Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have been kicking around the idea of a suppressor for a few years and am likely to purchase one in the next couple weeks. It will be used most often on a Buckmark with Tacsol barrel, I will probably have my Ruger 77/22 threaded at some point as well.

I have been researching the Rugged Mustang or Oculus vs a Q Erector vs a Dead Air Mask. I have shot a suppressed 22 a little bit and recall the first round pop being an annoyance (don't recall the brand of suppressor) and would like to purchase a suppressor that minimizes that. Longevity and ease of use/cleaning are my other priorities.

Looking for advice based any experience with those products or others that should be considered.

Thank you.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My only experience concerns the Dead Air Mask, which I purchased mainly due to the reviews stating that FRP was minimal. It does indeed seem to keep FRP pretty low and I'm pleased with the can overall. I'd likely buy it again. Bulk Automatch ammo from WalMart is subsonic in my S&W Victor. My 10/22 and Anschutz get CCI Standard Vel or the CCI HP Suppressor loads. Very pleasant.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Member
Online Sleepy
Campfire Member
+1 on the DA Mask. I also have the AAC Element 2 which is an early design but still works great.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Baby bottle nipples always worked good for me…..though only good for about 2 or 3 shoots, and long range accuracy is severely hindered! Cheaper by the dozen on Amazon! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the Mask

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I ordered a Tbac takedown .22 a couple weeks ago from Mile High Shooting.

When it gets to my range/ffl, I’ll post first impressions……

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tbac takedown is a solid option. Works great for both rifle and pistol. Tradeoff is that it weighs a little more but it will last.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by tcp
I have been researching the Rugged Mustang or Oculus vs a Q Erector vs a Dead Air Mask. I have shot a suppressed 22 a little bit and recall the first round pop being an annoyance (don't recall the brand of suppressor) and would like to purchase a suppressor that minimizes that. Longevity and ease of use/cleaning are my other priorities.

Looking for advice based any experience with those products or others that should be considered.

I have three rimfire suppressors: Dead Air Mask, TBAC Takedown 22, and Surefire Ryder 22A. The Mask and 22 Takedown are pretty evenly matched in weight, performance, and minimal first-round pop. The Thunder Beast seems a little quieter on a pistol, but I don't have any scientific data to back it up. It just seems that way to me and my ears.

My Surefire Ryder is an older model with aluminum baffles. It's super lightweight, which is nice, but the aluminum baffles are an absolute PIA to clean. I would avoid the Rugged Mustang for this reason - it has aluminums baffles. I would stick to the rimfire suppressor models with stainless and titanium construction.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a dead air mask and thinking about a second. It is Hollywood silent and a blast to shoot. I have shot others but nothing seems to meet it. I shoot it on a 502 tactical and ar15 dedicated pistol and rifle. All do amazing! I would go with that.

IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was told that the old school baffle type suppressors have the least first round pop vs the newer mono core types.

That said, the blast baffle cracked in my GemTech and sent it off for repair. Evidently they no longer use the aluminum baffles and are replacing mine with the mono core. At the cost of $269, I'm gonna find out if there is a difference if they ever get it back to me. How long does it take to dump the old baffles out and screw in the new system? I do not recommend GemTech after this mess.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 22 takedown and its been a great little can.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Outback IID is the one I have. I’m not sure what caused the blast baffle to crack but they didn’t even price me a new blast baffle.

Owned by S&W and on par with the service I’ve had with them too.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
The TBAC will ride on a T1X. It’s the 20”. If I feel the need, I may get it chopped/rethreaded.

I’m gonna trip my MKIII target and grab a .22/45 Lite, put my Holosun and the TBAC on it as well. Can’t imagine that combo not being an absolute ball…..

T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for all the replies. FWIW I choose a Griffin Armament Checkmate HD. Griffin has been excellent in terms of customer service by phone and I looked at one in person and the quality appeared excellent.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I held both the Silencerco Sparrow and Dead Air Mask in my hand before purchasing. I ended up going with the Sparrow due to familiarity with Silencerco products. The sparrow has been good but in hindsight, I should have taken the Mask. From what I understand, it is easier to maintain. Not that the Sparrow is difficult but the Mask is just a more user friendly item. I will get a Mask at some point for what
It’s worth.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
As far as sound performance of the Optimus Micro, it's extremely good. You will find a LOT of rimfire cans that are extremely quiet so 'other features' come into play when making a decision.

Again, I don't like aluminum baffles or whatnot. All of mine have SS baffles. When it's time to clean this makes life a whole lot easier.

I have a Rugged Occulus and I really like that one too. Between the two, the Griffin is quieter on rifles and the Rugged is marginally quieter on pistols. It's not anything insanely 'more or less loud' but you can tell a slight difference.
With subsonic ammo you could shoot those raccoons and they wouldn't even know their buddy next to them just got smoked.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have been pretty happy with the SilencerCo Sparrow but would like to add another 22 can. Agreed about staying away from anything that uses aluminum construction though. FWIW I found a shot of canned air sprayed into the opening reduces FRP.

Last edited by kingstrider; 03/24/24.

Keep moving forward!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sparrow, about to add another rimfire can, was thinking about a mask, but the sparrow has given me zero issues with a pile of rds through it. FRP is pretty noticeable with it, so will likely try a mask.
350rds through it on my 22-45 today
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Little under 20yds with American Eagle. Shoots a lot tighter with Norma Tac.

Last edited by jackmountain; 03/24/24.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had my options narrowed down to the Mask and Sparrow SS. The mask was $100 more from the start. Caught a sale at a local shop and got the Sparrow for almost 200 less then the Mask. It has been good to me and I have no regrets, esp for the cost. Doesn't have first round pop on either my rifles or pistols. Buddy had a gen 1 Sparrow and the pop was noticeable.

Wouldn't mind adding another .22 can eventually. But others are ahead of it in priority. Gotta say, they are a game changer.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 1eyedmule, 51 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,573
Posts18,473,304
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.