Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Several 1899/99”s at the gunshow this past weekend , with sone ridiculous prices. I tryed to buy a 308 e model , blond hardwood stock , tang crack, blueing wear . Asking price was 800.00,, offered him 600.00, and he was highly offended!! Saw one of the cheapest 1899 h in 30-30, 300.00 dollars. There wasnt a sq. Inch of that rifle that wasnt messed up . Stock had enough pins and nails to build a small house. Reciever drilled of center, on top, plus a few different size holes in side. Forearm spljt and missing a big chunk, etc.
And probably to top it off , a guy had a couple of older 1899 and 4 or 5 Winchester 92 and 94’s. They had all been in a fire , Im guessing in a safe. All of them looked like someone tried case hardening on all of them, and failed miserably! He told me I could have any of them for a thousand apiece!!
I did end up buying a 308 model C , never owned a clip model. Metal nice, wood could use refinishing, no cracks. $600.00

Last edited by kenster99; 03/11/24. Reason: Spelling
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Around here the dealers just take em from one show to the next, never selling any by the looks of the tags. Sounds like a good deal on the 99C though!

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looks to me like those guys get to keep their 99s.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I guess its a good deal Fireball . Never really paid much attention to them, except one in 284 I passed up a few years ago for 1000.00, with xtra magazine and some ammo . Should have got that one.
Kinda looking for a 20” 308 , this rifle feels sort of “clubby “ in my hand.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]Time for some elbow grease and Tru-Oil

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S99VG

Some guys just like to go to the shows because they are social and fun. You get to hang out with other like-minded people. Bunch of gun geeks in a sea of gun geeks. People that really want to sell guns take them to auction houses or put them on Gunbroker.

As far as the guns go at gun shows, a lot of guys are there for other reason than to sell their guns, because they are retired and don't really need the money, so they put their "don't really want to sell it" price on them and if they sell, they sell, if they don't they don't. And if they don't that gives them a great excuse to go get a table at the next gun show and so on and so on...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Around here, guns aren't selling to well, just ammo and reloading stuff! Knives are real slow. My buddy just sells ammo. And does pretty well.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I hear you. The guy that was offended by my offer wasnt over 40, and I see him at alot of the shows in Idaho . When I mentioned to him the long tang crack, his statement was , 'they all do that'. I went over and bought the 99C immediately after that and paraded right in front of him. Told him I bought it for 600 w/o any cracks !
It was a good show Saddlering , and I sold around 500.00 in ammo, mostly hard to get and vintage stuff. 250 Savage, and 300 Savage big sellers, along with some 350 Rem mag, 32-40 etc.
Sold 3 rifles, 2 handguns, and brought home the 99C, and a ( you will love this ) Win. 94 Saddle ring carbine in 30 WCF,and a beautiful 1953 Rem 721 in 300 H&H. I posted pics of that in the new Remington fans column .
Fun stuff !

Last edited by kenster99; 03/11/24. Reason: spelling
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 99guy

Some guys just like to go to the shows because they are social and fun. You get to hang out with other like-minded people. Bunch of gun geeks in a sea of gun geeks. People that really want to sell guns take them to auction houses or put them on Gunbroker.

As far as the guns go at gun shows, a lot of guys are there for other reason than to sell their guns, because they are retired and don't really need the money, so they put their "don't really want to sell it" price on them and if they sell, they sell, if they don't they don't. And if they don't that gives them a great excuse to go get a table at the next gun show and so on and so on...

Yeah, I see that. And if that's their ojective I have no problem with it at all. I frankly have no issue with overpriced firearms at gunshows as they usually fail to grab my attention and are quickly forgotten. And if guys are going to shows for reasons of socializing and having fun then more power to them. I'm certainly nobody for finding fault with that and, if I ever happen to leave a show feeling frustrated and angry, then I'll see that as a serious reason for reconsidering the choices I make. Life is too short for getting pissed off at this sort of thing.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy

I have lived all over the country and EVERY place has a group of dealers that are exactly like this. Once I get to know them, I just pass by their tables without even looking at their stuff. Already seen it all 10x over.

We all go to shows because you just never know. Just when it seems that it’s a total waste, you find something worthwhile.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thats true RAS, I guess you learn what dealers to put on ignore !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I knew a nasty assed dealer that used to show and sometimes had things that interested me. He was known as Fat Paul. No schit. He had a sour disposition and was short and rude to talk to. He acted like he was up here, and everyone on the other side of the table was down there. I learned to just walk by his table. I don't care what he had I didn't want one.

Last time I seen him he was all jaundiced and I figured he was on his way out.

Last edited by Fireball2; 03/12/24.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
some of these guys are trying to get collector prices for modified guns. They probably don't realize that they are modified and don't rate collector prices. And then some of them are just jerks.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Alot of the guys that do the shows around here, set up to get the deals, before the show opens.
A hell of alot of dealing go's on before the show opens, or at set up the night before.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Same here. And the last hour of the show, everyone running around trying to make a deal (me included). Its like a shark feeding frenzy !! I bought that 99C in 308 at end of the show, guy was packing up .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlering
Alot of the guys that do the shows around here, set up to get the deals, before the show opens.
A hell of alot of dealing go's on before the show opens, or at set up the night before.
I've found this to be especially true at collector shows. Sometimes I've sold more before the public was let in than I sold during the rest of the show.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 5 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,298
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.