Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The most Danger for motorcycles riders are auto drivers on CELLPHONES !!! For trouble free riding, buy a Honda or Yamaha !!!

"not too grumpy"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you are late 30's and know nothing about motorcycles I suggest you reconsider buying one.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gregintenn
If you understand how a carburetor works, they are fine. Fuel injection is better. Never run ethanol in a carburetor. I’m a Harley Davidson fan, but if a Japanese bike suits you, Honda would be my first pick. Cheaper is rarely better. Buy the nicest, newest, and lowest mileage bike you can afford. A smaller bike is fine for short commutes, but for longer rides, bigger is better.

I’m riding an 07 Harley Fat Boy now. It is a 96 ci twin cam engine with fuel injection and gets 50 mpg.

If you want a bike, get one. Do not buy one thinking it will save you money, though. Buy an economy car for that.
Just one thing you said that should change.. Never run ethanol - EVER... I won't put that crap in any bike (or other machine) I own; the exception is the wife's car - but that's another matter...

Every bike I've owned has never had ethanol gas in the tank.. Eff that chit..

I've had several bikes over the last 55+years; Suzuki (2, one trail bike of 125 ccs, the other a GS1100L), Kawasaki (2 Voyager 1300s), Harley's (7) all the way from Sportster to the Ultra Classic and now a Trike.. They've all been trouble-free... I think I replaced a $2 switch on the bars of one of the Voyagers once, but that's all.. My current '14 HD Ultra Classic just turned 55K on the odometer and I've changed one set of brakes, one drive belt and a couple of tires; just maintenance..

A lot of good advice on posts above.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take a motorcycle safety course. Get the fundamentals down on a gutless 250, when you get to the point where you can easily dodge your evil attackers (they're everywhere) by good fundamentals in BRAKING and CORNERING, then it's time to think about power. Honestly, any idiot can twist the throttle and go fast, turning fast and STOPPING fast are much more difficult. So go gutless until you've gotten your reflexes wired in. Not before. Best option for fundamentals is to ride the crud out of a nice DIRT BIKE in gravel pits and on trails. Just no substitute for building muscle memory. And, once you get good, you won't CARE about the seat height because your body will tell you which foot to put down when you stop. It'll be easy and automatic to you.

Riding position: You're "secure" on a low-seat cruiser, but your butt (and arms) will hate you after about 45 minutes. The best riding position or set-up is "standard" -- and it's a standard for a reason. That's where I'd be to begin.
Your butt will also like a bench seat rather than a saddle or bucket seat. If you can squirm around, you'll be happier.
My preference is "superbike" with bars lower than "standard" for better wind compensation, but just as wide as standard for leverage when it counts. I have custom "mild rearsets" footpegs that are two inches back and an inch higher than "standard" and that puts my feet under my center of gravity. I could ride all darn day on some of the wildest crooked roads in the West, 300 miles and while I'd be tired, I was never "sore."

With that said, if you gotta have, get a standardish bike from 400 twin up to maybe 750 four. If you need to, find a bike shop that can set up your suspension front and rear with the right spring and gas settings, you don't want to ride bottomed out or topped out, but in the nice middle of your suspension travel.

Finally, don't ride naked, ever. Get a seriously good and comfy helmet, full face or dirt with chin and face protection, good flip visor (kept spotless) or quality goggles (spotless, you need to SEE). Wear the heaviest pants you can stand, or better yet, leather with suspenders. Or ballistic cloth. Real boots with ankle protection, something you could hike over rocks with. Evil attackers are everywhere, from every angle, any place. Oh, and don't EVER wear black gear. That's the stupidest thing about motorcycling, especially on a BLACK night on BLACK tarmac, in BLACK rain? Are you kidding me? A discreet amount of Scotchlight is your best friend.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks guys, a lot of food for thought. One thing that keeps coming up that surprises me. Seems like a lot of people mentioned cars being an enemy. I get it as far as idiots on phones, but people mad simply for no reason other than you are on a bike? What am I missing? I have never had animosity towards someone just because they are riding a cycle

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Thanks guys, a lot of food for thought. One thing that keeps coming up that surprises me. Seems like a lot of people mentioned cars being an enemy. I get it as far as idiots on phones, but people mad simply for no reason other than you are on a bike? What am I missing? I have never had animosity towards someone just because they are riding a cycle

It's not that they hate you - it's that they simply don't "see" you and make stupid decisions that kill you. Like merge into you as you're next to them. Turn left in front of you (lady did that to me, I hit her passenger door doing 20mph - a week later the same exact lady ran me off the road 5 miles away).

