Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
They will toughen up.

That people would die in a scenario like that isn't necessarily because they are hard or soft...it's that they are alive.

I am MAGA.
GB1

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Humans are the only creature in nature that coddle weakness.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
Do you think soft people are just that way and can never change or are they that way only because the circumstances allow them to be like that? Take it away and they'd toughen up?

Recent events in Hati and other places in the world/world history got me to thinking.

SHTF happens (whatever that looks like for you) - it's likely a lot of elderly will pass. No more access to meds, O2 services and the like.

But what about the 27 year old theater major who got "triggered" because you didn't use xin/xer pronouns that made your coffee this am? They can "afford" to be soft in the traditional sense because the world allows it. When the world no longer provides the ability to be soft and survive - does that barista just die or do you think they actually harden up and survive?

People tend to find resolve and a will to survive when there's no other choice. Just curious as to what the rest think.

Did you watch, or better, read, The Walking Dead ? If you watched, I'm referring to about the first 2/3's not the "Jump the Shark" [bleep] it morphed into.
There is much that can be drawn that will be of value in the dystopia we are headed for.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
They will toughen up.

That people would die in a scenario like that isn't necessarily because they are hard or soft...it's that they are alive.

Not before many die.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by Teal
Do you think soft people are just that way and can never change or are they that way only because the circumstances allow them to be like that? Take it away and they'd toughen up?

Recent events in Hati and other places in the world/world history got me to thinking.

SHTF happens (whatever that looks like for you) - it's likely a lot of elderly will pass. No more access to meds, O2 services and the like.

But what about the 27 year old theater major who got "triggered" because you didn't use xin/xer pronouns that made your coffee this am? They can "afford" to be soft in the traditional sense because the world allows it. When the world no longer provides the ability to be soft and survive - does that barista just die or do you think they actually harden up and survive?

People tend to find resolve and a will to survive when there's no other choice. Just curious as to what the rest think.

Did you watch, or better, read, The Walking Dead ? If you watched, I'm referring to about the first 2/3's not the "Jump the Shark" [bleep] it morphed into.
There is much that can be drawn that will be of value in the dystopia we are headed for.

No but I've known people who survived the Balkan's wars of the 90's- all were strong (now) and all believed at one point in time that they couldn't ever do what they ended up doing to survive.

Me

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Those who are prepared will have a better chance. While not the end of the world, it amazes me the lack of preparation we see every time a hurricane hits, and even worse the lack of ability to deal with the aftermath, old and young alike.

When medicine runs out that will weed out a bunch. Water and food in the cities will be gone in short order.

I think I am a boomer, born in 63, hope it never happens, prepared to some degree, and preparing a little more each year.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by RAM
They will toughen up.

Not before many die.

Duh.

That was going to happen regardless.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The will to live is in all of us.

Question is which 'soft people' will have the resolve to reach deep to retrieve it.

Just My .02

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Teal;
Good morning to you sir, I trust the day's breaking bright and fair out your way and you're well.

Rather than repeat all my past history which many of you already know, the auto incident which came within a whisker of having me cross over at 15 taught me a lot about, well a lot of life.

I recall a conversation similar to this cyber one we're having now when the question was posed to me where a similar scenario was laid out and the question asked, "What would you do to survive?"

My response, based upon what I'd struggled mightily to live through in my youth was, "Pretty much anything and everything it would seem"...

For sure I'm now an aging boomer, though the last couple of chats I've had with my doctor and a bit of a grueling sheep hunt a couple seasons back indicate that thankfully I'm in decent condition despite the aggregate of years piled together.

Many have said that soft and hard folks will die, which is likely true, since inevitably we all are taking that last trip.

More and more at this stage in my life while I look back at what I've done with it, forward to what I might still be allowed to do and contemplate what I'm supposed to do at present, including posting here at our Cyber 'Fire, it occurs to me it'd be okay to die well.

I'm still working on what exactly that means for sure Teal.

To be clear I'm in no rush to go either, but am spiritually and mentally ready.

Lastly some have mentioned they believe that should life take a hard turn and go over the bank, that things might be quite tribal.

Personally I can't see it any other way myself.

Toward that end I've been getting to know the neighbors in our rural area to know who owns firearms, who has medical training, who hunts, who can repair things, etc.

Even if I'm gone, the ones I've introduced to each other have a better chance to maintain and rebuild.

Anyways sir, just a few random thoughts from a semi-ancient redneck sitting in the dark with the wood stove blazing and the coffee on.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
What age did that happen for you Dwayne?

Becoming spiritually and mentally ready to die?

My folks have been that way for a long time...both now just about 80 years old.

