Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Kids gifted us a smoker grill...fun and tasty food, but being amateurs and not knowing what to use , we bought a sack of pellets from WallO China mart. It seems to me these cheap pellets have an awful lot of dirt in them. I have to take the shop vac and suck that silt out of the firepot after almost every use. Is that normal? I expect ash of course, but this seems like dirt, and eventually it builds up and restricts the air draft.
Any recommendations or tips greatly appreciated. It is a Green Mtn grill and we mostly do pork, lamb and occasionally beef if that makes any difference.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Pellet only ?

Or....can you burn real wood ?

Mine is a home built unit burning fruit wood

Low & slow.......225-250*

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Use a higher quality pellet like Bear Mountain.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Pellet only ?

Or....can you burn real wood ?

Mine is a home built unit burning fruit wood

Low & slow.......225-250*

Pellet only...your homebuilt would be the ideal, but it was a gift and as such, I'd be a flaming bastard to go after it with a cutting torch.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I got a elec smoker

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Use a higher quality pellet like Bear Mountain.
Thanks, google says Home Depot carries it. We go to the city with a HD a couple times a month.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a few bags of Bear Mt from the local Cash and Carry. Always burned decent, but I just used them in an AmazN smoker tray. Never owned a pellet grill.

How I stored them had a huge impact on how they burned. Over winter when it’s wet as schit and humidity is up, gotta put them somewhere dry. Garage had too much moisture and they burn poorly.

I’d microwave a bowl of them before lighting them up just to get moisture out.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Kids gifted us a smoker grill...fun and tasty food, but being amateurs and not knowing what to use , we bought a sack of pellets from WallO China mart. It seems to me these cheap pellets have an awful lot of dirt in them. I have to take the shop vac and suck that silt out of the firepot after almost every use. Is that normal? I expect ash of course, but this seems like dirt, and eventually it builds up and restricts the air draft.
Any recommendations or tips greatly appreciated. It is a Green Mtn grill and we mostly do pork, lamb and occasionally beef if that makes any difference.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Maybe clay was used as a binder?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,433
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.