respond, alright.

They'll bite the crap outta you if ya try and put a compression bandage on em.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I stepped on a copperhead once while we were confirming a wetland delineation. That sumbitch wrapped itself up around my ankle and calf, and seeing as how I was standing on it's body, it was NOT happy. Loose pants kept me from getting bitten by that lanky SOB.

Buy the boots if you are going to be in areas of concern. You aren't a chickensçhitt if you do, you are just being cautious.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
From what I understand the number one reason people get bitten by snakes is when they try to kill it.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I routinely walk through waist or higher grass at our ranch in south TX. I’ve yet to walk up on a venomous snake out there. Of the rattlers I have bumped into, they are usually away from heavy cover, oddly enough.

My dog and my parents’ dog both got bit by rattlers on their back concrete patio. Two separate occasions. Turns out the snakes enjoy that patio in the spring and fall since it tends to retain a little heat in the evening.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably gonna jinx myself and get bit this year once they come out....................but here goes.

Heading rapidly toward my 8th decade on this planet, and having run around an awful lot of snaky places in about 6.5 of those decades, I've never found the need for special snake boots or gaiters. That's just me. As someone else pointed out, get 'em if you feel the need.

Here's some info on Arkansas though, take it with however many grains of salt you see fitting (my bold)

https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/venomous-snakes-12879/

In Arkansas, statistics documented between 1960 and 2007 by the Arkansas Department of Health noted that only three Arkansans died from snakebites from native species, with all three occurring in the 1960s. One death in 1960 was from a rattlesnake (unknown species) bite, while the other two, in 1964 and 1965, were from bites from an unspecified snake species. Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock (Pulaski County) typically sees twenty to twenty-five snakebites a year, but some of these might be from nonvenomous snakes.

When compared to other states, North Carolina had the most people who suffered venomous snakebites in a single year (nineteen percent of all venomous snakebites), followed by Arkansas with seventeen percent, and Texas with fifteen percent. Half of all bites occur in the age group eighteen to twenty-eight years, with more men being bitten than women.

Humans have a much better statistical chance of being killed from an automobile accident, a lightning strike, an incidence of drowning, a hunting accident, a bee/wasp sting, or an arachnid bite than being killed by a bite from a venomous snake.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I grew up in and still hunt in Arkansas. There are a lot of venomous snakes. I hunt with snake boots even on cool mornings because when it warms up they will come out and sun themselves. I almost stepped on a cottonmouth twenty something years ago on one such day.

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I suspected that many snake bites are on the hand but that is not really what I am concerned about with my activities. I am more concerned about my feet and legs. I have a couple pair of Russell Mocassin boots but they aren't their snake boots. I think they would most likely prevent a fang from penetrating but am not sure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dust the snake bites with cornmeal and fry. Yummy!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
seems like every fall I walk up on a rattle snake out here in West TX. I am always in my knee high snake boots when I cross the gate on to the lease.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 12344mag, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,824
Posts18,477,888
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.