-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's that time of year where I start thinking about my hunts for next year and revisiting my gear choices.

Been pondering my kill kit. It weighs 1lb 15oz and has:
5 Black Ovis game bags
A 24"x48" sheet of plastic
75 ft of parachord
1 pair gutting gloves
Small roll flag tape

The heaviest item are the game bags (1lb, 4oz). Are there lighter weight bags in existence - they must be able to hold meat while hanging in a tree. No cheesecloth bags for me......

Alternatives?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Over a hung carcase...a doona cover and a couple of clothes pegs.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
What’s that roll flag tape for? I am partial to caribou game bags.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Flag tape. Before GPS, I used to flag my way in. Now I simply hang 1 big piece, mainly to see the meat before I stumble right up to it. And fing yogi chewing on it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just me- I always have several pairs of
gloves in case one craps out before I'm
done with the job.
Years ago I got some kind of infection in
my fingers from dressing a deer, and they
swelled up like sausages. Don't want any
more of that action.
Gloves are cheap

Good piece of good rope.
Knife
Small hand sanitizer

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Argali game bags are excellent and lighter than Black Ovis. If you’re using 5 you must be processing elk or moose, correct?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters
Flag tape. Before GPS, I used to flag my way in. Now I simply hang 1 big piece, mainly to see the meat before I stumble right up to it. And fing yogi chewing on it.

One trick I learned (and fully believe it has saved my ASS a couple of times) is to plant a tall pole shoved into the ground or wedged into rocks with flagging on it, tied to all the meat bags, visable due to the height or sticking out to the side if in timber. Whatever it takes to have it visible from the direction that you’ll be returning from. I try to get all meat away from the carcass to an open area before I leave for the night but sometimes that just doesn’t happen.

If you come back and that pole is down, you know you’ve had a visitor.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Good idea gents. Like some of you I hunt in griz country as well. I am one of those people who know right where I am at but could see where giving myself a flag a good bit out would put me on notice on my approach.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Most of what I hunt gets carried out on or in my backpack. Not much use for game bags to stash critters. Unless I am elk hunting, then I usually carry a bag or two.
To be completely honest, I usually just throw whatever I kill on my backpack and head home. (Mostly coues deer and javelina). So, my kill kit is simple. One fixed blade knife, one havalon with extra blades, mule tape, flagging tape, and a couple pairs of gloves.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fshaw
Argali game bags are excellent and lighter than Black Ovis. If you’re using 5 you must be processing elk or moose, correct?

Yes

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's a good tip!

I've shot most of my elk in the timber. I like to see a marker before I get to the meat. I too move the meat 1-200 feet from the carcass. I've never had an issue but have hunted in a couple places with significant bear populations. I'm not too worried about black bears but I'd greatly prefer to see what's going on before I'm feet from it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two pairs of gloves always. Still carry flagging tape.

I also carry a gallon size zip-lock for the heart and carry a quart size zip-lock to throw bloody gloves into. Usually a quart-size has food in it that gets eaten right before pack out, so kind of dual purpose.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by bwinters

One trick I learned (and fully believe it has saved my ASS a couple of times) is to plant a tall pole shoved into the ground or wedged into rocks with flagging on it, tied to all the meat bags, visable due to the height or sticking out to the side if in timber. Whatever it takes to have it visible from the direction that you’ll be returning from. I try to get all meat away from the carcass to an open area before I leave for the night but sometimes that just doesn’t happen.

If you come back and that pole is down, you know you’ve had a visitor.

I do the same thing….but I thought I was overthinking it. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 20 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,368
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.