Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
and decide it's too light ?
I have a Rem. Model Seven 308wn., 18 1/2'' barrel, light stock, 2x8-36 nikon monarch scope. From field positions I don't shoot it very well compared to Rem. 700 sporter 25-06.
Just wonder how many folks feel that lightweight rifles aren't for them.
?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Funny question/OP. What's too light??? I've seen a lot of guys not be able to shoot a lightweight rifle well. Because of this, they may decide to turn in their man card and accept defeat.. Probably not though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, sold it. .375 H&H 700 KS mountain rifle. 6# without scope. Good riddance.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I shoot my light rifles as well as my heavier guns. Light guns get carried and shot a lot more though, and the largest chambering is .30-06.
If you can, by the same rifle in a light recoiling caliber and practice with it. I have same scope/mounts on 3 montanas and the .223 gets the most range time by a large margin.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your Model Seven has a walnut stock, I’m your huckleberry. I have a heavy barrel 700 in 308 I’d trade you for it.

I shot a 350 Remington magnum 600 since the 60’s, well sort of. I stopped shooting it along the way. I think I could shoot it ok. But it wasn’t much fun as old age kicked in. It probably never was much fun.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mrs Blacktailer's Kimber Super America in 308 was pretty light. The barrel was not good and when I rebarreled to 6.5 Manbun I went with a slightly heavier contour and 24 inches. It only added about 6oz but it points and settles much better since all the added weight is at the muzzle.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I got a model 7 308 16.5 barrel

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I shoot my light rifles as well as my heavier guns. Light guns get carried and shot a lot more though, and the largest chambering is .30-06.
If you can, by the same rifle in a light recoiling caliber and practice with it. I have same scope/mounts on 3 montanas and the .223 gets the most range time by a large margin.

That is sorta what I did. Still haven't found the 223 Montana yet.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
IMHO, heavier rifles are easier to shoot well, but I like my lightweights for hunting.

It's all about task and purpose.

I have 2 M7s with Manners EH8 stocks, one in 350RM and the other in .260Rem. Both are just at 7lbs "all up", very hunting capable and are sub MOA with handloads, but it takes a little more effort to get there. Neither is what I pick for long shooting session, although the .260 is my favorite for all around hunting practice.

I consider both to be more mid-range guns and that's how they're set up, with 2.5-8x36 scopes (the .350Rm also has a 1.25-4X). IF I know I have a chance to shoot longer I go with my heavier 24" barreled rifles with higher magnification scopes that are easier to shoot more accurately.

Last year I put together what I consider to be a "cross-over" or midweight rifle for longer distances based on a Rem 700 in 300WM. Wanted to stay right at 7lbs for the rifle so around 8.5lbs total weight with a Bartlein 2B barrel and a Manners EH3 stock, I came close:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It's very shootable, and not overly heavy for carrying.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I built up a 1912 Steyr Mauser with an 18" soda straw barrel chambered to .308 Win. Stock is a Lawson thumbhole type made from some type of lightweight wood that looks a bit like maple but not sure what it is. I've never weighed it and various friends have estimated it to be somewhere 5.5 to maybe 6.5 pounds with scope, sling and a full magazine. It's more than accurate enough but the barrel does heat up rapidly and takes a while to cool down. I tried it out on a couple of deer hunts but never took a shot at a deer. I just could not hold it steady enough to feel good about taking the shot. Kind of a fun gun anyway but useful only at the range IMHO.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
After practicing with short lightweight rifles compared to more of a middle-weight- for me there's a considerable difference.
I passed on a 300ish yard shot on a deer last fall- with the M7 308. I was walking on the side of a hill- used a daypack for a rest- the reticle was moving around too much.
A short barrel definitely doesn't help but it's nice in the thick stuff and from a treestand.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I bought a Ruger #3 that was rebarreled with a fly-weight .270 barrel. All-in with scope it weighed about 6.5 lbs. Handiest deer rifle ever - short & quick handling. The tiny butt gave you a sharp wallop though when you pulled the trigger. Also you had to be careful how you rested the forend when shooting. The recoil caused a change in POI in the direction opposite where forend rested on a hard surface. Very accurate otherwise. I eventually rebarreled it with a med heavy barrel & installed Ruger #1 wood.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by pertnear
I bought a Ruger #3 that was rebarreled with a fly-weight .270 barrel. All-in with scope it weighed about 6.5 lbs. Handiest deer rifle ever - short & quick handling. The tiny butt gave you a sharp wallop though when you pulled the trigger. Also you had to be careful how you rested the forend when shooting. The recoil caused a change in POI in the direction opposite where forend rested on a hard surface. Very accurate otherwise. I eventually rebarreled it with a med heavy barrel & installed Ruger #1 wood.
Yeah I shoot accurately off of a shooting bench- I can get the same hold every shot and stay inside of an inch.
When I've practiced prone bipod, prone elbows, sitting w/shooting sticks, sitting- elbows, standing hand against a post. Softball size groups.
I mean that I shoot one shot in each of these positions. ^

