Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 72 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 71 72
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I like empirical evidence so looked up the actual cost /benefit ratio of Social Security. Only have my own data to go on so this may be skewed somewhat since I made diddly squat for many years and only in the last 15 years or so did I actually make a "good living". SS payments are calculated on the last two years of employment so my early starving years and resulting low contributions actually work in my favor on a strictly bottom line basis.

I have paid a bit over $149,000 total in SS taxes since I began paying them in 1968 working after school jobs. My employers got stuck for some $153,000 so a total of $302,000 taken by the government. Can't accurately determine how COLA will affect future payments, but based on reasonable estimates in roughly 10 years I will break even on how much I and my employers paid in versus what I get out. That's gross amount before mandatory Medicare deductions and taxes on SS.

Sometime in 2035 is when everybody else starts paying for my sports cars, hookers and cocaine.

Just for the hell of it -

Breaking down just my portion - no employer contribution at all - as an equal monthly payment, had I been able to invest just my share at 5% compounded annually for 53 years it would have amounted to $667,000, over twice as much. So you guys wouldn't be buying my drugs and sex until 2045.

That's neither here nor there since the government doesn't let us do that but it does give some concrete numbers about how inefficient and what a ripoff SS is for everybody involved.

Some bitter [bleep] here can't compute this. Thanks for it.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dons99
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You will receive benefits and entitlements at a higher rate than you paid in.

Big Jim,

Why so bitter about SS?

A higher rate than I paid in?

You’re not that dense, You could pay in for 40 years and die after collecting for 2 years.

Must be Whisky in the Tin cup night, with a shot of envy.
Jim is correct. Most people draw more out than they put in. There are some that die young and never draw and some drop dead at age 67 and don't draw much.

I don't have any idea how old Jim is or what he is thinking but it could be that he is paying on a contract he never agreed to for a gimme program that likely won't be there for him.

Social Security at its beginning was not to furnish and finance a nice retirement. The idea was to keep old folks from starving. We all know 50 and 60 year old people that don't have a dollar saved anywhere and they would starve if not the relief system of social security.

It is a shame that most people cannot realize they will be old and unemployable at some point. They could invest what they pay into SS
and have a better retirement but they just will not do it. My wife works for an organization that matches her 401K contributions. There are about 20 people working there and she is one out of the three that participate. The others for some reason cannot see the huge boost they would get by basically buying into the market at 1/2 price. Oh well.
So if I'm getting you right, if I paid an average $100 per month x 50 yrs =60k.(not counting employer matching) And now I'm getting $900 per month so at the 5.5 year point if I can afford it I should contact SS Administration and tell them to stop my payments.

Might be a couple of problems with that, who's to say what I can afford and what I cant? And what happens after I drop my ss and I'm living on a 401k and then the market crashes or the housing bubble pops, or I get sick, etc. Don't know your situation at all but you mentioned your wife is putting into deferred comp. and a wise choice but be honest, are you two going to forgo SS when it's time?

I don’t know about you, but I’d like the 50 years of compounded interest AND principal figured in.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by RUM7
We are way off track.
This thread is about Boomers walking around with a stick up their azz therefore souring their last handful of turns around the sun.

Really it's an important PSA.

Prostate Specific Antigen?

Boomers know about that one.

Yeah, some of us do, and if you’re not getting yours checked every year or so, you may not have to worry about how much SS you’re going to get. Cancer sucks! 🤬!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
BTDT...and it does.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hastings
You will receive benefits and entitlements at a higher rate than you paid in.

Big Jim,

Why so bitter about SS?

A higher rate than I paid in?

You’re not that dense, You could pay in for 40 years and die after collecting for 2 years.

Must be Whisky in the Tin cup night, with a shot of envy.
Jim is correct. Most people draw more out than they put in. There are some that die young and never draw and some drop dead at age 67 and don't draw much.

I don't have any idea how old Jim is or what he is thinking but it could be that he is paying on a contract he never agreed to for a gimme program that likely won't be there for him.

Social Security at its beginning was not to furnish and finance a nice retirement. The idea was to keep old folks from starving. We all know 50 and 60 year old people that don't have a dollar saved anywhere and they would starve if not the relief system of social security.

It is a shame that most people cannot realize they will be old and unemployable at some point. They could invest what they pay into SS
and have a better retirement but they just will not do it. My wife works for an organization that matches her 401K contributions. There are about 20 people working there and she is one out of the three that participate. The others for some reason cannot see the huge boost they would get by basically buying into the market at 1/2 price. Oh well.
So if I'm getting you right, if I paid an average $100 per month x 50 yrs =60k.(not counting employer matching) And now I'm getting $900 per month so at the 5.5 year point if I can afford it I should contact SS Administration and tell them to stop my payments.

Might be a couple of problems with that, who's to say what I can afford and what I cant? And what happens after I drop my ss and I'm living on a 401k and then the market crashes or the housing bubble pops, or I get sick, etc. Don't know your situation at all but you mentioned your wife is putting into deferred comp. and a wise choice but be honest, are you two going to forgo SS when it's time?

I don’t know about you, but I’d like the 50 years of compounded interest AND principal figured in.
Absolutely

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahaha!

That's sweet.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
How about a compromise?

