Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
I always assume that the other drivers are wanting to kill me. Seems like some try.

I have had my share of those as well.
Throttle Speed is your friend some times over just Breaking

Got my big Dresser up to 140 one time trying to get away from some jerks jumping in front of me and slamming their breaks.

After the 3rd time it was on and the Rag Heads were taking video of me as I sped away from them.

Another time the freeway was almost empty and a guy pulled up next to me in a convertible sports car with a young kid in his car.
He wanted to play friendly like. So it was on and he gave me a big grin as he passed me doing 140.
My bike would not go any faster than that.

I told my Harley Dealer that they needed to put another gear in the transmission.

They did not look very happy after I told them that.

GB4

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you understand how a carburetor works, they are fine. Fuel injection is better. Never run ethanol in a carburetor. I’m a Harley Davidson fan, but if a Japanese bike suits you, Honda would be my first pick. Cheaper is rarely better. Buy the nicest, newest, and lowest mileage bike you can afford. A smaller bike is fine for short commutes, but for longer rides, bigger is better.

I’m riding an 07 Harley Fat Boy now. It is a 96 ci twin cam engine with fuel injection and gets 50 mpg.

If you want a bike, get one. Do not buy one thinking it will save you money, though. Buy an economy car for that.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd look for an older BMW, or Honda ST1100-1300. The Honda isn't particularly low, but they are REALLY underrated. Your 275 pound boomdeeay could cruise at 125 all day! 75-80 and the bike isn't even breathing hard. Should be able to find either for around 4000.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Now let's have some fun. Let's provide some links to what we suggested.

https://www.cycletrader.com/Suzuki-Boulevard-S40/motorcycles-for-sale?make=Suzuki%7C2320128&model=BOULEVARD%7C764983006&trim=S40%7C75924

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
For a first bike, make sure its big enough to haul you around.
You should be able to touch the ground with boh feet.

Weight of the bike is only important when it's not moving. Once yer rolling its not that big of a deal unless you plan to spend a bunch of time in congested traffic.

Been riding for nigh on 50 years. The only time I hurt myself (seriously) was kickstarting one, and that happened a month ago.

Carburetors been around a long time, I wouldn't let that deter me, however I grew up with them.

Get in the wind, have fun and good luck!

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wouldn’t worry too much about your buddys experience, I know guys that will have nothing but trouble out of a wheelbarrow!!
laffin’

Without knowing more about you and the environment you’re going to be spending most of your time on a motorcycle, my suggestion could be Neither!
I know around here it’s getting to where seasoned riders are taking a bigger chance everyday with some of these idiots on the road.
No offense, but you do sound pretty green at almost 40 yrs old. Not that there is anything wrong with that!

If you’re wanting a new or newer bike I wouldn’t let carburetors be a deal breaker.
Good fuel and clean oil, non ethanol is all I ever burn my bikes.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I wouldn’t worry too much about your buddys experience, I know guys that will have nothing but trouble out of a wheelbarrow!!
laffin’

When did we meet?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
laffin’

When did we meet?

laugh laugh laugh

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My first Harley was a 1942 WW II surplus 45 cubic inch flathead- - - - -bought it for $50.00, rode it for a year, and sold it for a C-note. One of my dumber decisions, it you don't count the first marriage!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Honda Rebel 500 is another prospect. Modern fuel injected, fuel efficient, bullet proof motor. Low seat height and plenty of grunt.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do a riding course like what Harley offers to get a feel for bikes and size requirements. The CC of the engine is less important than the size of the bike and suspension for your weight.

I prefer Indians as that's what I have. I commute on my bike as long as the weather allows. Small town traffic. Not interstate. I prefer a lighter bike that is easy to maneuver at slower speeds and better in parking lots, gas stations, etc. Interstate bikes need to be bigger and heavier.

Your weight is really going to be the biggest issue on any of the smaller bikes due to the suspension. You may be able to adjust them enough, but probably looking at upgraded forks and shocks.

Modern bikes are like modern cars/trucks. Fuel injected and a CPU mean you never have to adjust anything. Just get on it and ride. Until something goes wrong. Then they are harder to work on yourself and more expensive to get fixed. I'll take a modern fuel injected bike over the old carbs any day.

As far as saving money with a bike, it's a long term deal. I put at least half my work miles on the bike, which lowers the wear and tear and maintenance on my other vehicles. Takes a while to recoup the cost of the bike and gear though. For me it's more a tool for therapy. When I ride my bike I'm in a better mood when I get to work and a better mood when I get home.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I worked in the oilfield 40 years. The number 1 cause of death of my coworkers was motorcycle crashes.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
I had them all and Harley was the best.
Said no one ever.

Hahaha!

I have a bunch of bikes....but wouldn't mind a Evo harley.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Back in 19&66 I bought a '53 Shovel-Head got it running . Put a 3quarter cam -elderbrok manifold 650 holley double pumper hooker headers fastest thing on the road. The gov't seezed it -- too fast for the street -.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Current run to town/errand bike is a Yamaha TW200 and yes it has saved me money on fuel. A round trip to town costs maybe a dollar as compared to close to 10 in the truck… I’m more worried about deer and turkeys than cars.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Back in 19&66 I bought a '53 Shovel-Head got it running . Put a 3quarter cam -elderbrok manifold 650 holley double pumper hooker headers fastest thing on the road. The gov't seezed it -- too fast for the street -.

Can you spend a few minutes talking to my garden? I'll save a bundle on fertilizer!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Ironic.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
I had them all and Harley was the best.
Said no one ever.

Hahaha!

I have a bunch of bikes....but wouldn't mind a Evo harley.

I got one you need!!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,921
Posts18,479,766
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.