Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
orphaned calf caribou at 15-20 feet in heavy fog. mom was a gut pile ( someone else) 30 yards to my right. we had 3 people and 6 permits, so i burned one. calf would almost surely not survived anyway - quicker this way. It was making funny little noises, searching for mom.

A friend was sitting on a ridgetop rock one year when he saw a cow caribou coming toward him, rifle across his lap. He sat real still and when she passed in front of the muzzle with about 3 feet separation he squeezed the trigger.

I have taken a moose, a deer. and a ram all within 20 yards as well.

Last edited by las; 03/14/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I remember a few right under my tree stand, 10ft? Archery, I took my first at 30ft and my second buck at 21ft. I had one buck walk right up to me, 6ft, while I was standing very still (camoed up) and when I moved my bow, ever so slightly, he jumped 6ft in the air and turned inside out (it seemed)! ha Ran off blowing to beat the band.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Archery—about 10 yds. My very first big game critter. 45# Ben Pearson recurve, 1971.

Rifle—30 yds, second biggest buck I’ve ever killed.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
In Arizona, my closest was my 2022 coues at 138 yards.

In Texas, I head shot some does inside of 50.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The closest was a doe at around 5 feet. I was a stander on a drive through the laurels. I had a little opening where 2 trails crossed about 10 yards from me. Well, I heard the deer coming and caught a few flashes of brown, I aimed the Model 19 at the opening, and she popped out about 5 feet away instead of on the trails. She looked at me and caught a 158-grain soft point between the eyes.

I killed a doe once with the bow at 3 yards from the base of a tree. I was only up maybe 10 feet in an old Baker climbing stand. Also, a 3-point back in the day at 5 yards from the same Baker.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Not quite sure but could have stuck her head in pop up shooting tent if she wanted too. 380 Matrix bulldog crossbow

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
15-20 feet at a flat out sideways run.
Been as close at 10 feet watching a couple of spike bucks that walked towards me and stopped when they realized I just didn't look like I belonged there.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
my crossbow numbers.

Shortest - 5 yards
Longest - about 50 yards done with a 270fps Excal
Average - 15 yards

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Several that were almost straight down under my tree stands. Probably 3-4 yards or so. One on the ground with a rifle at maybe 6-7 yards.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My closest kill was when I was 16 and I used a home made thrusting spear. I stabbed a mule deer and it died, but I got hurt. My dad was not sympathetic either and heaped some sarcasm on me and that made the whole thing hurt more.
My closest shot on a deer was with a 270 at about 8 feet. (a 270 works better then a spear and I didn't get hurt at all that time)

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Closest kill was maybe one yard from me, but only about 12 to 18 inches off the muzzle of my rifle, a Ruger 77RL in .250-3000 shooting a handloaded 100gr TSX at about 2790 fps. Wildlife biologist acquaintance of mine had told me that at the beginning of or during the rut, if you could find some fresh scrapes, still being used and freshened by a buck, you could urinate in them and the buck would think that another buck was doing it and would come looking for you. But, only do this when stand hunting off the ground, from a tree stand or shooting house.

Getting a late start on opening morning, just at daylight, I was easing along quietly, walking to my ladder stand along a deer trail that followed the top of a creek bank. About 90 yards along the trail, I found a very fresh scrape, so I stopped and urinated in it a little. I was very familiar with that area and knew if there was one scrape, there would be two to four more before I got to my stand. I traveled about 40 more yards and found another, so I urinated in that one some. About 35 more yards and there was another one, and my stand was only about another 35 yards further on, so I was in the process of urinating in that one when I heard a buck grunting loudly to my right. I looked and coming at me on the trail was a good sized buck and he was pi$$ed off at my pi$$ing in his scrapes. He dropped his head and full-on charged me, antlers aimed right at my lower abdomen. I barely had time to get my rifle off my shoulder, pivot and try to jump to the right, and fire from the hip as I spun.

At the shot, the buck reared up, grazing my coat with its left antler, fell backwards and sideways, falling about 8 feet over the edge of the creek bank, then ran about 40 yards headlong into thick brush and died. I was left shaking like a dog pooping peach pits and it took me a bit to regain my composure. The buck was a young ten-point and weighed about 280 lbs. The bullet entered the buck's chest but there was no exit wound. There was about a 5 inch diameter spot on his chest where all of the hair was gone, with the entrance wound right in the middle, from the muzzle blast. There was no exit wound and I looked for the bullet, but couldn't find it when dressing the deer.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
5’

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I took a very nice 8 point buck about 6 years ago from approx. 10 yards. I was in a ground blind and he was hot on the trail of a doe...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I shot a black buck antelope at 50 yds, broadside with a .257WBY and Swift Accu-Bomb bullets. I call them Accu-Bomb, because it never exited and was found under the off-side hide. The hydrostatic shock must have been something, because the inside of that antelope was pure liquid mush from stem to stern. Worst animal I've ever cleaned. I think I gagged the whole time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About 12 feet. whitetail doe in a mesquite thicket

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a combination license and was elk hunting when a mule deer buck presented himself @ 30yds.. A 275gr. bullet from my .338WM behind his ear instantly lobotomized him, didn't even blink just went straight down. There was a fist sized hole in the opposite side of his skull and the cranium was completely devoid of brain tissue. Hit a whitetail doe just below the spine with a 12ga. slug, she acted as though she had been struck by lightning.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Three paces. So about eight to nine feet. An average eight point hot on a doe. I had to yell at him three times to get him to stop and look at me. Spun around in a circle and fell over dead. 6.5 manbun 143 gr Hornady ELDX factory ammunition.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Lots of up close shots with arrow and rifle/shotgun both. The one that still stands out to me was in Moran, MI in 1989 or so.He walked straight at me with head down.Stopped a just a few feet away and picked his head up, looked right at me and turned quartering away and just stood there.
Nice 8 point
Pre (rifle) treestand days
Man I loved those days

Lotsa close encounters with sleepy deer in corn on windy days too. Fennville,Zeeland,Coopersville,Ravenna Michigan.
Grand River Marsh as well.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This buck was the third one I had shot and was at 5-6 yards. Spotted him earlier and cranked up the scope to 9x then got out ahead of him in the pickup. Was working along an overgrown creek bank when he moved into a small opening. Raised my gun up and only saw a patch of fur but I felt that I was on his shoulder so I fired. 30-06 with a 165 grain Corelock and the whole right shoulder came off with the hide when I peeled him.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Boy I remember that like it was yesterday. Out hunting up behind Lakeside, Montana when I was stationed there and shot a deer at about 30 yds, maybe a little less. Problem was I was using my 338 Win Mag and a 225 gr Hornady bullet. Gutted and damn near halved the thing with one shot! It does reach a point where you can use much more than needed energy! never ever shot another deer with that rifle!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (12344mag, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17Hunter, 72 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,983
Posts18,480,914
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.