Last edited by ol_mike; 03/10/24.

Posted by Bristoe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had a Tikka 300 win mag ,with scope and ready to hunt was 6Lb 10oz. It was a perfect fit and carried well. If it was even a 7 mag, I would have kept it. but in 300 it was a bit much . It had a limbsaver which helped , than I put a Brake on it. It went from abusive to annoying. recoil was greatly improved but the noise was at unexceptable levels. Some one offered enough to take it away.......

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i have a Rem m7 with a 18.5" barrel in 7-08 and it don't bother me. i have a Husqvarna m46 in a 24" barrel in 9.3x57 and it i guesstimate 6.5 - 7.5 lbs and i luv it. the Husky is a birchwood stock and the barrel is thin. my gunsmith D&T for a scope mount and i put on a 2-7x Leopold. i use 275gr WFN GC and IMR4895 that goes 1800-1900fps. recoil started to bother me at 2100-2200fps.

i had a Rem m700 Mountain Rifle in '06 and that rifle was cursed. 1 3/4 - 2 1/2" at 100 yards with 180gr Rem RN (5 shots/bench). i tried to handload for it (150-220gr Hornady, Speer, Sierra...IMR/H powders) but it was worse. i had for for 3 - 4 years when i gave up on it and sold it.

most of my rifles are standard to mid weight rifles (7.5 - 9lbs). i've gotten away from light weight rifles, because you can fry an egg with only 3 shots. light weight rifles are harder to hold on target than standard rifles. lightweight rifles may cause recoil that becomes unbearable. standard to mid weight rifles are my choice when it comes to shooting.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes, two of ‘em. 6-6 1/4 lbs with scope is too light for me to shoot accurately.

My light mtn rifles all weigh between 6lbs 9 ozs to 6lbs 13ozs. That’s what works best for me.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The whole reason I have light rifles is because I hunt the Rockies at 7k to 12k altitude. If all I was going to do was carry my rifle from the truck to the whitetail stand I can’t think of any reason to own a lightweight rifle.

But carrying a 8-9lb rifle all day while still hunting the spruce-fir elk jungles, or humping up a 50-60 degree slope from 8k to 9k altitude, or doing a 600 yd crawl-stalk with the rifle slung under me putting the sneak on a pronghorn….well, the thought of doing that with a heavy azz rifle gives me the heebie-jeebies…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The lightest rifle I own is a Rem 700 Ti in 7-08.
With scope & mounts, it's 6 lb even & it's a legitimate 5 shot 1/2 MOA rifle.

I wish every hunting rifle that I have was that light.

But an even 7 lb scoped, is still OK, just not quite what I prefer.

MM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sam_H
Yes, sold it. .375 H&H 700 KS mountain rifle. 6# without scope. Good riddance.

Had the same rifle in left handed. Recoil and muzzle rise was brutal. Managed to use it for 3 years or so before selling it. Also had a similar rifle built by Brown Precision in 450 Ackley. Didn’t own that one long enough to hunt with it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

312 members (219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 26 invisible), 1,976 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,706
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.