Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Hi,
I have a ruger SR1911 .45acp, had it for many years and put hundreds of rounds through it. It has always had small issues with ejecting, not common but they happen. My primers have a raised lip on them, high enough to scratch you. I would like to find someone on the peninsula to check it out, does anyone know of a smith in the area? Maybe someone else has had the issues and fixed it?

My guess is some part of the slide is scraping the primer during ejection, so some sort of timing issues? I do keep it cleaned and lubed, thats not an issue

Any help is appreciated

Last edited by Chez; 03/19/24.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Send it back to Ruger.

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Send it back to Ruger.

I changed out the trigger and springs years ago to try and fix the issue and dont have the original parts

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Are you in Alaska?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
When you say the spent primers have a lip on them. Like around the firing pin indentation...??? That is generally referred to as cratering. Typically caused by excess pressure.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
IC B2

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
Are you in Alaska?

Yes, on the Peninsula

Originally Posted by AGL4now
When you say the spent primers have a lip on them. Like around the firing pin indentation...??? That is generally referred to as cratering. Typically caused by excess pressure.

Imagine sweeping your finger into some peanut butter, as you pull it out you will leave a ridge, that what I have. Its not all around, just one little portion. And its not every round but most of them. The rest of the primer is smooth but not flattened as if it was over pressured.

Over the years I've shot tens of thousands of rounds from many calibers and this is the only time I've seen this. I'll try to put some pics up

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Or as often too large of a firing pin hole rather than pressure.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Send it back to Ruger.

Always send it back first. Most good companys will pay for everything, including shipping.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you using factory ammo or reloads? Just wondering if a different primer would make a difference?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Send it back to Ruger.
Be aware that Ruger will replace any parts that have been altered or are not Ruger factory parts. This includes a trigger on a GP100 that had the edges of the trigger face rounded over a bit because the edges wore a hole in my finger.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You may want to contact Andy Hawk here in Anchorage. I haven't personally used his services and I don't know if he works on pistols. His name is frequently recommended when folks are looking for a local gunsmith. He may be the best semi-local option.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Agree about sending it back, wondering is the face of the bolt/slide smooth.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Or as often too large of a firing pin hole rather than pressure.
Yup!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have pics but they are too big and won't load. I dont know how to make adjustments on my iPhone. What are the other options?

EDIT - I resized and got most to load, see below

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Are you using factory ammo or reloads? Just wondering if a different primer would make a difference?

Reloads but I dont have issues with any other firearms, just this one

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Hope the pics about give you a better idea of what I'm dealing with

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's gnarly!

You might have better luck on the handguns forum.
Down a few floors.

A bunch of guys there have been putting with 1911s for decades.
A few professional smith's are there also.
I'd bet it's an easy fix, if you knew what and how, they will guide you.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thinking about this. You reckon the firing pin spring isn’t retracting the firing pin quick enough such that it digs into the primer as the action opens and the barrel drops down?

And is the firing pin rough or smooth?

Just a thought.

DF

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
That's gnarly!

You might have better luck on the handguns forum.
Down a few floors.

A bunch of guys there have been putting with 1911s for decades.
A few professional smith's are there also.
I'd bet it's an easy fix, if you knew what and how, they will guide you.

Maybe one of the mods can move the thread for me?

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Thinking about this. You reckon the firing pin spring isn’t retracting the firing pin quick enough such that it digs into the primer as the action opens and the barrel drops down?

And is the firing pin rough or smooth?

Just a thought.

DF

The area with the spring is clean but maybe the spring is faulty, good call!!

Now how do I check it?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I’d get an aftermarket stronger firing pin spring.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
And I’d polish the firing pin tip.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree about the firing pin spring. If the firing pin tip doesn't look smoothly rounded it might be best to get a new one. If you haven't changed the recoil spring for a while I'd also get a new one of those in addition to the firing pin spring. Total cost is probably less than $20 for Wolff springs and maybe $15 for a firing pin.