Scares me to death...the thought of my folks' and my own mortality.

Is there a difference between being ready and giving up?

I have hauled a lot of old people to the ER who said similar things about being ready to die....but they sure as hell weren't ready while in the back of that ambulance!

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Dwayne - thank you for the response. Much to think about for sure.

I think for me - it's not about being ready to die but understanding it will happen and there is something that shakes out after it does. I also think God probably gave me the will to live and fight through some stuff before it happens. When He wants to take me, He will and no amount of fight will prevent that but I need to fight incase it's not time - if that makes sense.

I just think that some of the people we'd assume are "soft" won't roll over and die and quite a few "hard" people will (medical issues not included).

Me

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hmm...that's a good way to think about I guess.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I have hauled a lot of old people to the ER who said similar things about being ready to die....but they sure as hell weren't ready while in the back of that ambulance!

I'll give it a go.

Being ready came when my last kid no longer depended on me to learn and survive, its likely your parents are in the same spot.

do I want to take the last bus? Hell yes!! But I'm no longer afraid of it happening to soon.

There's a huge difference between being ready and giving up, my grandmother gave up after her son, my dad died. I can't say as though I blame her, she fought medical problems for a long time but dad passing was it for her, she didn't want to see anymore.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yeah...that must be what drives it.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Jim;
Top of the morning, I hope life is good down in your part of the world just north of where my late Mom was born and raised.

You do ask some tough questions sir, well done - I'd love to have a coffee with you someday for sure.

I would say that it came the first time in my mid '20's when we'd gone through a fair bit already early in our married lives and I had a few things figured out spiritually.

Importantly though Jim, this was before the girls were born.

When they came into our lives, while my spiritual readiness didn't wane, I was much more in a "protector/parental" mode and mentally wanted to be there to see them get a good foundation in life. Sort of lined out and moving in a positive direction, I suppose.

Now that they're both established enough to make it on their own, the mental readiness has returned.

Saying all that Jim, I'm in a unique place where I've experienced things that science cannot explain, was blessed enough to be able to make sense of it within my head and heart and that laid a foundation for the mental and spiritual readiness.

There is a giant chasm - for me Jim - between being ready and giving up.

When I alluded to dying well, it had absolutely nothing to do with giving up anything really.

For me it's an inner resolve to do whatever is required of me, short of losing my soul of course, but otherwise being mentally ready to go down whatever path I'm asked to go.

Lastly Jim and once more I'm not attempting to convert you or anyone to the way I believe here, but if I am a servant of an omnipotent God, then there is a peace knowing I'm truly not in control of much beyond my own actions.

In that light then Jim, no - giving up isn't what I believe I'm supposed to do.

Hope that made some sense sir?

Dwayne

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What needs to happen is for your average American, 'Yute or otherwise, to grasp the concept of what is happening on our borders and the people who are invading our country. Spend a little time to see what those people are willing to do to get here. They have abandoned their present lives and allow criminals to run them through the gauntlet of days mucking through the Darian Gap on foot carrying what little belongings they have on their back, some with children, even infants carried in their arms. Women and children being raped, infection, sickness, robbery, murder, starvation and no water worth drinking. The horrid smell at each "camp" of human feces and death. You could argue the invaders haven't known anything else but it doesn't matter, shiet is shiet, whether third world or first world.

These people are willing to go to extremes, what many here have never considered, let alone lived. Those are the people to learn from as to what one is willing to do to survive to get to, in peoples' minds, a better place. IMO most people aren't "ready" to die, but most don't know how to deal with those moments when the time comes. Even the ones you think are tough, don't make it for one reason or another. Having a flexible mind and understanding "rules" are not the same as principles is a good start. See you on the other side.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
All I know is , No Body hurts or takes advantage of my family, I have pounded this into my sons their whole lives, they know how to be hard men when it’s time, they have forgotten for now, but I expect and demand strength when things get closer, those that can’t adapt, must go for the well being of the family.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
10-4 Dwayne. Thanks.

We are on the same page there.

BTW...I took "dying well" to mean something similar to the what the old Indians talks about....."a good death".

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10-4 Dwayne. Thanks.

We are on the same page there.

BTW...I took "dying well" to mean something similar to the what the old Indians talks about....."a good death".

Jim;
Thanks for the reply.

Yes indeed sir, dying well to me is that very definition - "a good death" for sure.

We in the west or specifically in my experience in Christian churches don't often discuss that part of the process, choosing to go straight to the afterlife in most cases.

Perhaps that's human nature, but I believe it's perhaps not entirely a good practice.

Dwayne

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 47 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,036
Posts18,520,993
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.