Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JD45
Has anyone ever gotten disability for hearing loss and tinnitus? I've suffered bad for 33 years.

10% VA disability for mine. It was caused by an IED and lots of machine gun fire while I was an infantry line medic.

Medics bury their mistakes..
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Originally Posted by ARTY
Way to many charge 7 white bag for me. Basically deaf in both ears. Tinnitus is horrible raven with deafness.

Sorry, maybe I'm overlooking an obvious, but what is that?

Artillery powder charges. I was bunked outside a compound containing a battery of Triple 7 artillery cannons and lost more sleep due to them than incoming fire.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by Yank
My wife is an audiologist. She treats tinnitus all the time. Hearing aids, by far, is the best treatment. New hearing aids use different sound frequencies to try to "neutralize", for lack of a better word, the tone of your specific tinnitus. Its a process, but once its calibrated correctly, it works very well.

Hi Yank, is there a certain brand of hearing aids that you can recommend that will help?

Thanks ~

I like my Phonak brand hearing aids. They work well and I can even stream TV to them.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Mine has changed recently. Always a constant ringing in my left ear, but now sometimes I get a loud chirp like there's a bug in my ear. Sounds like someone is typing Morse Code. Comes and goes for no reason. It's sometimes so bad it'll keep me from falling asleep or wake me up if it comes on during the night. Doc says there's no treatment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dinny
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by Yank
My wife is an audiologist. She treats tinnitus all the time. Hearing aids, by far, is the best treatment. New hearing aids use different sound frequencies to try to "neutralize", for lack of a better word, the tone of your specific tinnitus. Its a process, but once its calibrated correctly, it works very well.

Hi Yank, is there a certain brand of hearing aids that you can recommend that will help?

Thanks ~

I like my Phonak brand hearing aids. They work well and I can even stream TV to them.

Cool thanks Dinny ~ have a great Monday

KB

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Has anyone ever gotten disability for hearing loss and tinnitus? I've suffered bad for 33 years.

Yes, file a claim with the VA.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Flashdog
When my older son was about 10 we were out in the woods one day. He said “it sure is peaceful out here.” I said “yeah, nothing but the crickets.” He said “what crickets?”

Same thing for me. Wife and I were camping 20 years ago and I commented listen to all the crickets, she said what crickets? Didn't know I had it till then.

Luke 22:36
εγώ δεν θα συμμορφωθεί
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Craigster

I tried - even tho your job required head set use with high volume static and coms for 8-10 hours a day for your entire enlistment, we find no connection to your tinnitus.

Me

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Craigster

I tried - even tho your job required head set use with high volume static and coms for 8-10 hours a day for your entire enlistment, we find no connection to your tinnitus.

File an appeal.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JD45,

Yes they have.. Tinnitus and hearing loss are the most common VA disabilities..
I suggest you find a VA advocate to talk to about your hearing loss/tinnitus.
In my area they are supported by the county and will help you try to
find your way thru the VA system. Of course, you will need some "proof" that
your disability is Service Related. However, they will help you determine if
your "proof" is valid.. it's worth a try.. Good Luck..

... Message me if you need more information..

Last edited by Alruner; 03/18/24.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got it from having covid, woke up one morning and it was like some high pitched electronic devise was left on. It was a very very very hard time in my life, about the hardest time I can remember having. I didn't sleep for like 5 days. even thinking about that time is very disturbing to me. I went to 2 different ear doctors about it. both had slightly different explanations but both helped me. Most ear doctors don't wanna mess with it because they don't really make any money on it. The truth is there is noise all of us have that we don't recognize or hear. The sound of our heart beating is very loud in our bodies but we can't hear it because its always been there.

The founder of texas roundhouse had exactly what I had. covid induced tinnitius, he ended up checking out. It can be a very very hard thing for people to deal with. If you are dealing with it all I can say is give it time. I have lived near rail road tracks twice in my life. After hearing the trains come and go long enough, you get to where you don't even notice them anymore. Same thing with tinnitus. For me its been 2.5 years and every now and then it seems to get pretty loud. Other days I can't really hear it unless I try to. Some days I forget about it all together. I think with even more time it will diminish even more. Its also possible for people to be able to tone it out and have it go away. I think for me though the problem was the onset of it was so tramatic for me, its hard for me to just kick it to the curb all the way.

my hearing is about the same as a person in their late 20's, my overall hearing is excellent, that is what made this so damn hard.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Started when I was 14. Dad touched his 270 weatherby mag off about 18 inches from my ear. So loud it knocked me down and I lost hearing for a week. I remember that day like it was yesterday but he got the deer he was shooting at. I just signed up for a free hearing check at the sportsman's show yesterday.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've had cicadas in my ears for many years. PITA but livable.

Y
Y
In my wife's opinion, Phonak and Starkey probably have the best software out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
106mm Recoilless Rifle.

Cicadas ever since.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rock concerts, shooting without ear protection, and 44 years working around aircraft has left it's toll on my poor ears. If only we could turn back time.......

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Batchief909
Rock concerts, shooting without ear protection, and 44 years working around aircraft has left it's toll on my poor ears. If only we could turn back time.......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I went to the ear Dr last year for the first time. I'm young-ish, 40 but worked as a mechanic for half of my life and suffer a weird form of tinnitus. It constantly sounds like I have a neighbor blaring music in their house with a reverberating bass line. When we first moved in this house I thought it was just that and walked up and down the street looking for the asshòle that was playing music that loud late at night. Took me forever to realize it was tinnitus. Dr says it's produced by the brain and not the ears. Recommended hearing aids that I can't afford and insurance doesn't cover.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We actually had and used (on occasion) vintage Bazookas.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Lots of attention given here on hearing loss from shooting due to the nature of the website. Fact is 2-3 hours at your local bar/resturant at 90db to 100 db will do more damage than a couple of rifle shots at 120 db. --- but its socially acceptable. What about the greater numbers of folks with hearing loss that don't shoot? Was it the lack of Selenium and Iodine in the diet that caused the hair cells to die (lack of thyroid)?

Anyone ever tried Cryotherapy?

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (160user, 2500HD, 3333vl, 257 mag, 12344mag, 39 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,498
Posts18,472,211
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.