Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Some time back my wife got one of those little monitors you clamp over your finger that measures oxygen levels and heart rate. It sits on a stool beside my chair and I check it now and then just out of curiosity.

Resting heart rate is usually low 60's to low 70's. 65-68 is average, oxygen level 98%.

Our driveway is 900' with a steady rise and a pretty good incline farther up. I'll walk that down and back in the evening and be hoofing it at a pretty good clip. When I come in and check it oxygen level is 99%, heart rate is 155-175.

Blood pressure is usually 110/80. All signs point to healthy at 53, but my cholesterol makes the Dr's spin around and look. I don't go to the Dr. much but they wanted me on cholesterol medicine way back when I was 18 and got my blood checked. Never got on it and according to them it's still high.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
GB4

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
That device you’re using,,,didn’t those have a recall and were taken off of the market?

I’m not sure which brand it was.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Get a UTV, problem solved.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Resting heart rate doesn't mean alot until you get into world class athletes.

VO2 max more important.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those devices give a false reading if your skin is dark. That makes it racist. I [bleep] you not. Some university did a study and reached that conclusion.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What's a UTV ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

VO2 max more important.

Heck I don't know that it means anything medically. Although I'm sure you don't want a resting heart rate above 100. But I do find it interesting that I can get a visual of what's happening in a relaxed state and based on my breathing pattern. I try to mimic that state when I'm shooting. Common sense tells me that I should be able to shoot better with a heart rate of 65, then 110.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Houston_2
That device you’re using,,,didn’t those have a recall and were taken off of the market?

I’m not sure which brand it was.

Heck I don't know. I don't go to the Dr very often at all.......years in between, but was there recently is how I know my cholesterol is still high according to them. But this little device matches what they said my pulse was at the Dr's office. Low 70's at the Dr.

This one just shows a tag on the back that says fingertip pulse oximeter. Doesn't show a brand.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Get a UTV, problem solved.
😂🤣😂👍👍

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

VO2 max more important.

Heck I don't know that it means anything medically. Although I'm sure you don't want a resting heart rate above 100. But I do find it interesting that I can get a visual of what's happening in a relaxed state and based on my breathing pattern. I try to mimic that state when I'm shooting. Common sense tells me that I should be able to shoot better with a heart rate of 65, then 110.

IIRC, Apple discontinued theirs and Philips recalled theirs.

If yours is matching your doc’s it must be a good one.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Just checked mine 42 bpm.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The peoples of the world that have the highest cholesterol have the lowest incidence of heart problems, can your doctor explain this fact ?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

VO2 max more important.

IIRC, Apple discontinued theirs and Philips recalled theirs.

If yours is matching your doc’s it must be a good one.

Don't know about Philips, but the Apple brand makes me think it was probably high tech wi-fi blue tooth capable, link to your phone and keep records of your data and blah, blah, blah. If so that doesn't surprise me in the least. Like all the gadgetry in the new vehicles. What could possibly go wrong??

Mine is a simple put your finger in and hit the on button, with a small digital screen and 2 AAA batteries in the back. Oxygen level and pulse is all it reads.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That HR after a 600 yard walk, even if it was uphill both ways seems mighty high.

I recently picked up a Samsung Watch 6 that has been very enlightening as to what's going on with the ticker and other things. Does VO2 max, oxygen level, body comp, HR, tracks HR and other stats over periods of time and workouts, sleep patterns - all sorts of stuff. Figured if it can guide me through improvements that's less I have to go to the doc and should easily pay for itself.

Best if all you can monitor progress over weeks and months as you improve through working out and lifestyle modifications. I can go back to last Thanksgiving to workouts that bout kilt me but would be a cakewalk today.

Tried to get you some screen shots but ain't that tech savvy, lol.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I can see it being that high if it is hot and humid where he is at.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Distridr
That HR after a 600 yard walk, even if it was uphill both ways seems mighty high.

I recently picked up a Samsung Watch 6 that has been very enlightening as to what's going on with the ticker and other things. Does VO2 max, oxygen level, body comp, HR, tracks HR and other stats over periods of time and workouts, sleep patterns - all sorts of stuff. Figured if it can guide me through improvements that's less I have to go to the doc and should easily pay for itself.

Best if all you can monitor progress over weeks and months as you improve through working out and lifestyle modifications. I can go back to last Thanksgiving to workouts that bout kilt me but would be a cakewalk today.

Tried to get you some screen shots but ain't that tech savvy, lol.

Don't know, like I said, I hoof it....when breathing picks up, I push all the harder. But I'm not in the shape I should be, mostly due to not feeling well since before deer season. I was existing, but doing as little as possible which is why I went to the Dr. Got checked for Lyme disease just in case, but came back negative. Only thing they found was a inflammatory marker in my blood, but said it was none descriptive, meaning they didn't know what it was coming from.

Whatever it was, I slowly but surely have been feeling better. Now that I don't feel like I'm knocking on deaths door, time to get back in shape.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Eat a 1/4 cup of raw walnuts a day and the bad stuff will go down.

You will still have to be smart what you eat but walnuts are better for you that that crap they are pushing.

I was put on 2 different meds for that crap but it was not lowering anything but my energy level.

I got blood tests every 6 weeks to see what was happening.

Was told about walnuts so i tried them.

Next test the bad things were lowered a lot and i got them back to normal by the next blood test.

Before i ate them i told the doc i was no longer taking the meds.

Doesn't cost much to try and they might curb the urge to eat between meals.

Good luck

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Eat a 1/4 cup of raw walnuts a day and the bad stuff will go down.

You will still have to be smart what you eat but walnuts are better for you that that crap they are pushing.

I was put on 2 different meds for that crap but it was not lowering anything but my energy level.

I got blood tests every 6 weeks to see what was happening.

Was told about walnuts so i tried them.

Next test the bad things were lowered a lot and i got them back to normal by the next blood test.

Before i ate them i told the doc i was no longer taking the meds.

Doesn't cost much to try and they might curb the urge to eat between meals.

Good luck

I can try it, things that are good for you can't hurt. Although I will say it's not something I think about. Like I said, they wanted to put me on cholesterol medication way back when I was 18, and I was in tip top shape.

Found that out because I had fell and ran piece of rusted up, crapped up, metal chicken wire in under my knee cap mid morning. By late afternoon I had high fever and could barely get off the floor. Blood poisoning apparently. Went to the Dr and they took a blood test which is when they discovered the cholesterol numbers.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
The peoples of the world that have the highest cholesterol have the lowest incidence of heart problems, can your doctor explain this fact ?

Where did you get that bit of information?

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
Those devices give a false reading if your skin is dark. That makes it racist.

No, that is just built in theft protection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,931
Posts18,479,931
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.