These new parts might not solve the issue, but it's a simple and cheap first step that eliminates a bunch of possible problems.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree that’s where I’d start. May or may not solve the problem. It’s worth a try.

Firing pin spring at Midway is $4.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Googling the issue seems to beg of new springs for recoil and firing pin as fairly common solution. Bent firing pin tip also could be. And could be deeper too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I started looking for new pin and spring, what a rabbit hole that turned into!! Multiple diameters and materials I don’t know where to start. I’ll check out wolf soon

I’ll also polish my current pin and see what that does.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Chez
I started looking for new pin and spring, what a rabbit hole that turned into!! Multiple diameters and materials I don’t know where to start. I’ll check out wolf soon

I’ll also polish my current pin and see what that does.
Never handled the Ruger.

Assuming it’s a std 1911, using std 1911 parts.

A call to Ruger may be in order.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If it's the original pin, I would look into one of the Wilson Combat titanium firing pins, along with a new spring. Good luck!

Last edited by Bogtrotter; 03/20/24.
C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
If it's the original pin, I would look into one of the Wilson Combat titanium firing pins, along with a new spring. Good luck!

I've read confusing things about the titanium springs, some good some bad. My guess is your experience has been positive

EDIT - I meant titanium pins

Last edited by Chez; 03/20/24.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Did some Google research. Seems the SR 1911 uses a Swartz firing pin safety, like the Kimber and S&W. There is some criticism on this system. The grip safety has to be compressed for a lever to raise the firing pin block so the gun can fire.

There's not any mention of it keeping the firing pin projected too long. The SR also has a light weight titanium firing pin and a strong firing pin spring.

Some advocate replacing that system with a Colt Series 70 firing pin. I don't know about that, reportedly it's one option.

Given the more involved Swartz system, I think I'd call Ruger, maybe even send it back, especially if the new springs didn't work.

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Has anyone been firing a lot of +P ammo in it? Ruger uses MEM manufacturing to keep the price down. And there seems to be a lot of people with that same weapon with the same problems. Though thats the first I've seen with the case that screwed up. Don't think its an ejection problem. Send it back to Ruger with the brass and photos.

Phil

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Has anyone been firing a lot of +P ammo in it? Ruger uses MEM manufacturing to keep the price down. And there seems to be a lot of people with that same weapon with the same problems. Though thats the first I've seen with the case that screwed up. Don't think its an ejection problem. Send it back to Ruger with the brass and photos.

Phil
I'm not an MIM fan, although proponents say it's as strong as cast or milled steel. I'm not so sure.

And, I'm not sure what MIM part failed, to produce the OP's issue. And I agree with you; I've never seen that before.

To me the best explanation is the firing pin staying out too long, gouging the primer as the barrel drops down, unlocking the action. It seems the primer is scooped out by the protruding firing pin. I bet the scooped out part is at 12:00, at the top of the round. May be hard to prove that after the empty case has been ejected.

To the OP, let us know what you find and how you fix it.

Curious.

DF

Edited to add, what if the OP marked the round with a magic marker, chambered the round, positioning the mark at 12:00, fired the round and observed if the gouged out part corresponds to the 12:00 mark. Bet it does.

That would be good info for Ruger to know. I'd like to know that, too.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/20/24.
C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C

Phil
I'm not an MIM fan, although proponents say it's as strong as cast or milled steel. I'm not so sure.

And, I'm not sure what MIM part failed, to produce the OP's issue. And I agree with you; I've never seen that before.

To me the best explanation is the firing pin staying out too long, gouging the primer as the barrel drops down, unlocking the action. It seems the primer is scooped out by the protruding firing pin. I bet the scooped out part is at 12:00, at the top of the round. May be hard to prove that after the empty case has been ejected.

Curious.

DF

Edited to add, what if the OP marked the round with a magic marker, chambered the round, positioning the mark at 12:00, fired the round and observed if the gouged out part corresponds to the 12:00 mark. Bet it does.

