These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
99 F250 7.3 354000 miles

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Air Starters?

That's a ways back, glad they didn't catch on.

My dad drove a gasoline tanker, day trips, for decades & I'd go with him about once a year. While he was loading I'd walk around the terminal just looking at trucks n stuff. Just as I was walking right in front of a cab over truck the driver hit the air starter. What a quick hideous sound, a sudden burst of an air wrench, volume times 5 followed by a big diesel firing up. Never before or since in my 70 years have I been that startled. I was about 8 yo & it felt like in turned me inside out. Never forgot it.

Thought the driver had done something to scare me & when I told dad he explained what that vile apparatus was.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunzo
Air Starters?

My dad drove a gasoline tanker, day trips, for decades & I'd go with him about once a year. While he was loading I'd walk around the terminal just looking at trucks n stuff. Just as I was walking right in front of a cab over truck the driver hit the air starter. What a quick hideous sound, a sudden burst of an air wrench, volume times 5 followed by a big diesel firing up. Never before or since in my 70 years have I been that startled. I was about 8 yo & it felt like in turned me inside out. Never forgot it.

Thought the driver had done something to scare me & when I told dad he explained what that vile apparatus was.

Air starts don't bother me. Of course I'm used it on aircraft. I'm sure the sound is about the same for a truck. Must say, in 30 years working in the HE field, never seen or heard an air start on a truck. When did they stop using it?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My first exposure to an air starter was about 1976 while working at the Exxon gas station. The transports all had them. It didn't scare me as I was fascinated by anything related to more power. I appreciated them the same as I celebrate a jet fighter in full afterburner.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
2004 lb7 duramax. Farm truck and daily driver

Attached Images
IMG_6625.jpeg (35.8 KB, 55 downloads)
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Originally Posted by gunzo
Air Starters?

Air starts don't bother me. Of course I'm used it on aircraft. I'm sure the sound is about the same for a truck. Must say, in 30 years working in the HE field, never seen or heard an air start on a truck. When did they stop using it?

First & last time I ever heard it. About 8 yo & 3 feet away. Yep, startled the hell out of me. Hell, must have been about 1960+. They never caught on I guess. Had it been further away or common, no thing.

Top fuel dragsters firing up about as haunting as it gets & represent about 12,000 HP, but beauty. Just as long as you're expecting it.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10Glocks, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 673, 1_deuce, 10 invisible), 1,626 guests, and 804 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,508
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.