Once Billy Boomer has used up his SS money....the faucet shuts off?

That would be fair right?

You certainly seem to have regards for other peoples money, I guess we could call that a compromise.

So no.

We are then venturing into Welfare status.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by navlav8r
We are way off track.
This thread is about Boomers walking around with a stick up their azz therefore souring their last handful of turns around the sun.

Yeah, some of us do, and if you’re not getting yours checked every year or so, you may not have to worry about how much SS you’re going to get. Cancer sucks! 🤬!
Don't worry, Rum checks Jim's prostrate quite frequently lol

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We are way off track.

Always go gay.

That's telling.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve not read much of this thread but did note the anguish over SS. It’s a government program that’s been totally mis managed, no surprise.
SS needs to be phased out. It’s going to hit a wall in the not to distant future. Seems to me that a bipartisan small group could find a path to get out of this catastrophe, but it won’t be painless. Hopefully the pain would be less and foreseeable while letting SS hit a wall in the future will be more much painful. I’d think something like setting and end date, say 20 years from now. Then ramp down the benefit to the wealthy, over that time. And ramp down the contribution to the lower earners. Maybe expand 401K and Roth programs to further incentivize saving. Post elimination, maintain a fund for the <1% of the population that are truly disabled. After the 20 years, people are on their own, like they were before the democrats started this pile of you know what.
Oh, and I’m a boomer, paid in for 45 years. Wife did same in paying in. Considering compound interest, I’ll never recover what I paid in. My wife collected fo six years and died. Obviously she collected only a fraction of what she paid.

NRA Patron
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like empirical evidence so looked up the actual cost /benefit ratio of Social Security. Only have my own data to go on so this may be skewed somewhat since I made diddly squat for many years and only in the last 15 years or so did I actually make a "good living". SS payments are calculated on the last two years of employment so my early starving years and resulting low contributions actually work in my favor on a strictly bottom line basis.

I have paid a bit over $149,000 total in SS taxes since I began paying them in 1968 working after school jobs. My employers got stuck for some $153,000 so a total of $302,000 taken by the government. Can't accurately determine how COLA will affect future payments, but based on reasonable estimates in roughly 10 years I will break even on how much I and my employers paid in versus what I get out. That's gross amount before mandatory Medicare deductions and taxes on SS.

Sometime in 2035 is when everybody else starts paying for my sports cars, hookers and cocaine.

Breaking down just my portion - no employer contribution at all - as an equal monthly payment, had I been able to invest just my share at 5% compounded annually for 53 years it would have amounted to $667,000, over twice as much. So you guys wouldn't be buying my drugs and sex until 2045.

That's neither here nor there since the government doesn't let us do that but it does give some concrete numbers about how inefficient and what a ripoff SS is for everybody involved.

23 years on the campfire, and you have so little regard for the culture of the campfire that you willingly introduce empirical evidence into a completely emotional discussion.

Sir, at long last, have you no decency?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by dale06
I’ve not read much of this thread but did note the anguish over SS. It’s a government program that’s been totally mis managed, no surprise.
SS needs to be phased out. It’s going to hit a wall in the not to distant future. Seems to me that a bipartisan small group could find a path to get out of this catastrophe, but it won’t be painless. Hopefully the pain would be less and foreseeable while letting SS hit a wall in the future will be more much painful. I’d think something like setting and end date, say 20 years from now. Then ramp down the benefit to the wealthy, over that time. And ramp down the contribution to the lower earners. Maybe expand 401K and Roth programs to further incentivize saving. Post elimination, maintain a fund for the <1% of the population that are truly disabled. After the 20 years, people are on their own, like they were before the democrats started this pile of you know what.
Oh, and I’m a boomer, paid in for 45 years. Wife did same in paying in. Considering compound interest, I’ll never recover what I paid in. My wife collected fo six years and died. Obviously she collected only a fraction of what she paid.

There certainly must be a better way forward.

I think my grandmother drew for like 40 years.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
The folks that rely on SS would not have saved the money on their own.

They just wouldn't have done it.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We are way off track.

I live a lot closer to you. Just saying. .....

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunzo

Some bitter [bleep] here can't compute this. Thanks for it.

Assuming Jim in Idaho numbers are somewhat relative, and they appear to be ,

300,000 a year invested at a modest 6%, 18,000 a year just in interest not even touching the principal, or 1500 a month, again not even touching the principal, 1500, likely about the average SS payout, Your getting the interest back, .Gov gets the original 300K.

Ya, Some boomer getting 1800 a month for several years till death is the root of the issue.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

You going to answer the questions when you called me out, or keep thinking about Jims’ prostrate?

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by dale06
Ha I’ve got a Roth it’s a schit show F.uck that🤣🤣

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N

That’s probably true.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D

You are likely correct. Pre SS people people got by.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson

You going to answer the questions when you called me out, or keep thinking about Jims’ prostrate?
Dude you started this whole thread just so you could stir up the s-hit and sit back, well look who's all pissed and emotional now lol. Some of us boomers been playing this game longer than you been alive. Suck-it! Lol

Page 25 of 72 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 71 72

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (06hunter59, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 21, 160user, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,005 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,270
Posts18,525,479
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.