What is MIM or MEM?

I thought about marking the case and its a good idea, I'll polish today and get out to shoot again early next week

Last edited by Chez; 03/20/24.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Phil

Curious.

DF

What is MIM or MEM?

I thought about marking the case and its a good idea, I'll polish today and get out to shoot again early next week
Metal Injection Molding (MIM) is a newer process of making small metal parts. Google for better explanation.

Reported to be as strong as milled/cast, I’ve had MIM parts break. I’m not that impressed.

Not sure MIM failure caused your issue. Not sure how many MIM parts Ruger uses and in the SR 1911.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Did some Google research. Seems the SR 1911 uses a Swartz firing pin safety, like the Kimber and S&W. There is some criticism on this system. The grip safety has to be compressed for a lever to raise the firing pin block so the gun can fire.

There's not any mention of it keeping the firing pin projected too long. The SR also has a light weight titanium firing pin and a strong firing pin spring.

Some advocate replacing that system with a Colt Series 70 firing pin. I don't know about that, reportedly it's one option.

Given the more involved Swartz system, I think I'd call Ruger, maybe even send it back, especially if the new springs didn't work.

DF
I have two Ruger SR's and neither is a shwartz set-up, both are standard series 70.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF
I have two Ruger SR's and neither is a shwartz set-up, both are standard series 70.
That would good news if it was mine.

For OP, I’d check to see if it’s Swartz or 70 type.

My check off list would be firing pin not retracting. I’d look at the firing pin spring, check firing pin for slick and smooth and freely moving back and forth.

If Swartz safety, I may send it back. Don’t know much about that, never examined one.

If some Swartz and some 70, wonder if they changed and if so, when. Wish I knew more about the Swartz.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ruger use's mim disconnectors and sears, I replaced both of mine.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sear is part#1 disconnector is #2 trigger bow is#3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bogtrotter, if SR 1911’s are reportedly Swartz and can retrofitted with a 70 firing pin, were your two converted or 70 type from Ruger.

DF

Edited to note you answered my question before I posted it, while I was writing it,

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/20/24.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Can you see any MIM failure from that system that would jam the firing pin in extended position?

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Correct Metal Injection Molding (MIM). The only 1911 I have now is a S&W stainless 1911, never had a problem with it. Came with two mags, but you can't ever find them for sale anywhere. I purchased a few Wilson Combat 47D mags a while back but have never tried them out yet. For lube I use a stainless anti-static grease type stuff Sinclair came out with a few years back. Just a little tube but seems to last forever. Just message a little into the metal and reassemble.

Phil

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I’m still a bit confused how the Swartz system works.

Reportedly it has a structure that attaches to the grip safety and when the grip safety is compressed it moves the firing pin block to allow the firing pin to advance.

That’s apparently separate from the disconnector and sear.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Correct Metal Injection Molding (MIM). The only 1911 I have now is a S&W stainless 1911, never had a problem with it. Came with two mags, but you can't ever find them for sale anywhere. I purchased a few Wilson Combat 47D mags a while back but have never tried them out yet. For lube I use a stainless anti-static grease type stuff Sinclair came out with a few years back. Just a little tube but seems to last forever. Just message a little into the metal and reassemble.

Phil
Read where S&W 1911 is Swartz. Not sure how many MIM parts S&W uses in these guns.

What’s your experience with that system?

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've read confusing things about the titanium springs, some good some bad. My guess is your experience has been positive

They are OEM for several manufacturers.
Pretty sure Springfield uses them.

I think most series 70 guns of current manufacture

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

They are OEM for several manufacturers.
Pretty sure Springfield uses them.

I think most series 70 guns of current manufacture
The springfield I had was not, and neither is my brother in law's. Haven't had a new S&W aprt so I couldn't say one way or another I worked on 1911's for 30 years mainly trigger jobs.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I prefer my single action 44 mag... I saved those photos and enlarged them. Don't see how anything could cause that mess. The first photo doesn't show the primer as having been pierced. The second photo though when enlarged does show what looks like a straight gouged tool mark. Don't see what could have caused that. Wondering if somehow that cartridge had two primers installed.

