Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
In Texas it's legal to shoot people that are trying to stealing your stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by victoro

Odd - when I got my CHL down there in 2003 I was specifically told that was illegal. When did lethal force become viable response to property crimes?

Texas Penal Code 9.41 permits the use of force to protect property. It does not permit the use of deadly force to merely protect property under most circumstances. This changes when someone attempts to forcefully enter your house or enters your house by force. Your house includes your porch and attached garages, but does not include detached garages. It also changes when you can meet the elements of Penal Code 9.42.

Texas Penal Code Section 9.42 requires that all three of the following circumstances exist in order for you be justified in employing deadly force to protect property.

1. You must be justified in using force;

2. Must only be to the degree you reasonably believe deadly force is immediately necessary to prevent:

a. the imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
b. Someone fleeing from those things; or

3. To the degree that you reasonably believe that

a. The land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means, or
b. Using a lesser force would expose you or someone else to the substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Have to have all 3 and #3 is the kicker because "property can be recovered if you have insurance" thus not fulfilling #3 - as explained to me by Texas LEO.

Me

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Not saying I’d hurt somebody trying to steal my car, but my tractor has a front loader.
A post hole auger works great too, just chop the bastards up into smaller hunks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teal

Odd - when I got my CHL down there in 2003 I was specifically told that was illegal. When did lethal force become viable response to property crimes?

Texas Penal Code 9.41 permits the use of force to protect property. It does not permit the use of deadly force to merely protect property under most circumstances. This changes when someone attempts to forcefully enter your house or enters your house by force. Your house includes your porch and attached garages, but does not include detached garages. It also changes when you can meet the elements of Penal Code 9.42.

Texas Penal Code Section 9.42 requires that all three of the following circumstances exist in order for you be justified in employing deadly force to protect property.

2. Must only be to the degree you reasonably believe deadly force is immediately necessary to prevent:

a. the imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

b. Using a lesser force would expose you or someone else to the substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Have to have all 3 and #3 is the kicker because "property can be recovered if you have insurance" thus not fulfilling #3 - as explained to me by Texas LEO.

Have never heard of any case of a Texas citizen being charged because of having insurance to cover the theft. The DA here simplified things for me. Perp enters your home, he's dead meat, period, end of discussion. Daytime outside, call the police, no shoot-ee bang bang. Night time outside, feel free to test your night sights.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Chisos

Have never heard of any case of a Texas citizen being charged because of having insurance to cover the theft. The DA here simplified things for me. Perp enters your home, he's dead meat, period, end of discussion. Daytime outside, call the police, no shoot-ee bang bang. Night time outside, feel free to test your night sights.

Only going off of what I was told in 2003, Texas has become more purple since.

That said - someone inside the argument can be made that's not a property crime. Someone outside with your TV in their hands - is. According to the law, a DA (prob in Austin) could argue 3B on quite a few things.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Chisos

Only going off of what I was told in 2003, Texas has become more purple since.

That said - someone inside the argument can be made that's not a property crime. Someone outside with your TV in their hands - is. According to the law, a DA (prob in Austin) could argue 3B on quite a few things.

Yes, one could, but I don't think even the mad dog DA Ronnie Earle would have been stupid enough to try to argue that in a court of law. The legislatures, over the years, have thrown out a lot of the impedimentary verbiage implanted by Dim legislators who were in opposition to self defense and/or concealed carry. I can remember when the dimocraps were in control and Texas was a duty to retreat state...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have said it many times before, and I'll say it again "Canada is a Ruined Nation"

What would be scaring the hell out of me if I were an American is that you guys are 1 election away from being in the same predicament!

I pray for you guys that that does not happen, we need at least 1 sane country left on this planet!

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Is it legal to own a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver in Canada?

The short answer is yes.

Dwayne
What happens to you if you use it in self-defense?

If you owned the pistol a year ago you can keep it.

However it is illegal to buy a pistol today.

simonkenton7;
Morning again sir, I hope this last day of the week finds you well.

Yes that's correct, currently it's not possible to transfer a "restricted" class firearm since PM Socks' last attack on our ability to retain personal property.

Since we have no 2nd Amendment, we - that is to say firearms groups like the CCFR which I've been a member of since shortly after they were formed - have taken the feds to court on this issue, that is to say it's a private property issue.