It's not malicious but incompetent.

Me

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Got my first bike when I was 6. Had at least one ever since until 2 years ago or so. Jumped on my KLR 650 to run to walmart. Some teenage girl on her phone pulled out in front of me and never saw me. About got killed running to get some yogurt. Sold it maybe 2 weeks later. When I retire and move to the mountains I may get another, or may not. Don't miss it as much as I thought.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I rode for years with Motorcycle Cops, watched and learned, they drive aggressively, but smart too, they didn’t put them selves in stupid places, they saw every rock, board, brick, and worst of all sand on curves, I’m very aggressive by nature but I learned to temper it, they all drove Harley’s and loud as hell, they wanted all the loud radio crowd to know they were there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by blairvt
Got my first bike when I was 6. Had at least one ever since until 2 years ago or so. Jumped on my KLR 650 to run to walmart. Some teenage girl on her phone pulled out in front of me and never saw me. About got killed running to get some yogurt. Sold it maybe 2 weeks later. When I retire and move to the mountains I may get another, or may not. Don't miss it as much as I thought.

Sold mine almost 2 years ago too. I don't miss it except for that first 70 degree day after winter/spring.

Me

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The suggestions for taking a basic riding course are very good ones. I’m 50 and have ridden since I was big enough. I took a class with one of my kids a couple of years back. I learned several things I didn’t know, and it definitely made me a better and more comfortable rider. It’s also fun riding those little bikes around a track and through the little figure 8s. Definitely worth the time and money!

IC B3

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by gregintenn
If you understand how a carburetor works, they are fine. Fuel injection is better. Never run ethanol in a carburetor. I’m a Harley Davidson fan, but if a Japanese bike suits you, Honda would be my first pick. Cheaper is rarely better. Buy the nicest, newest, and lowest mileage bike you can afford. A smaller bike is fine for short commutes, but for longer rides, bigger is better.

I’m riding an 07 Harley Fat Boy now. It is a 96 ci twin cam engine with fuel injection and gets 50 mpg.

If you want a bike, get one. Do not buy one thinking it will save you money, though. Buy an economy car for that.
Just one thing you said that should change.. Never run ethanol - EVER... I won't put that crap in any bike (or other machine) I own; the exception is the wife's car - but that's another matter...

Every bike I've owned has never had ethanol gas in the tank.. Eff that chit..

I've had several bikes over the last 55+years; Suzuki (2, one trail bike of 125 ccs, the other a GS1100L), Kawasaki (2 Voyager 1300s), Harley's (7) all the way from Sportster to the Ultra Classic and now a Trike.. They've all been trouble-free... I think I replaced a $2 switch on the bars of one of the Voyagers once, but that's all.. My current '14 HD Ultra Classic just turned 55K on the odometer and I've changed one set of brakes, one drive belt and a couple of tires; just maintenance..

A lot of good advice on posts above.. smile

If you do have to run ethanol blend, Startron is a lifesaver. It'll save you the usual ethanol small engine headaches; worth every penny.

There's not a straight gas pump within 40 miles of my place, so everything except the work beater gets dosed with ST religiously.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Jevyod, If I had to write a letter to my 30 year old self, it would say don't keep buying all those ever larger, faster, more expensive motorcycles. I have driven motorcycles since the 60's and has been mentioned, had way too many close calls with cars, dogs, cows, deer, rain on oil slick roads, black ice, gravel and wet leaves. Honestly I'd been money ahead to have driven an economy car and been a heck of a lot safer and more comfortable on the road with a heater, ac and a radio plus I could actually take stuff or a person or two with me. People haven't seen a motorcycle up here in the north since October and they aren't expecting to see one now either. Bikes are dangerous enough during daylight and a deathtrap after dark. People judge distance by the distance between the headlights and make that one headlight coming fast and they pull out in front of you. Nope, 70 degrees feels nice when you are out walking, but at 70 mph wind chill happens. You will catch every cold that comes along to say nothing about hitting bugs, birds and getting sand blasted when the car or truck in front of you hits the gravel. They arrest people here for going over 70 mph so there is no reason to get a huge motorcycle. In fact I had way more fun zipping around town on my old Honda CB160 or 305 Super Hawk than I ever did out out on the highway with my larger Triumph or Harley. If you must get one, some good advice earlier about getting a dual sport medium size bike that you can license for the street around town and ride on the trails too. Depending on what kind of job you have, riding a motorcycle into work won't be as socially acceptable as arriving in a car. Bosses look at that kind of stuff and rightly or wrongly motorcycle riders do not project the best image.

