Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
NC Bradford Pear Bounty
— Written By Savannah Jones

Image of a blooming Bradford pear tree with vibrant white blooms covering the tree.
Bradford pear tree in full bloom. Image by Dr. Kelly Oten.

The Bradford pear tree is an ornamental commonly planted tree in North Carolina but did you know it is an invasive species? Sure, it has pretty blossoms, but it also smells of rotten fish, breaks easily during storms, and outcompetes native trees. Bradford pears can also breed with other varieties of pear trees that produce long thorns and spread in natural forests, replacing native trees and creating “food deserts” for birds. These trees are damaging to our natural ecosystems and need to be removed and replaced.

You’ll see their characteristic white blooms in full effect in March or early spring.

We’re teaming up with the NC Forest Service, NC Urban Forest Council, and NC Wildlife Federation to encourage North Carolinians to properly remove and replace these invasive trees.

Close up image of multiple white Bradford pear flowers with pink or brown speckles on the petals.
Image of white Bradford pear blooms. Image by Dr. Kelly Oten.

When you cut down your Bradford pear tree, we’ll give you a native tree to replace it (up to 5 native trees)! You must sign-up and provide proof of removal to attend an NC Bradford Pear Bounty event and receive native trees.

*We are planning events in various locations across NC. Specifc dates and locations can be found on treebountync.com

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am killing one in my yard now. Dam things do make good looking ornamentals, but they are a blight in some instances/scenarios! Can overtake the understory of a forest.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
SC and MO are banning their sale as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
can't buy them around here - although they still sell other variations of blooming ornamental trees

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have 8 of them in the front yard. Big bastards. Smelly as hell the last week or two.

Was just thinking of cutting them down and planting some serviceberry trees.

Will have to look into any SC programs.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Bradford pears, T1-11 siding, 5/4 decks... and Kias.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Damn things will split right down the middle, during a storm, and keep on living.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had never heard of the things until I bought this house last year.

Looked pretty enough. When I got the house they had already bloomed and didn’t stink. Fast forward to last week when the blooms erupted over night. Started out as a musky sweet smell. Now smells like rotten azz.

Who the fugg ever thought these were a good idea?
I don’t get planting schit that stinks or has a bunch of thorns. Especially if it doesn’t grow some good fruit.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Had a dozen of them in front of our building at work. Nice enough looking, but the branches were so dense, a slight breeze would break them. Many times in half. Happy day when I had every one of those things cut and ground up.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They're rotten azz trees. The wood would be nice since it's hard as hell and has nice grain, but by the time it gets any wood on its that's usable, it already has fractures in it. One of the reason they blow apart in storms. I had a huge one in my yard for years and cut it down a few years ago. Damn thing sent up shoots from the leftover roots for a couple of years. Still have firewood from it. It makes good firewood.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember back in the ‘70’s when they were always advertised in the magazine section of the Sunday paper, big color ads along with flowers and such.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Be sure to uproot the stumps, or you'll have half a dozen saplings where one tree used to be! Fortunately, the root ball is shallow and not too hard to dig out.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got 4 of them that are getting cut down. I was going to try to make wine out of the fruit, but now all the trees have a fungal infection that ruins the fruit.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 2 I am seeing are the Honeysuckle and Olive trees. I can't keep up with them. The most invasive weed I am seeing is the wild parsnip. The parsnip will screw up your world.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 03/14/24.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only reason I keep the one I have is for the bees.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
now if we can work on the privet hedge and the kudzu also

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You can kill the roots with Tordon. Drill a few holes in the stump and soak it for a few days.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Out west we have one called Wisteria that people plant. The stuff is a really aggressive woody vine that takes over an area such as a big leaf maple grove. It will kill the maples yet they are still allowed to sell it. On the other hand the butterfly bush has been regulated and only allowed to be sold in a seedless variety to keep it from taking over meadows and such.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
You know who likes them?

Middle class white women.

Rest my case.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Got rid of mine a few years ago. Lady Bird Johnson promoted them bigly; genuine democrat tree; stinks, rots and falls apart.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,754
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.