Phil

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
GG, don’t think you could seat two primers.

OP’s primers don’t look like a pressure thing. The primer looks gouged. Only thing that could do that, from my thinking, would be the firing pin.

And how could it do that if the firing pin spring had retracted it after the hit. Seems it would have to be jammed fully extended or somehow not retracted quick enough.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Can you see any MIM failure from that system that would jam the firing pin in extended position?

DF
Not from just being a mim part, but if it was me I'd like to se the disconector, pin and do compression test on the firing pin spring.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Phil

Curious.

DF

MIM. Junk as far as I"m concerned. Its said its good. I"ve not been impressed. Make the part cheaper. Sell the gun for more.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Primer Smear... have been searching on this for a couple days now without much firm descriptions or fixes. But anyhow this is as close as anything else...

Link

Seems like all agree it's caused by a weak ejector or firing pin spring. Or a not so good slide fit.

Primer Smear, I must admit, I've seen some off-center firing pin strikes, but nothing like this Ruger where it looks like it tried to spoon out the primer.

I'm still thinking a lot of +P ammo having been run through it.

Phil

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
GG,

Glad you came up with the appropriate terminology.

DF

Edited to add, good stuff on your link. Hammer spring too strong, unlocking barrel/slide timing, firing pin spring strength, firing pin moving freely in slide, action spring strength. Lots of variables. Good detective work by a persistent sleuth may be called for.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/21/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I converted an SR1911 to .45 Super, and one of the "problems" that immediately surfaced was primers that appeared to have been sheared by the firing pin hole.

Same load, different FP and spring
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I saw that the primer was flowing back into firing pin hole, so weighed the firing pin. It was significantly lighter than a steel FP, so I replaced it with Wilson "bulletproof" pin and an extra strength spring. Problem was solved. A little more tweaking of mainspring weight and primers appeared normal. Pressure was not excessive, velocity is in order for a .45 Super, and ejection is about 6 to 8 feet, less with a comp.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Maybe “primer smear” is more common than previously discussed and documented.

Reckon there’s a simple solution or are we looking at a bigger, more complicated timing issue?

DF

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I polished the firing pin and replace the slide spring with the lightest one I had. I hope that works and won't get to shoot it till next week sometime

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I polished the firing pin and replace the slide spring with the lightest one I had. I hope that works and won't get to shoot it till next week sometime
I’m trying to figure how a lighter action spring is gonna help. Looks like quicker unlocking slide/barrel would make primer smear worse.

What’s your thinking on that?

DF

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I’m trying to figure how a lighter action spring is gonna help. Looks like quicker unlocking slide/barrel would make primer smear worse.

DF

With a lighter spring the slide will move rearward with less resistance, quicker.

When the hammer is dropped, the pin will be forced forward, striking the primer. The pin will retract because of its spring (I will get a heavier one if this doesn’t work) and the slide will be pushed back from the force of the ignition.

With a lighter spring in the slide it will take less pressure to be forced reward which means it will be moving faster

The ignition is slightly under my control but my reloads are midrange and I don’t plan on changing that part of the equation.

I’m not a smith, did I miss something? I’m using what I have on hand and still looking for another pin spring combo just in case this does not work

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Look forward to your follow up report.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

DF

With a lighter spring the slide will move rearward with less resistance, quicker.

When the hammer is dropped, the pin will be forced forward, striking the primer. The pin will retract because of its spring (I will get a heavier one if this doesn’t work) and the slide will be pushed back from the force of the ignition.

With a lighter spring in the slide it will take less pressure to be forced reward which means it will be moving faster

The ignition is slightly under my control but my reloads are midrange and I don’t plan on changing that part of the equation.

