Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm thinking about buying myself one of the new Ruger American rifles in 7.62x39 or 308 (maybe both).

Anybody have one? Do you like it? Pluses or minuses?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My personal preference is for the first gen. My experience with these has been to models that use AR mags, 350 Legend and 5.56/223 Rem. I am happy with both for the $500 price point.

M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
My personal preference is for the first gen. My experience with these has been to models that use AR mags, 350 Legend and 5.56/223 Rem. I am happy with both for the $500 price point.

Thanks

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just get the .308 and use the money you save for good optics/ammo/components. The little rusky is IMO, at its best in rifles scaled to its size. Ammo is much less available than formerly too, judging by a quick search, and our family experience trying to keep my grandson’s Howa supplied with SSTs. By all means check for yourself and see if what’s available meets your needs.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
308 mercans should be standard issue for every hunter.

Great aftermarket

Good customer service

Way too dmn accurate

Better 1:10" rifling. Took tikka 2 decades to un-fk that 1:11" garbage

One of the most solid bedding systems ever put on a budget rifle: twin stainless steel v-blocks that lock into recesses in the receiver.

Box trigger is actually open at the sear, so u can blast cleaner right onto the critical areas.

As light or lighter than anything out there

Rugged extractor.

3-lug bolt

Now a 3 position safety on the gen 2, which is a big deal.

An actual short action, unlike the tikka.

Many come set up for AI mags, which is ideal.

Anyhow, a mercan is light-years better than all the other budget rifles out there.

Cracks me up, the fools that think a fkn tikka is superior. It's not. And this is why mercans outsell tikka 12 to 1.

IC B2

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Gave my brother my beloved 788 223 because he gave me his model 12 20 gauge to give my middle daughter for Christmas. Then he sold me an American in 223 with a 20 inch barrel super cheap. It doesn't shoot like the 788, but its still minute of gopher, handy as hell, and since both were pickup guns, I will feel better if the American ever gets stolen knowing my 788 is safe at his house.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The American Rifle? She ain’t purty, but she sure works!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The gen 1 fits me better than the gen 2. Mine was a 6.5cm and very accurate but it would not extract/eject 90% of the time so I moved it along. A friend has a gen 1 in 6cm that will not extract or eject. Ruger sent new extractors, springs and detent ball but they didn’t fix either rifle. I still have the green stock and factory AI mag set up but I doubt I’d get another one. I do like the 3 position safety on the gen 2 rifles.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a used .308 that already had a timney trigger. Dang if it doesn't shoot good. So, I bought a used 6mm predator. I put a timney in it. Only shot a couple of loads but easily an moa or less rifle. Plus, as mainer says, it's light and handy. Love that about them. I "almost" feel bad about not buying a Tikka. Got these two at half price.

I handled a gen 2. I liked the stock better. But I hate the flared barrel and brake....that's just dumb!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had three and still have two American Ranch rifles. I have (2) Gen 1 Ranch rifles in 7.62x39 and I had a 5.56 Ranch with the AR mags. All functioned great but the 5.56 had a forearm like a wet noodle! A call to Ruger (excellent customer service) and I had a new stick on the way no charge. Helped stiffen it up a great deal. The stocks are cheap plastic but like Mainer said earlier, the bedding blocks make them very accurate. My commie round rifles are by far my most shot centerfires but the ammo situation is changing with them quickly. They are no longer super cheap to shoot (availability of eastern block ammo). But I love them!

I am seriously considering a predator in 308 myself. Really have no need for it, just think it would be a good one to have in collection.

I too favor Gen 1 over Gen 2 tho

IC B3

M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks everyone. I've got a lead on a Howa in 7.62x39 so I'll look to pick up the Ruger in 308!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have a couple Predators first gen, very very happy with them. I’ve got another in the second gen on order.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have the . 243 WIn. in the compact /18" barrel.. It is not a top of the line gun, but for $464 I knew I had a place for it. I hunt deer in public land marshes in S.E. Wisconsin.. It is common to trip ass over tea kettle over fallen ash trees that are covered with marsh grass. Falling through ice and into muck is common. Getting deep in water over the boots happen all the time. SOmetimes the gun goes with it. I snuggle in trees and hide to ambush whitetails, and need something simple, tough and not expensive. I need it light cause I hike in muck and through cattail marshes.. It's a mess out there but that's where the deer are. I got 3 deer in 2 yrs. with it and it works very well. Distances are 25yds. on avr. No need for 400 yd. groups , so it works very well for me. I get about 2" @ 100yds.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I really like my American Ranch Compact 350 Legend.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I tried an American in 30-06 a few years ago. Always been a big fan of M77s so I really wanted to like the American. I never liked the zipper sound of the bolt and the factory stock just felt cheap and flimsy. I replaced the factory plastic with a Boyd's laminate, but that made it heavy, and one of the few things I liked about it in factory form was the light weight. Also, after trying two stocks, two scopes, and every handloading trick I knew, I couldn't get it to consistently shoot under 1.5 MOA. I already had experience with the Marlin X-7 as a budget rifle, so the American just seemed like a big step down in quality. It eventually went down the road.

I've decided if I want to shoot a Ruger, I'll stick to my M77s. If I ever feel the need for another budget level, synthetic stocked rifle, I'll look for another Marlin on the used market.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I found a S&W 1700, which is a Howa 1500 with an upgraded stock for less than a new Ruger American. The S&W is a lot more gun for less money. I'd look for a used bargain first.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jobyjob
I really like my American Ranch Compact 350 Legend.

How does it shoot for you? I have Win. XPR in .350 and thinking of selling it for a gen II American Ranch in .350, threaded and shorter for use with a can

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of the ones with the fancy camo, and brake, in 7mm PRC. It certainly seems to shoot very well, though I have only tried one load so far.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ruger American in 5.56
I love it.

16 inch barrel
Easy to shoot.
Accurate with lots of bullet choices/weights....Why? twist rate is 1/8.
Takes AR mags.
Light weight.
Very hard to beat in the field for hunting many kinds of game if loaded properly.

Best part its a BOLT ACTION and ITS CHEAP TO FEED..it will run any load you can cook up from .22 LR to full power .223 remington loads.

Best
Heavy

Last edited by HeavyDove; 03/18/24.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a 358 Winchester and a 22-250 8" twist gen 1 rifles.
My only complaint is the saftey is loud coming off and 450 Bushmaster mags were needed to make them work.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (35, Anaconda, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,411
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.