Hop To
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Folks,
I've seen some ads for Tikka rifles and noticed they have a model " T3x Lite Roughtech ". It's a .243 with a 1 in 8" twist barrel. I have a Ruger No.1 RSI .243 and it's perfect for deer hunting in PA but I'm looking for a bolt gun with the faster twist and want to know about these rifles. I've no knowledge at all.
If anyone has personal knowledge of them, I'd appreciate your feedback. Normal information: accuracy-trigger-is it adjustable or do you need an aftermarket - how's the stock. Something that isn't too heavy I can put night vision on or scope it and use with night light. My Pulsar Digex C50 is about 2 pounds. Too old for much weight anymore!!
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Semper Fidelis
Soup

Down South 68-69

Last edited by Soup; 03/15/24.
HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Soup, that is an excellent rifle. Very accurate, and lightweight. If you plan on using or swapping your thermal, buy a good rail for it, like the factory steel CTR rail, or a Mountain Tactical rail. Weight has been listed all over the place at 5 pounds, and 6.8 pounds. I'd expect it to weigh in around 6.2-6.5 pounds.

You ask about the trigger. Tikka's are well known for having very good triggers. Some guys buy an upgraded spring, but I've never had any issues getting the factory pull weight down to 2 pounds even. The Roughttech and Roughtech Ember are a step above the typical T3x, as they have a few extra features, like the fluted bolt body, and nice textured stock, that is tan, or an ember red color (Ember models).

The barrels are fluted, like the superlite, but a heavier contour. They are also threaded for a muzzle device. The 8 twist .243 would be a very nice rifle to have. I'm waiting for them to come out with a 6mm Creedmoor, but the fast twist .243 would be a fun one to play around with as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Tikka T3x are very competent rifles. I hear all the stocks are the same base model with coatings sprayed on roughtech and ember models.
The trigger pull weight adjusts easily with wrench. Some models I choose to install the trigger pull weight reduction spring, others I feel don't need it. same exact trigger just different uses.
Mags are single stack durable glass fiber-reinforced plastic composite, and are quiet, I've had no issues in nearly 20 years.
I have mounted large scopes, night vision with huge light, and thermal on steel rail. Haven't needed a riser rail on the Tikka but it has been close, so I imagine there will be some model of scope that may require it.
Accuracy is good out of the box, with groups tightening up quickly as it breaks in.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The tikka trigger is easily adjusted and if you want it under 2lbs just pull the action from the stock, remove the grub screw and spring, clip, 2 coils and reinstall and make sure it’s bump safe. My ctr trigger is 16-18oz doing that.

My last Tikka was an absolute turd right out of the box. I shot quite a few combos and couldn’t get anything under 1.5” with most groups being 2” or so. I checked the lugs and one had maybe 20% contact and the other was 0. After lapping with valve grinding compound it shoots like the others I have now, which is excellent.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I wouldn't be scared of any Tikka myself, a 1-8 243 would work great in the T3X since you can load stuff out fairly long with the M+ magazines.

Semper Fi
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Noticed recently that Remington is putting 8” twist barrels on their 243s now too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love my ember t3x 8 twist 243. I would go somewhere to purchase as opposed to ordering. When I went to buy mine. They had 10twist and 8 twist. Both same sku numbers. I would not have been happy if I ordered an 8 an received a 10.

Think i need a bigger gun
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
After 5 Tikkers I'd say you're good with that choice. I'm waiting for a 6mm creed or a 22 creed.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
TTT

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have the rough tech in a 308, and its a shooter. Shoots about 3/4"-1" 5 shot group with 155 scenars. I like the texture of the stock, and the trigger is quite good too. I also shoot a custom fast twist 243 with a 8 twist barrel. It shoots lights out, and is a laser in the wind with 105 Berger hybrids. If you get the fast twist tikka in 243 you will really like it. As an aside, I think the 6 creedmoore is a better design, but I'm not sure if tikka makes this in the rough tech. The velocity in the fast twist 243, and the 6 cm are pretty close with the 105s, so there isn't much of an issue there.

IC B3

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Atse,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I have copied the model number for a Tikka T3x Lite Roughtech in .243 with an 8 twist, right from their website. My dealer is going nuts!! No one has an 8 twist-lots of 10 twists but no 8s. I've got 2 Ruger No.1 rifles in .243-10 twist already. one is a 1a sporter and the other is an RSI.
Dealer can't seem to find an 8 twist anywhere. I'm in Southern New Jersey but my ffl can order from anywhere.
If you hear of anyplace please let me know.
Bill

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Noticed recently that Remington is putting 8” twist barrels on their 243s now too.

Do they make it in .244 ? cry

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.