I’m not a smith, did I miss something? I’m using what I have on hand and still looking for another pin spring combo just in case this does not work

Too light of a recoil spring does allow the slide to move faster, but it can beat the begeezes out of the frame.

Swifty
C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Swifty52

DF

Too light of a recoil spring does allow the slide to move faster, but it can beat the begeezes out of the frame.

If it works I will experiment with heavier springs until the issue returns

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Look forward to your follow up report.

DF

Yeah me too.

It’ll be about 5 days till I get back to the range so I have that much time to toss ideas around

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Recoil buffer may help protect the frame.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would also check the bolt face, make sure it is square to the bolt.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bolt face square with the bolt?

1911?

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never seen a primer ripped like that before. Are those factory rounds or reloads ?? I'm thinking the spring to the firing pin is weak and not pulling the pin out of the way as it's ejecting.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

DF

The most effective way to control unlocking on a 1911 will be to increase the mainspring (Hammer spring) weight and use a Flat firing pin stop. This increases the mechanical advantage the hammer will have over the slide, keeping it in a locked position for a few additional milliseconds, allowing pressure to drop to a safe level. This will reduce slide velocity and frame battering. A heavy recoil spring will just slam the slide shut harder, maybe causing lug battering. Muzzle dip can also occur from a too-robust closing slide, then accuracy will also suffer. Recoil springs in a 1911 have minimal impact on unlocking.

The primer swipe you're seeing is caused by the very light firing pin allowing the primer cup to be extruded into the firing pin hole by pressure before the slide has unlocked, then the link begins swinging the barrel down, shearing the extruded portion. A steel firing pin resists this by virtue of weight and the increased resistance to inertia from the primer cup being pushed back by pressure. The extra strength Firing pin spring will decrease the possibility of a "slam-fire" if the pistol is dropped on its muzzle.

Last edited by Vic_in_Va; 03/21/24. Reason: clarification
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Your firing pin is not retracting fast enough. First, take a 1/8" punch and press the the firing pin in from the rear with the slide locked back. It should move freely with no drag. Maybe a bent pin, broken spring, or safety is dragging, maybe just some crud in there. If it's al free, put a heaver FP spring in it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bingo!

And, *I* would replace the titanium pin, but that's just me, some people like them.

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

DF

The most effective way to control unlocking on a 1911 will be to increase the mainspring (Hammer spring) weight and use a Flat firing pin stop. This increases the mechanical advantage the hammer will have over the slide, keeping it in a locked position for a few additional milliseconds, allowing pressure to drop to a safe level. This will reduce slide velocity and frame battering. A heavy recoil spring will just slam the slide shut harder, maybe causing lug battering. Muzzle dip can also occur from a too-robust closing slide, then accuracy will also suffer. Recoil springs in a 1911 have minimal impact on unlocking.

The primer swipe you're seeing is caused by the very light firing pin allowing the primer cup to be extruded into the firing pin hole by pressure before the slide has unlocked, then the link begins swinging the barrel down, shearing the extruded portion. A steel firing pin resists this by virtue of weight and the increased resistance to inertia from the primer cup being pushed back by pressure. The extra strength Firing pin spring will decrease the possibility of a "slam-fire" if the pistol is dropped on its muzzle.
Originally Posted by kenacp
Your firing pin is not retracting fast enough. First, take a 1/8" punch and press the the firing pin in from the rear with the slide locked back. It should move freely with no drag. Maybe a bent pin, broken spring, or safety is dragging, maybe just some crud in there. If it's al free, put a heaver FP spring in it.

I had the flat pin stop in and just replaced with the rounded one after I started this thread. I'll keep it handy at the range and swap again if needed. I also have some buffers I can put in.

I'm ordering the wilson bullet proof pin and spring to match, worst case scenario I have spare parts

EDIT - Wilson wants $30 to ship one pin and one spring up to Alaska, I'll need to call them in the morning and see if they can adjust that for me...

Last edited by Chez; 03/21/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hope it works out.

