Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Was charging and replacing bad ones then I added them up! all 12 volt.
3 for cars and Pickup
4 AGM for wheelers and boat ( they don't last like the lead acid ) about 2 years kept charged
4 Lead Acid for boat and trailer
1 New Lithium for electric trolling motor

Ad them up and any maintenance ideas for longer life.

My outside batteries are trickle charged once a month, the rest are stored in the garage and trickle charged a couple of times every winter. Seen to many battery fires to leave a trickle charger on all the time.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
13. No batteries for the boat because it needs a total repower, which I probably won't get to in this lifetime. Only one is outside on trickle. It's in a spare car. The trucks outside get used enough to negate trickling.

I got all the materials to set up a trickle system in the shop, for the batteries in storage that don't get used annually. That only amounts to a few, like the motorcycle, electric trolling motor, etc.

NRA Life Endowment Member
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
6 for vehicles, camper, rec-cabin water pump, 6 AGM 4 wheelers/snow machines.

None on trickle charge- I top most of them out monthly if removed/kept in heated garage and not in vehicles. One 4wheeler AGM outside in 4-wheeler - brought in for top-up at monthly intervals. 2 snowmachine AGM kept in machines outside- one requires top up every couple weeks or goes dead- must have a light drain on it somewhere.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
3 for our vehicles, one for each
1 for tractor
4 for boat (3 for trolling motor)
1 for trolling motor for the big Jon boat
1 for Zero turn mower
1 for ATV
1 small lithium for the depth finder in Jon boat

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Been researching Lithium batteries and outboards, seems they will ruin boat alternators, they will not regulate or spike voltage when they shut down.

Best to run them to the house side, and use conventional lead acid or AGM directly to outboard. Using a 12-volt to 12-volt charger to, charge Lithium.

Bass Pro Tracker boat guy told me they would not warranty their outboards if a boat comes in with a lithium battery, and they also sell Lithium marine batteries, too many boats coming in with bad alternators. Also, asked if they were told that when they bought the lithium battery he said no???? So remove the lithium battery before you bring it in!

Not a lot of information out there on this.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Too many. But since you asked I had to start counting. 4 spares on the floor in the barn that were getting old and were safety changed out but we keep around for issues.

Does 6 volt count? grins.

14 in Texas. 11 in Alaska.

Its always time to change a battery somewhere.

And even though everything gets worse in quality we still are running Walmart batteries happily. 5 year are harder to find but just mostly seem to last. Had one on a diesel tractor go 8 years and I actually decided to replace it for safety so the wife didn't have to while I was gone. Nothing fancy. Just lead acid as far as I can recall.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After some counting I came up with 13 batteries.
Everything that is stored for the winter, boat, motorcycles, RV, yard tractor, ATV's, get the batteries pulled and brought into the garage. I don't trickle charge any of them except the motorcycles and those with NOCO charger.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I just put new batteries in the 2003 Ram 3500. $500+ worth.

The originals from the factory were going bad..... can't complain about 20/21 years of use I guess.

Couple weeks ago at the rec cabin, had to do a work around after it was parked in the lot for 5 days in cold weather..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Fired right up down there yesterday with the new ones in. smile

I now have a new 6' extension cord in the truck as well. It was a near thing getting the engine heater plugged in above without it!

Last edited by las; 03/13/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I came up with 19 before getting into spares/backups. Plus one 48 volt in the forklift.

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by kk alaska
..........My outside batteries are trickle charged once a month, the rest are stored in the garage and trickle charged a couple of times every winter. Seen to many battery fires to leave a trickle charger on all the time.

I use a receptacle timer like those used for engine block heaters. Trickle charger timers are given just a couple hours per day to charge. Works like a charm.

https://images.thdstatic.com/produc...lighting-accessories-hb11kd89-64_600.jpg

NRA Life Endowment Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 57 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,769
Posts18,476,780
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.