Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I would beat Stoner with a rock if I could get my hands on him. Dang tiny springs! The worst is that sneaky little bastard that is behind the buffer tube plate and presses against the take down pin detent. grrrrrrrr

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should definitely not, as Kaywoodie once told me, disassemble a Winchester 1907. If you must do so, do it in a room with no one else around, and a spouse who does not get distressed about holes in the wall... smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I would beat Stoner with a rock if I could get my hands on him. Dang tiny springs! The worst is that sneaky little bastard that is behind the buffer tube plate and presses against the take down pin detent. grrrrrrrr
I fixed that problem with a #4, 40 TPI tap and tapped the hole and put in a short Allen screw. You will have to cut the spring a bit to get it all in the hole but once it's in, that spring stays put.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Makes a guy wonder what he tried first and decided was too much of a pain where this was the "best alternative".

Me

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Pro-tip.

Buy extra's....along with the extra's you stock of most all the small parts on an AR.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Pro-tip.

Buy extra's....along with the extra's you stock of most all the small parts on an AR.

What AS said, in spades.

Many lowers now come standard with threads tapped in & many detent/springs come with the correct screw.

Also if you do it enough, you learn a few tricks. One is that most springs are overly long. Trimming a bit off does wonders for installation.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Oh trust me, I have a tackle box of spare springs, screws and the like. I have been messing with ARs since the early seventies. We are old friends. I still have issues with that spring. I like kwg’s idea

Sam......

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I fixed that problem with a #4, 40 TPI tap and tapped the hole and put in a short Allen screw. You will have to cut the spring a bit to get it all in the hole but once it's in, that spring stays put.

This. I haven't built an AR in years where I didn't use a plug screw!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Teal
Makes a guy wonder what he tried first and decided was too much of a pain where this was the "best alternative".

Aint that the truth

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I was the PD armorer for a bunch of years. The AR Armorer easy. brought trays of springs and detent balls due to such issues.
Here is what I learned after the first class...
Work on the gun in a plastic grocery bag. Most errant derents and spring stay in the bsg. A small magnet makes retrieval essy.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I had some issues on the first few. Bought spares in the 80s. Can't recall having a problem to where I had to use the spares though. You have to be a bit careful though. Slow and methodical and some aren't that way. And I tend to put grease on the springs just a dab most of the time and unless you compress em to fly out, they tend to go in and stay just fine. The one behind the tube though can be wonky if you are not paying attention.

I've heard of the assembly in a bag thing. Never tried it. Makes total sense.

Not overly sure on the set screw thing. Just one more thing I guess but maybe... I'd have to see it up close and ponder. And my pondering often takes years. LOL.

Now the spring that I lost for a day out of a smith revolver..... wife found it with a magnet... She did great.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I lost a spring and detent out of a 66 rear sight. Found the spring a month or two later then at least a year later I found the detent. Of course by then I didn’t remember where the spring was.

Wound up buying a complete sight since they no longer support the older guns.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
never mind I'm lucky enough to have a shop not too far from home that sells all the little tiny parts individually. so it's pretty smart if you have such an opportunity to put you together a little bag of goodies that can easily be lost. and have some spares

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oops, and the local gunstore gets another $6 for a .20 cent spring, I keep extras now that my vision has improved with old age.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Oops, and the local gunstore gets another $6 for a .20 cent spring, I keep extras now that my vision has improved with old age.
Yup. Cheaper by far to be ready like Sam is than to get hosed basically. OTOH if you NEED it now... 6 bucks is cheap.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Teal

AK47

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
Seriously

A towel draped over anything with springs makes for a great catch all.

100 detents and Springs $62 Free Shipping

From the sounds of it, some of y'all ain't never took a Auto-5 apart

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

This is a genius idea and just did all my lowers.
Oh trust me, I have a tackle box of spare springs, screws and the like. I have been messing with ARs since the early seventies. We are old friends. I still have issues with that spring. I like kwg’s idea

I’ve found that having kids help only adds to reason for having a taller box full of spares. Have enough small parts for AR’s, garands, Glocks, 1911’s and smith revolvers I actual went to a rolling tool box in the gun room with a drawer for each platform. Then one one goes bouncing it’s not an “armorer crawl” moment with flashlight on floor looking for shadows.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lost the detent ball for a Savage 110 extractor, it's somewhere I didn't even try looking.

Called Brownells and ordered one, the guy asked "next" and I told him nothing else.

He put me on hold, and was gone awhile.

"Our minimum shipping is x dollars, the detent is 99 cents. If you want, I'll process the order. I had you on hold while I talked with one of our gunsmith. That detent is just a 1/8" bearing. You can get that ampnywhere for pennies."

I thanked him, and went looking.
No parts house, hydraulic shop, or equipment dealer could sell me a darn ball bearing.
The lady at the machine shop sent me to Fastenall. " Don't let them make you buy a bunch of them".

Had to buy 200, for $2.😁😁😁
Lost several trying them in the bolt while in my car.

Still have a lifetimes supply.
54 years old, used 1 bearing, 190 left.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jimmyp
he must have a [bleep] gun store for that kind of stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,078
Posts18,482,781
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.