Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Backroads
The best Yellowstone trips don’t include the park at all, unless you want to have ten thousand tourons sharing the wilderness experience with you.
How much weather are you interested in?

I don’t want crowds, I hate rain, but can stand a few nights below zero with snow.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Flashdog
It has been crowded every time we have been there except the time we went in winter. Try not to be pulling your trailer while you are actually driving through the Park, it will make parking much more difficult. Try to get to the entrance early in the morning. You really don’t need to see everything. When you have seen one geyser, hot spring, paint pot, fumarole, etc. you have seen them all. Enjoy the trip. Everyone should visit Yellowstone, and the drive there and back is half the fun.

If my teardrop (King bed on wheels) doesn’t go, I don’t go. I’m used to Gov land where you can pull off and camp anywhere, not the case there?

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 03/17/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Backroads
The best Yellowstone trips don’t include the park at all,

I’ll respectfully disagree, There’s a reason why the park was created to protect its contents.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JD338
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
JohnnyLoco: Go in mid to late September and be sure to include at least ONE traverse of the incredible "Beartooth Highway" - which is just outside the park to the north.
We did that Beartooth trip again last year and spotted lots of Mt. Goats and a "wild" Grizzly Bear there on!
Be sure and plan your stop at "Artist Point" at "mid-day" so no shadows will hamper the incredible photography/views there.
Jackson Hole is ALWAYS stunning there, and do a gondola ski ift sidetrip there to the top of some ridges.
If'n you are over 65 be sure to buy a National Park Pass this is good forever and will save you money at every National Park between Texas and Glacier national Park (if'n you care to do that mileage - which is I think well worth that effort/expense).
Drive careful and enjoy - be sure to do Cody, Wyoming and its wonderful museums/rodeo there.
Enjoy and take a couple of kalifornicationkopians back to Texas with you while you are up this way.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Good info VG.
We bought our Sr. Discount Natl. Park pass 2 yrs ago. I can't remember the cost but I was 62 and eligible in '22.
We are going to travel the Beartooth Hwy this year and enter YNP from the north like you mentioned. Breathtaking views await our trip this year.

I have a Golden Access Pass being a disabled Vet that I’m sure they wish they could take back 🤣😂

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I didn’t mean don’t take your camper. I meant leave it somewhere (campground?) before you actually drive around in the Park.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gotcha

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I ain’t taking any Californians back with me, we have enough 🤣😂

I have no hate for the Bersa 380.

Wildlife is not really my primary objective on the trip as my ranch has some freak animals I see on a daily basis. Its more of a trip for the wife. Being deeply remote in the Texas Hill Country, a place to stay in Lincoln County New Mexico, and Navy Base Lodging on the coast, I’m fine just staying in my Zone.

Its just another place to enjoy the scenery with a drink and sex.
Where abouts in Lincoln County New Mexico do you stay?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
Im not reading anyone else’s posts

BUT you better start campsite reservations asap. Every possible campsite can fill up months out.

Yellowstone/Teton CG's were booked full 8 weeks ago

Same a s Zion......Arches

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
If you have intentions of camping, you might be better off just outside the park. Gardiner Montana to the north, west yellowstone Montana to the west, or Cody Wy to the east. Same goes for eating. Food in Yellowstone iss high priced and not very appetizing.
If in summer tourism season, expect crowds and traffic jams. If someone from new york city sees a chipmunk along side the road, instant traffic jam and hundreds of cameras taking wildlife pictures. If more into later season, September, be prepared for snow and possible blizzards with roads shut down. I was out there once second week of September and had fourteen inches of snow in one night. October could find some places closed up already for the season.
Jackson wy has some sights to see, but is more known as a tourist trap. Tetons are a grand sight and with many walking trails, if you are into that. Hiking in Yellowstone, be sure to head wildlife rules and I would suggest carrying bear spray.
First time visitors can be overwhelming, but you will have fun.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gotcha
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Wildlife is not really my primary objective on the trip as my ranch has some freak animals I see on a daily basis. Its more of a trip for the wife. Being deeply remote in the Texas Hill Country, a place to stay in Lincoln County New Mexico, and Navy Base Lodging on the coast, I’m fine just staying in my Zone.

In a Ruidoso Condo that flys the Texas flag, or one of our special camp sites.

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Flashdog
It has been crowded every time we have been there except the time we went in winter. Try not to be pulling your trailer while you are actually driving through the Park, it will make parking much more difficult. Try to get to the entrance early in the morning. You really don’t need to see everything. When you have seen one geyser, hot spring, paint pot, fumarole, etc. you have seen them all. Enjoy the trip. Everyone should visit Yellowstone, and the drive there and back is half the fun.

If my teardrop (King bed on wheels) doesn’t go, I don’t go. I’m used to Gov land where you can pull off and camp anywhere, not the case there?
Dry camp in Island Park. Day trip to park

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Someone else mentioned it already. But do take time to drive the Beartooth Highway.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Make sure to make it to Wild Bills museum in Cody, it's worth the trip all by itself.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Book a private Yellowstone tour guide. They take you in a van to wherever something interesting is visible or going on, takes you to where you can see wolves and are always on the radio to hear what is going on in other areas and can take you to the locations.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
If you can get reservations, my wife loved staying at the hotel lakeside in the park. It's historic, food was very good, and the view was incredible.
We went in May and it wasn't a crowded mess.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I’d prefer as much of no reservation as possible so I don’t find myself busting hump to make it somewhere

I have a Golden Access Pass too

I was going to suggest that you find an office that issues them and acquire one if you're a Veteran. I plan to use mine on Yellowstone this year as well......during the early season!

Frog----OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I can heartily recommend that if you have time, drive through Cody WY and check out the Buffalo Bill Museum and then take the North Fork Road to the East entrance of Yellowstone and stop at Buffalo Bills original Hunting Lodge just east of the gate entrance. Pretty interesting.

For dinner in Cody, you should try Buffalo Bills Hotel Irma.......fantastic old West Saloon atmosphere with ornate fittings, huge bar mirror, and plenty of photographs, and animal mounts.

Frog----OUT!

Last edited by frogman43; 03/18/24.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Gotcha
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

In a Ruidoso Condo that flys the Texas flag, or one of our special camp sites.
Thanks

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by frogman43
I can heartily recommend that if you have time, drive through Cody WY and check out the Buffalo Bill Museum and then take the North Fork Road to the East entrance of Yellowstone and stop at Buffalo Bills original Hunting Lodge just east of the gate entrance. Pretty interesting.

For dinner in Cody, you should try Buffalo Bills Hotel Irma.......fantastic old West Saloon atmosphere with ornate fittings, huge bar mirror, and plenty of photographs, and animal mounts.

Frog----OUT!
Agree; we went in mid-June. On last day at Yellowstone we went out through Lamer Valley to Cody via Cooke City entrance. Beautiful drive. Eat and have a beer at Beartooth Cafe in Cooke City. The museum is a full day. If you have kids; they will enjoy the rodeo. Then drove from Cody back through the Yellowstone Lake Region of the park to Teton/Jackson. Jenny Lake and the Lodge there are a nice stop.
Enjoyed a nice fly fishing float trip out of Jackson on the Green River, caught some really nice browns.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 03/18/24.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
We parked our van on the side of the road along the river near the north entrance. It was a zoo inside. Mostly people and clogged traffic looking for bears or whatever nobody else could see. The toxic waste dump on top of a ticking volcano wasn't all that scenic. But the elk licking that [bleep] was disturbing. Black Hills and Tetons are much more interesting and beautiful. Get you one of those National Park passes.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.