Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 40 of 64 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 63 64
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There is an aspect to biblical interpretation and both believers an unbelievers should be aware of... that is that ...all.... English language bibles are interpretations from original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek.

An example in Proverbs 1:7 ......... "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction."

The word "fear" is usually best seen as reverent awe and an attitude of honor toward God. The reading of the verse changes when the word "fear" is changed as follows:

"The attitude of awe and of acknowledging the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction."

But wait, there's more!

When we read the word "fool" we usually place out 21st century meaning upon it..... But, the Hebrew word for "fool" in the original is "nabal." The word "nabal" implies someone who is senseless, swith an empahsis on being willingly disobedient....in short, a rebellious attitude.

So, now look at Proverbs 1:7....

"An attitude of awe and of (willful obedience) before the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; The rebel despises wisdom and instruction."

Btw.... "eternal" sometimes means a "very long time." And, "eternal fire" sometimes means the powerful nature of the Word of God...... it can also be seen as the "eternal fire" of God's everlasting judgment.

Knowing that....how would one look at Acts 2:3-8....or Isaiah with the hot coal in his mouth....

"Eternal" and "Fire" are often used ...... symbolically.

Anyway I'm off to take a grandson fishing.....later... or tomorrow.....

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RHOD
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
The probability of the universe existing, the probability of it existing and being so vast, whether by the hand of God or not by the hand of God, is so low that it is close to zero. It is just unbelievable that existence exists - no matter how it came about. Yet we know it does exist. The probability argument and the vastness argument therefore does not swing things in favor of "no god", in fact it swings things in favor of "god". If on the balance of probabilities that god exists, then which god? No one has come up with a better explanation of what constitutes god that what we have in the West.

You can't determine the probability. There may well be infinite universes (multiverses) if which case life is then inevitable.

God is just a pacifier placeholder for the superstitious and solves nothing - you can"t solve a mystery with another mystery.

The probability of the universe existing is 100%.
If you buy a ticket in USA Power Lotto, the chance of winning is one in many million perhaps when you buy the ticket. The fact that you may win, doesn't mean there was a 100% chance of you winning before you have won. The fact that the universe does ultimately exist because of the hand of God or because of something else, doesn't mean that there was 100% probability that it would exist, unless you can find irrefutable evidence that it was always going to be created or always existed, with no possibility of an alternate outcome.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 03/19/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TF49
There is an aspect to biblical interpretation and both believers an unbelievers should be aware of... that is that ...all.... English language bibles are interpretations from original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek.

An example in Proverbs 1:7 ......... "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction."

The word "fear" is usually best seen as reverent awe and an attitude of honor toward God. The reading of the verse changes when the word "fear" is changed as follows:

"The attitude of awe and of acknowledging the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction."

But wait, there's more!

When we read the word "fool" we usually place out 21st century meaning upon it..... But, the Hebrew word for "fool" in the original is "nabal." The word "nabal" implies someone who is senseless, swith an empahsis on being willingly disobedient....in short, a rebellious attitude.

"An attitude of awe and of (willful obedience) before the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; The rebel despises wisdom and instruction."

Btw.... "eternal" sometimes means a "very long time." And, "eternal fire" sometimes means the powerful nature of the Word of God...... it can also be seen as the "eternal fire" of God's everlasting judgment.

Knowing that....how would one look at Acts 2:3-8....or Isaiah with the hot coal in his mouth....

Yes, I mentioned in an earlier post the distortion of the meaning of the Bible due to language changes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

But wait, there's more!

Exactly.

And even the very first words of the Bible have been misinterpreted.

"In a beginning" as written in Hebrew, is often said as "In the beginning". Two totally different meanings. The wrong one implies only one beginning has occurred. The correct one says one of possibly many, or an infinite number. Puts persective on how we might see the creation of this world, or how many times this place might have been created before we came along.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Sometimes the truth is so precious, it has to be protected by a bodyguard of lies.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by KillerBee
The best aspect of being a believer to me is Praying.

I find praying to be the most relaxing and rewarding form of meditation. I believe in the power of prayer and enjoy praying for members here when a prayer is requested.

