Print Thread
Hop To
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Recently acquired a 44 magnum 7.5" barrel Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter. The one with the grooves in the rib to accept scope mounts. It seems to be a great revolver!

I've never scoped a revolver before and intend on this being a dedicated hunting revolver. I'm good with open sights at modest ranges, but at 50 - 100+ yards, I think a scope would be quite helpful to this older hunter.

Looking for recommendations. Scope? Or perhaps a red dot of some sort?

Uncharted territory for me. I have shot with red dot equipped handguns and enjoyed them.

Thanks, Guy

GB1

Campfire Member
Online Sleepy
Campfire Member
Ultradot is the way to go IMO for my “older eyes”. Quality Japanese red dot that stands up to abuse and does everything you need out to 100 yds. Unless you’re set on having magnification, I highly recommend.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I had a 2x leupold on mine.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have Leupold fixed 2x handgun scopes on 2 revolvers (an .44 mag and a .41 mag)and have found them pretty much ideal for the purpose. I have never seen much sense in the added bulk and complication of a variable on a large caliber hunting revolver.

Unfortunately the market, or at least the manufacturers, don’t seem to agree with me. I believe only variables are now available for new purchase.

You’d probably be as well served by a red dot.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Ultra Dot or a reflex sight

I'm liking the Burris FastFire3 on my shotguns enough that I may drop one on a 44 or three.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wreckster84
Ultradot is the way to go IMO for my “older eyes”. Quality Japanese red dot that stands up to abuse and does everything you need out to 100 yds. Unless you’re set on having magnification, I highly recommend.

+1 on the Ultradot 👍🏼

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Another vote for an UltraDot. Had the 30mm, small moa (2moa?), models on 2 Rugers, a 44 Mag and a 41 Mag.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don’t care for a magnified optic on a handgun, as I consider them to be a short-range (100 and under) gun unless supported, and a pair of cross-sticks or trekking poles is all I’m gonna tote around the woods. Shooting at the range or from a blind or shed is obviously a different scenario, one I don’t do. A 1x scope or one with 1x on the bottom end is easier to get behind than even a 2x.

I like a 2 or at most 3 moa red dot. The Burris FF has worked for me on several handguns, only up to .357 so far. It’s light and tough (light helps with that so far as staying put goes). They have a mount that fits the Ruger mount slots too.

Top of the line would be an Aimpoint, and one of the tube-types could be mounted with 30mm rings. Super rugged, with looonnngg battery life, but a bit heavier of course, and spendier.

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Mine is the bisley version, in 41 mag. 7.5 inch SBH hunter.

I have a 2-6x32 Bushnell and a 2x20 Nikon monarch. The variable is worthless above 2x for anything but rested shots. It has been permanently moved to a Savage Striker which has a bipod.

The 2x Nikon works very well for me for offhand shots, and rested shots from 50 to 150 yds. My revolver has printed six inch groups with 210 gr XTP and H110 at 130 yds from sandbags using the Nikon.

A red dot is intriguing, but I have not tried one yet.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
T
I have inherited my dad’s Blackhawk Hunter. It’s been magna-ported and wears a Nikon 2x scope, which we both thought was max magnification for a hunting revolver. I remember when he heard that Ruger was making it and as soon as he saw a picture of it, he ordered one. He enjoyed single action revolvers (truth is he loved them all, lol) and thought the Hunter was about perfect!

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've had a Nikon 1-4 variable on mine since the mid-nineties, I think it's a second year gun. The 4x is nice for working up loads at the 100yd range. Having said that, doing it over, I would definitely go with an Ultradot or 3MOA reflex like the Holosun or Burris FF. The quality and pricing of the red dots just wasn't where it is now, back then. The scope is a bit unwieldy and adds a lot of bulk and I'm pretty sure I can shoot at 1x just as effectively now as with it at 4x so the dot sights are not a hindrance in any way.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hey Guy, that 44 should make an awesome critter getter! The first deer I ever shot was with a scoped S&W 44 mag and have been hooked ever since. Handgun hunting can be a challenge but is very rewarding. I bought this old 2.5x nickel Redfield for $100 OTD and put it on my .45 Bisley Hunter. Wound up buying an identical 4x Redfield I'm going to use on my stainless Ruger Mk II.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Keep moving forward!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My SBH is one of the most accurate revolvers I’ve ever shot. 2” groups with cast bullets at 100 yards with sights that came on it. Later I put different iron sights due to the course adjustments with Ruger’s sights.

But to get that kind of accuracy anymore I had to add a scope. The scope I have on it is a 2.5x I believe. I rarely shoot it now because it just doesn’t feel like a revolver anymore - big and clumsy. I recently had my eyes worked on and maybe I’ll go back to iron sights.

Now if I hunted like many do from a stand, that scope might be perfect IDK.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I put a Vortex Venom Red dot on my SBH. Works great - didn't know that revolver was that accurate.

Last edited by centershot; 03/18/24.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.