Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
I'd still pick a BRNO model 21 any day of the week. It's a commercial small ring '98 Mauser action that weighs 6 lbs 5 Oz. sans scope. Whoever decided on a 21" barrel for this 8x57mm JS Mauser had a stroke of brilliance. Weight and balance are perfect and the action is silky smooth.

I also like the Brno offerings but 'best' is one heck of a hill to climb.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice work by Jim on the Mex, but.... what is the stock for in the background?

Originally Posted by TeeBone
1910 Mexican in 7x57 by Jim Wisner. The action is a good choice for that cartridge.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I prefer the FN’s made around 1949-1951 which had the original “C” ring. I have been told they were made of “ordinance” steel similar to 4140 rather than the 86 series steel which was case hardened and from which the typical military contact 98’s were made. The ordinance steel, of course, is heat treated.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RinB
The ordinance steel, of course, is heat treated.

And what is the 86 series?

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
John is on target. The Mark X-Zastava Mausers and others-correct the left side receiver weakness of the magazine thumb relief .

Please elaborate and describe what exactly the omission of the thumb cut adds?

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by z1r
John is on target. The Mark X-Zastava Mausers and others-correct the left side receiver weakness of the magazine thumb relief .

The omission takes away an excellent gas escape route.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by z1r

Which is why I asked how this is an "improvement." I'm interested in hearing 450's view on what weakness he perceives was "corrected?"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Both sides have their point on the thumb cut. Mostly for me it matters not at all either way. My Heym, being pretty much military in configuration except for the bolt handle and safety, has the cut and the loading slot. Since it wears irons and a red dot, those features are functional if I ever want to fart around with clips. Maybe someday if I run out of other stuff to dick around with…..

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by JRGunmaker
Nice work by Jim on the Mex, but.... what is the stock for in the background?

Originally Posted by TeeBone
1910 Mexican in 7x57 by Jim Wisner. The action is a good choice for that cartridge.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Another project... for a M700 in 260 Rem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FN Browning Safari or JC Higgins Model 50.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by z1r

Which is why I asked how this is an "improvement." I'm interested in hearing 450's view on what weakness he perceives was "corrected?"

Husqvarna made "improved"/"strengthened" small ring 1894/1896/38 commercial Mauser actions for their 640 series before they started using large ring FN actions in the same 640 series. The "improved"/"strengthened" change involved eliminating the thumb slot in the left receiver rail. I have seen exactly 1 broken military Mauser action that was dropped on a concrete floor and cracked below the thumb slot. I think that the probability of breaking a military Mauser action is probably a fraction of 1% regardless of where and when they were made, except for Chinese made military 98s, an action that I wouldn't trust under any circumstance.

Q
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Q
I own a half dozen Mauser action rifles. I really like the thumb cut. I find that sometimes when reloading a scoped rifle in a hurry (refilling the magazine), a round can end up to the left of the bolt. If you have the thumb cut, it’s easier to keep that from happening.

My rifles are:
FN Commercial in .257 Roberts
FN Commercial in .30-06
FN Commercial from a JC Higgins M50 converted to .25-06
German K98 action customized in .270
FN prewar action used by Husqvarna in 9.3x62
FN military action customized in .22-250

All of them are sweet shooters, but the bolt on the Husqvarna is a bit stiff and could use some elbow grease.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Vz-24 built a 270 thirty years ago if I could have only one gun that would be it it’s not perfect by any means but very accurate

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
gave my daughter a FN Mauser that has a new Brux barrel 8 twist chambered in 257 Roberts , this rifle has a set trigger set at 8 oz.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have ran BRNO, Oberndorf, FN and Interarms Mausers. They're all good. And most little quirks can be remedied, some can't.

I will say this:

The FN mausers seem to have most proper scope base screw holes.

Then, the warne steel bases and warne rings for fn mauser, are fkn dreamy stuff.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by UncleGrinch
Save yourself some money and find an Interarms/Zastava Mark X rifle or action. Most of your customizing is already done. You can spend your money on a nice barrel and stock.
Originally Posted by UncleGrinch
Save yourself some money and find an Interarms/Zastava Mark X rifle or action. Most of your customizing is already done. You can spend your money on a nice barrel and stock.

Agree. For the money, can’t beat em.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Flying in the face of popularity...no discussion of commercial Mauser suitability would be complete without mention of the Remington Model 30 Express, merely a Remington factory sporterized US Model of 1917, which was in fact a 'pure' Mauser stolen from Germany by the Brits to produce the Enfield P-14. Mauser did not bother to sue the Brits, since they were killing each other at an alarming rate at the time.
In any event, the nickel steel 1917 has been used in some of the most powerful cartridges without problems. Springfield eventually had to convert 1903 production to nickel steel, to resolve their heat treat boondoggles.
The 1917 had an unfairly deserved reputation for less accuracy than the '03...that was caused by the Camp Perry matches of 1918, in which 1917 rifles were issued with no provision for windage adjustment. Scorebooks issued to shooters for that match had pictures of how much Kentucky windage to hold in a 5 mph and 10 mph wind. Small wonder the '03 won.
Anyone building a one off rifle would do well to consider the "American made Mauser" as a foundation...if one would consider the obsolete .30-06 as a cartridge, the 5 groove nickel steel cut rifled barrel would be hard to beat. If anybody is interested, CMP has a thorough article online re the 1917.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1234, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,011
Posts18,481,517
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.