As to being mad at a biker, yup it happens and I am/was a biker. The street where we'd winter was 35 mph with a stop light. On any day or night you could hear those big bikes leave that light and go through the gears with those engines just screaming up to at least 2x the speed limit. Or driving between two lanes of cars to get up to the head of the line. Or passing you on the interstate at three numbers. That does not endear one to the general populous.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yep. Do a safety course, and California Super bike as well….

Saving money… 🤣

Ride with a friend or two or by yourself but always look out for the cagers (car drivers).

I sold my BMW K1300S not long before Christmas, after I get my knees done I will get an adventure bike of some sort.

Loved the K bike but my joints don’t anymore.

Most of all. Have fun.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll add to look into the can am ryker. It's that 3 wheeled deal for around $12K and you can't fall off it.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am in my upper 30s and looking to get a motorcycle. I know very little about them, but know some are fuel injected while some have carburators. That is part of my question. I have a buddy that had a dual carb bike and he said it was nothing but problems. Said he would never get another. Is that true of all dual carb bikes? Can a person run ethenol free to help the issues? The problem I see is most cheap motorcycles (under 3500) are dual carb systems. I am basically wanting a cycle to ride to work when I can as my trailblazer sucks on gas mileage.
Another question I have, I am short and heavy.. Will a 650-750 cc cruiser style bike get a 275 lb person up to 75 easily? Along with that, my inseam is only 30 inches. Any way to tell what seat height I should be getting? I know, really newbie questions. But figure at least some of you guys have insight!
BTW the 2 main bikes that I keep seeing on marketplace that are cheaper are Kawasaki Vulcans and Yamaha v-syar. Any reason to choose one over the other? Thanks!

The only real motorcycles are Harleys, but inferring from your post you are on a budget, the Japanese machines can be very nice. Any bike 500cc or more will achieve the speed you want. All newer Harleys are fuel injected, but if you buy a cheaper brand, you will have to ask. In the "old" days, I ran carbureted machines 1000cc and 1100cc for years with very good reliability. But you can't let them sit or the carburetors will gum up.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Other divers do not look for or see motorcycles, and dont think twice about pulling out in front of one. Probably the most car / bike accidents are from that alone.

Changing lanes is another one, stay out of the blind spot.

Defensive driving is the key, eye contact, which ways the wheels pointing are that quickly looking back and forth and edging forward.

Defensive driving is always important, it will keep you alive on a bike, my mantra for the last 50 years has been "ride as if you are invisible" it has worked for me so far.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
I am in my upper 30s and looking to get a motorcycle. I know very little about them, but know some are fuel injected while some have carburators. That is part of my question. I have a buddy that had a dual carb bike and he said it was nothing but problems. Said he would never get another. Is that true of all dual carb bikes? Can a person run ethenol free to help the issues? The problem I see is most cheap motorcycles (under 3500) are dual carb systems. I am basically wanting a cycle to ride to work when I can as my trailblazer sucks on gas mileage.
Another question I have, I am short and heavy.. Will a 650-750 cc cruiser style bike get a 275 lb person up to 75 easily? Along with that, my inseam is only 30 inches. Any way to tell what seat height I should be getting? I know, really newbie questions. But figure at least some of you guys have insight!
BTW the 2 main bikes that I keep seeing on marketplace that are cheaper are Kawasaki Vulcans and Yamaha v-syar. Any reason to choose one over the other? Thanks!

The only real motorcycles are Harleys, but inferring from your post you are on a budget, the Japanese machines can be very nice. Any bike 500cc or more will achieve the speed you want. All newer Harleys are fuel injected, but if you buy a cheaper brand, you will have to ask. In the "old" days, I ran carbureted machines 1000cc and 1100cc for years with very good reliability. But you can't let them sit or the carburetors will gum up.

haha, whatta jokester.... laffin

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Harley Davidson is a Chinese bike now. Just saying.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

LOL. Okay Boomer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That reminds me, as part of the Rider's Education you'll need to learn The Wave and who to wave to.

Don't wave to scooter riders, it confuses them.

You can wave to sport/super sport riders, adventure bike riders, commuters and old guys on Gold Wings with their wives/girlfriends on the back. On the Gold Wings generally the female passenger will be the one to wave back.

You can wave to someone hard over in a corner or accelerating hard but don't be offended if they don't wave back, it generally takes both hands and both feet to operate a motorcycle so their left hand may be occupied with the clutch.

You can wave to Harley riders if you want to but very few if any will wave back, their disdain for everybody else is too great.

Besides the wave which can come in many forms, if a passing rider pats the top of his helmet it means there is a radar cop ahead.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.