While we lost round one, we're appealing and have at least two provinces, sadly but not surprisingly not BC, joining in the appeal with intervenor status, so that's helpful.

What I and other like minded individuals are attempting to show our fellow Canucks is that if the government can declare our AR's and handguns unlawful today, they can do the same with power boats, ATV's, sport bikes, etc. tomorrow. None of us "needs" an ATV, power boat or motorcycle that can triple the legal speed limit is what we've been telling people.

The current leader of the official opposition federally, Pierre Poilievre, has twice while I was there in the crowd said he'd drop the useless firearms restrictions.

Of course that gives housewives in Toronto the vapors because Socks tells them he's making machine guns legal so we'll be able to buy them at any Canadian Tire gun rack. Socks isn't known for speaking the truth or frankly recognizing the truth, but he can scare housewives and people who still listen to legacy media, I'll give him that.

We are, I believe anyways, playing for all the marbles up here on a few fronts unfortunately, so resources and energy are stretched thin.

We'll see.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Any Canadians with a Corvette? I've been wanting one of those C8s. Must be a Z06. Please fill the tank while you're at it. Color preference is blue. TIA

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ben Lurkin;
Good morning to you sir, I hope your part of Utah is looking promising thus far and you're well.

Regarding Corvettes, blue ones even.

In a former life I managed a storage facility where we stored boats, RV's, classic and exotic autos.

One of my clients had a track prepped Corvette, I want to say a 2009???

He was a member of this place which is just south of us.

https://area27.ca/

It's not open to the public, so while one can watch them running, it's from the fence on the west side which is limited.

To the best of my understanding what they do on a regular "track day" is run about 4 cars or motorcycles of the same class for 15-20 minutes together.

Thus when he invited us to be his guests on a track day we jumped at the chance. When we got there, we being my wife, eldest daughter, her husband and I, he asked if anyone wanted to ride along on his upcoming 20 minutes of track time?

Also when we got there, there was a group of Honda S2000s and Miatas running and they sounded like angry chainsaws.

Anyways our daughter is a wee bit of an adrenaline junky so she quickly said she wanted to ride along.

When they ran it was with another Corvette and a couple of track prepped Porches.

They hit top speeds of 145mph on the straight and I forget now just what the G's were, but he had that information as well. He ran mid pack all the way and said if he dumped another $10,000 into even better brakes he'd be able to speed up his lap times.

Since Area 27 has been opened, we see all manner of neat sports cars tooling around from late April to about the end of September.

Best to you in your search for a blue Z06.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 03/15/24. Reason: more information

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
These new cars don't use a metal key to crank up the car. They have a key fob, which transmits a signal to the car, to open the door and crank it up.
A criminal can stand on a front porch, and use a device to read the key fob, which is setting on the kitchen counter. Without ever entering the house, he can then crank up the car.

The constable is concerned that civilians are using a "Faraday pouch" to store the fob in. This is a cloth bag with steel wires inlaid in it. It blocks the signal when thieves are trying to "read" the fob.

https://slnt.com/collections/faraday-bags-for-keys/products/key-fob-guards

So the criminals have to break into the house and remove the fob from the Faraday pouch. The Constable wants homeowners to remove the fob from the Faraday bag, and leave the fob near the front door, so that thieves can easily read it, and not have to break into the house.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
These new cars don't use a metal key to crank up the car. They have a key fob, which transmits a signal to the car, to open the door and crank it up.
A criminal can stand on a front porch, and use a device to read the key fob, which is setting on the kitchen counter. Without ever entering the house, he can then crank up the car.

The constable is concerned that civilians are using a "Faraday pouch" to store the fob in. This is a cloth bag with steel wires inlaid in it. It blocks the signal when thieves are trying to "read" the fob.

https://slnt.com/collections/faraday-bags-for-keys/products/key-fob-guards

So the criminals have to break into the house and remove the fob from the Faraday pouch. The Constable wants homeowners to remove the fob from the Faraday bag, and leave the fob near the front door, so that thieves can easily read it, and not have to break into the house.
Would a much better solution be to get better doors, and be armed so you can shoot them when they break in??

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I listened to that officer spew that crap. Was he really law enforcement. I can’t believe even a Canadian cop would say that. I think it was staged. If not Canada is screwed.

Thanks, Billy
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,201
Posts18,485,216
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.