Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19285717 03/09/24
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I purchased several Buck 110’s when I was younger, 1974. I understand now that I never learned how to sharpen them properly as my sharpening skill was with carbon steel blades. In my ignorance I considered them junk and bought Case knives to date. Now that I understand my lack of knowledge I have decided to try them again. I first purchased a 113 for skinning and now I have custom ordered a 110. Both are bone handle as I am partial to that. The custom has an S30VDrop Point blade. The Buck 113 has the normal 420HC, I assume. My Case XXchanger has both bone & brass. It too is a drop point. Not sure what the steel is.

Anyway, are there any tricks to working with the S30V steel? And, how do the two, S30V & 420HC, differ?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I purchased several Buck 110 when I was younger, 1974. I understand now that I never learned how to sharpen them properly as my sharpening skill was with carbon steel blades. In my ignorance I considered them junk and bought Case knives to date. Now that I understand my lack of knowledge I have decided to try them again. I first purchased a 113 for skinning and now I have custom ordered a 110. Both are bone handle as I am partial to that. The custom has an SV30 Drop Point blade. My Case XXchanger has both bone & brass. It too is a drop point. Not sure what the steel is.

Anyway, are there any tricks to working with the SV30 steel?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice!!! I really like that with the bone scales!
Always carried my Buck 110 when I was in HS.
As did every other Redneck I ran around with back then. Those old Buck were hard to sharpen, IMO.
I would think an SV30 blade would be much easier to put a blade on.
I use my Spyderco V-stick sharpener on my custom Dozier & Ingram hunting knives with SV30 blades.

Of course, that’s back when you could carry a knife in HS, and nobody gave a crap. Also had my 870 and Winchester 94 Carbine on the gun rack of my pickup in our HS’s parking lot.
Funny how there was no “Mass School Shootings”, back then. 🤪

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/09/24.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Same methods as the softer steels but diamond stones make it a lot easier and faster.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
CHL,
Same here. Shotgun in the truck gun rack, windows down for heat dissipation, wore the Buck 110 like jewelry on the belt.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reloder28
CHL,
Same here. Shotgun in the truck gun rack, windows down for heat dissipation, wore the Buck 110 like jewelry on the belt.

Brothers from another Mother! 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We couldn't belt carry them, but always had something in our pockets and the teachers ignored them. Still have my old 112 Buck and the Mossberg 500 that stayed in my truck rack.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Lslite
We couldn't belt carry them, but always had something in our pockets and the teachers ignored them. Still have my old 112 Buck and the Mossberg 500 that stayed in my truck rack.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

What area of TX did you grow up in?
My hometown was only 80K back in the late 70’s, but Abilene was still very small “townish” back then, when the major economic drive was farming, ranching, and oilfield related.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/09/24.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It once was a little collection of farm and ranch towns south of Houston called Alta Loma, Arcadia, and Algoa. It's all been incorporated now into the city of Santa Fe, Tx and is being swallowed up by urban sprawl and illegal immigration. Houston is forever creeping toward us.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Buck Custom Shop builds a very nice knife. I have had several built by the custom shop and they have all been exceptional 110's. There aren't any tricks to sharpening S30V. Several YouTubers do cutting tests comparing various steels against each other and the same steel from different manufacturers and pretty consistently Buck's S30V outcuts the same steel from other makers such as Spyderco and Benchmade. You can expect good performance from the S30 Buck blade.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
About '74ish, bouncers made us take our belt carried 110s back to
our trucks to gain entry to a tiddy bar. I dropped off the sheath and
put the knife in my pocket. Problem solved.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have a box full of Buck, Case, Old Timer and Parker lock back folders. Can't recall the last time I actually took one out and used it. I think I'll dig out my custom shop S30V and wear it today.

Sam......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have a box full of Buck, Case, Old Timer and Parker lock back folders. Can't recall the last time I actually took one out and used it. I think I'll dig out my custom shop S30V and wear it today.
I have a drawer full of lock back folders. My favorite and most used hunting knives are a Buck 500 Duke, a Cold Steel Air Lite and an old Puma 970 Game Warden. All just get carried in a pocket. I have several other large lock backs from Buck, Case, Parker, Schrade/Uncle Henry/Old Timer but they're all much thicker and heavier and not as comfortable for pocket carry so they generally stay home. I don't like a knife on my belt.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MOGC
The Buck Custom Shop builds a very nice knife. I have had several built by the custom shop and they have all been exceptional 110's. There aren't any tricks to sharpening S30V. Several YouTubers do cutting tests comparing various steels against each other and the same steel from different manufacturers and pretty consistently Buck's S30V outcuts the same steel from other makers such as Spyderco and Benchmade. You can expect good performance from the S30 Buck blade.
I have a Spyderco Native and a Bench Made Griptilian and have not been terribly impressed with their S3OV blades.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by poboy
About '74ish, bouncers made us take our belt carried 110s back to
our trucks to gain entry to a tiddy bar. I dropped off the sheath and
put the knife in my pocket. Problem solved.

Had a cousin that did that. He was like Ronny Van Zandt, always looking for a fist fight. I told him that one day he would meet the man he couldn’t beat just before he met his maker & he better be prayed up. About a month later, turns out I was right.

Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
420 hc is an average knife steel . Bucks secret with it was the heat treat , 420 hc from Buck seems very hard .BUCK knives with broken tips are quite common and is why I moved away from Buck years ago . S 30v is a better steel. Older Buck knives seem to have an" apple seed " edge which was hard to reproduce on a flat stone without considerable reprofiling of the edge .Diamond stones are your friend with either one.

Last edited by Clynn; 03/11/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm pretty fond of this Custom 110 in S30V.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Nice !!!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ll carry one of the 110 Lite or slim or whatever it’s called.

The plastic handle version.

A lot thinner than the wood / metal bolster version.

Handy for a beat-around knife.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by local_dirt

That's pretty skookum !

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Reloader, I have the exact knife from Buck's custom shop. You will love it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (3333vl, 470Evans, 257 mag, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 1,949 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,497
Posts18,472,188
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.