Something I just thought of, have you changed primers, possibly to one of softer material?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Vic in VA has it figured out, I think. Pay close attention to him, he's schmart!

I would also check the diameter of the firing pin, as oversized firing pin holes exist, and an oversized firing pin is the only way to mitigate that. They DO make them. I have changed out ALL my titanium firing pins for steel, too, I don't like them. Everyone went to titanium to avoid having to go "Series '80", so they can pass drop tests.
That's all a load of crap, steel is the way to go.

Here's some to choose from, I've no doubt other peddlers have their own versions.
https://egwguns.com/1911-parts/slide-parts/

Last edited by ratsmacker; 03/22/24.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Hope it works out.

Something I just thought of, have you changed primers, possibly to one of softer material?

I use a variety of name brand primers, all of them were purchased in the 90's

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

1911?

DF
Brain fart, fueled by a few to many rum and cokes. I was thinking of a problem I had with one of my rifles years ago.

Last edited by Bogtrotter; 03/22/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Is a rum-fueled BF a bad thing? grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not in my world, but at my age they're liable to turn into brain diareaha!

Last edited by Bogtrotter; 03/22/24.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

1911?

DF
Brain fart, fueled by a few to many rum and cokes. I was thinking of a problem I had with one of my rifles years ago.

You did that just to make some of us old farts feel better about ourselves.

Ha! And thanks.

DF

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I went to the range today and shot about 80 rounds with the lighter slide spring. The lip was less pronounced which is a good thing but problem not solved yet. My replacement heavier pin and spring is in the mail since saturday and should be here whenever usps feels like getting it to me....

I did mark the cases prior to shooting and the lip is at the 12:00 position, does that mean anything?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Figured it’d be at 12:00, on top which is about the only place it could be as the barrel unlocks and drops down before firing pen can retract.

Google firing pin stop plate and how different ones can affect slide opening and timing.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/26/24.
C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Figured it’d be at 12:00, on top which is about the only place it could be as the barrel unlocks and drops down before firing pen can retract.

Google firing pin stop plate and how different ones can affect slide opening and timing.

DF

I had the rounded stop plate in there this trip. Previously I had the flat one

I just remembered I have buffers but forgot to put them in, I dont know if it would have made a difference in a commander though

Last edited by Chez; 03/26/24.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Could you tell any difference, round vs flat stop plates?

DF

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Could you tell any difference, round vs flat stop plates?

DF

I didnt test them side by side but on the second test with the lighter springs, the primers had less of a scoop.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That gun have a titanium firing pin?

DF

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C

DF

I dont know what it is? The new one will be in this evening, I'll weigh them and maybe see a big difference

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

DF

I dont know what it is? The new one will be in this evening, I'll weigh them and maybe see a big difference

https://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911CommanderStyle/models.html

Skeletonized hammer and titanium firing pin for faster lock time.

Swifty
C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Right away I noticed the new pin is shorter, I didnt measure it.

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The new pin and spring worked perfectly!! The old pin is about 3/16" longer than the new one, I think I may trim some off and try it again to see what happens

Now on a few rounds the slide will not go into battery, stops about 1/4" or so short and take some pushing to get it to go. Sometimes I remove the mag put the round back in and rack the slide, this works fine on the round that just jammed up. It does this with all magazines. I'm thinking something needs to be polished? Anyone have ideas??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The new pin and spring worked perfectly!! The old pin is about 3/16" longer than the new one, I think I may trim some off and try it again to see what happens

Now on a few rounds the slide will not go into battery, stops about 1/4" or so short and take some pushing to get it to go. Sometimes I remove the mag put the round back in and rack the slide, this works fine on the round that just jammed up. It does this with all magazines. I'm thinking something needs to be polished? Anyone have ideas??

Go back to the standard recoil spring.

Swifty
C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C

Go back to the standard recoil spring.

I tried 5 springs plus the original, the original was the worst performance with the most jams.

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
No advice for the feeding issues?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (44mc, 35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,420
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.