Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Sold mine to a computer that decorated restaurants and bars. Got back what the mounting costs were

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you were closer to SW Georgia I could put you in contact with a local outfitter/sporting good store. I see that they are always adding new mounts inside.

We also have a fairly large plantation/lodge here that caters to high dollar hunts. It has a lot of mounts and exotics throughout their various buildings, lodge, and guest homes.

Maybe you have something similar near you? Who knows, contact them and they may swap a bird or deer hunt for some mounts.
https://huntsouthwind.com/

Rick Grimes for Governor
"This isn't a democracy anymore"
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 257wthbylover
Mulrshoe..... Thanks and yeah I am sure my time will come. It's probably closer then I would like. Past season I was able to get a 189" beauty. That after I somehow missed on a 182", but was lucky and found both sheds so I have them at least (and how I know how big he iwas/is) He even had a broken split and I think he has a yr of growth yet. Hopefully we meet up this fall and I win the next encounter.

Cab1958..... PM me and provide a cell # i can text to. I am one of those sad saps that still struggle with pics on this site. I have pics on phone I can send. Keep in mind these come from 25yr+ of hunting in area I was born and raised. Started doing the 'trophy' hunting around 2000. EHD has put a big damper on it but still fun trying...love therapy time in the outdoors. Biggest is 238".

I have seen quite a few people mention they only do Euros now days. Reasons given were cost and able to handle them and see from all angles, space. All very valid and this thread has me thinking I just finished doing last shoulder mount. As it cost 1,000 now days for quality work.
I have my deceased fathers 2 mounts (120-130") and am happy to have those as I was on the hunt with him on both those hunts years and years ago (1990s) and I look at them and have memories of him and that day. Guess that's were price doesn't matter at all to me. Miss him!!

238" ! Holy cow ! Passed a giant ten point some years ago late muzzle loader , windy and getting dark , I can still see him standing there. I made the right choice.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You could give them to the biology department or something at a college or university and then maybe claim a tax deduction. You should talk to your accountant about it. Not sure how to value the donation but if you can get that valuation high enough it could save you some taxes. We give all kinds of clothing, household items, tools etc to thrift store charities each year and get a bit of a write off.

Bb

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a friend that cut some of his euro mounts up and made handles and knobs for his kitchen cabinet doors and drawers at his hunting cabin. They turned out really nice.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Round Oak had quite a collection.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Restaurants are usually in the market for mounted animals too.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
dcd,

Years ago I downsized my house and sold a bunch of taxidermy at Lolli Livestock Market in Macon, Missouri. They have a website that explains their auction procedures.

Though everything that I had with them sold, some of the prices were shockingly low. The most important thing to me was getting rid of the trophies without throwing them in a dumpster. This is what I accomplished.

RS

D
dcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Guess I touched on a soft spot for all of us. Many good thoughts experiences and ideas. Hope we all have time to try them. The most important thought is hold onto the memories. They can't be sold, bartered or traded. You have them forever.They don't take up much space and are yours to visit any time you want or need to. I have some great ones and have shared some wonderful adventures. A few of you know that I have fought Parkinsons for eleven years now and am smart enough to know, as Kenny Rodgers says,
"when to fold them." Believe me when i say "letting go is not so hard to do". The mounts will find new homes. The guns will go to the wood and fields again. The rods will bend f4or another fish and the most precious part of all this, the memories, will forever remain with me.! Most of us are wandering the same path and encountering similar forks in that path. Take one, I promise you it will at the very least provide for another memory. Remember its just "stuff". So give it a chance to be someone else's stuff.
Make no mistake this was written with many teary eyes. And so it should be. All this stuff is important to me. Thank you all for your thoughts, ideas and experiences. I will use them . Remember.The memories are yous to

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I will be dead when I die so Im not too worried about it, but it would be cool to go emperor burry them with you...

IC B3

D
dcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
ttt

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by dcd
Guess I touched on a soft spot for all of us. Many good thoughts experiences and ideas. Hope we all have time to try them. The most important thought is hold onto the memories. They can't be sold, bartered or traded. You have them forever.They don't take up much space and are yours to visit any time you want or need to. I have some great ones and have shared some wonderful adventures. A few of you know that I have fought Parkinsons for eleven years now and am smart enough to know, as Kenny Rodgers says,
"when to fold them." Believe me when i say "letting go is not so hard to do". The mounts will find new homes. The guns will go to the wood and fields again. The rods will bend f4or another fish and the most precious part of all this, the memories, will forever remain with me.! Most of us are wandering the same path and encountering similar forks in that path. Take one, I promise you it will at the very least provide for another memory. Remember its just "stuff". So give it a chance to be someone else's stuff.
Make no mistake this was written with many teary eyes. And so it should be. All this stuff is important to me. Thank you all for your thoughts, ideas and experiences. I will use them . Remember.The memories are yous to

dcd, thanks for starting a good thought starter. Our mounts are a great reminder of our hunts and bring back memories for us, and maybe our kids and friends. Other than that, they are just mounts to others. Mine will probably be sold off after I am gone... I certainly don't have any world record animals but all mine are records to me. One thing that I am doing is to write a story about all my successful hunts. I started many years ago and have them from my first deer to the deer I shot last year. 58 stories so far and I can go back and read them and I am right back in the woods or tundra or mountains where it happened.

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm done with mounting deer heads. Like other said, not many folks care for your cherished possessions if they aren't worth much. I have not hunted Africa yet but said if I ever did, I wouldn't pay to have the trophies brought back. I've seen real nice African taxidermy sell for peanuts at auctions. If I wanted a representative of something I killed in Africa I would just buy one. 99.9 % of people looking at them couldn't tell if it was the animal you killed or an imposter. Most of my deer are in the 100-130" range killed with a bow. They are trophies to me but to anyone else they are just average deer. They started charging $150 for Euro on plaque around here. It was worth it when it was $50. A good shoulder mount is now $700+ I would rather spend that on a used gun. I fear most of my mounts will end up next to the garbage can out on the street after my funeral.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Bluntly, 110 - 130" whitetail mounts are going to have next to no value (outside of sentimental for you and maybe your family).

Probably net more taking a sawzall to them and selling as dog chews to ladies at the farmers or flee market

^^^^^^^^^

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
D
dcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
It certainly is not my intent to offend the taxidermists among us. My apologies for any hint of negativism. DCD.

D
dcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
wknd crowd

D
dcd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
ttt

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

731 members (10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 79 invisible), 3,002 guests, and 1,514 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,737
Posts18,475,993
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.