Nothing wrong with sending Positive and Good Vibes out into the Universe.

cool
Agree entirely KillerBee. I am contemplating praying to God to suggest he make me a Deputy when I go to Heaven, so as to help clear the backlog of souls wanting to get into Heaven caused by the Covid-19 pandemic and the Ukrainian war. It would give God a chance to have a bit more leisure time. I know he will listen to me and not forget. Whether he agrees that it is a good idea is up to Him with His infinite wisdom. But there's a few on this thread that I may not be so lenient with as God may be.

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Feral_American

But wait, there's more!

Exactly.

"In a beginning" as written in Hebrew, is often said as "In the beginning". Two totally different meanings. The wrong one implies only one beginning has occurred. The correct one says one of possibly many, or an infinite number. Puts persective on how we might see the creation of this world, or how many times this place might have been created before we came along.

For an all knowing, all powerful god, he sure does have a lot of problems making himself understood. Maybe he needs to issue an updated, revised edition of his word in a modern language.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

But wait, there's more!

Exactly.

For an all knowing, all powerful god, he sure does have a lot of problems making himself understood. Maybe he needs to issue an updated, revised edition of his word in a modern language.
It is man that has caused the problem by distorting His word when they write it down.

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R

But wait, there's more!

Exactly.

It is man that has caused the problem by distorting His word when they write it down.

So when people say they are following the word of God as presented in the Bible, they are really saying they are following what some people wrote thousands of years ago, with uncertain motivations, in a different language, in a different culture, with a completely different understanding of the universe and all that it contains. I would agree with that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
The probability of the universe existing, the probability of it existing and being so vast, whether by the hand of God or not by the hand of God, is so low that it is close to zero. It is just unbelievable that existence exists - no matter how it came about. Yet we know it does exist. The probability argument and the vastness argument therefore does not swing things in favor of "no god", in fact it swings things in favor of "god". If on the balance of probabilities that god exists, then which god? No one has come up with a better explanation of what constitutes god that what we have in the West.

You can't determine the probability. There may well be infinite universes (multiverses) if which case life is then inevitable.

God is just a pacifier placeholder for the superstitious and solves nothing - you can"t solve a mystery with another mystery.

The probability of the universe existing is 100%.

Reminds me of an old Will Rogers story, he had to "prove" to the census office he was born with a birth certificate. He was born on Indian Territory and did not have a birth certificate...........his comments were something like "well, where I'm from, if a man is standing and talking to you, it's proof he was born" LOL

Last edited by Simplepeddler; 03/19/24.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
I don't. I was raised Catholic because of my Mom, at around age 14 we could make our own decision. Both of my sisters did the same thing. My Father a retired Earth scientist has always been an atheist. My first day in catechism, which I believe was in fourth grade. The teacher started telling the story of Noah's Ark. Even at that age I thought this is a bunch of bullshit! smile My Father never ever influenced me and I didn't know about his beliefs until 16-17 years old. My folks are both 88 and are Highschool sweethearts and have been married 69 years. My Father has always supported her on everything.

I doesn't bother me that People practice religion. It's just extremely upsetting of the devious side of it. Alway's wondered how many members feel the same.

YES

I am just your average Joe.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

But wait, there's more!

Exactly.

So the all powerful God couldn't "inspire" them to get it correct?

Sounds like a weak god.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you guys seen the ad on FOX that says:

Are you Going to Heaven?
Go to Heavenornot.net to Know for sure

This is why I do not participate in Organized Religion. I will pray alone!

I can only imagine what they say on their website.

Deluxe Package $20,000.00 USD: Immediate Access Granted to Heaven and an hour visit with God and Jesus, with no review of your life.

Custom Package $10,000.00 CDN: Access granted guaranteed within 2 years of Death, full review of your live streaming in 4k, so you will see in real colors how you really F'ed up, and 20 minutes with Jesus.

Rube Package $5,000 Peso: Access to Heaven after lingering in Purgatory for 10,000 years. No visit with God or Jesus, and you have to spend 1,000 years 24/7 with each X-WIFE you had on earth.

cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 03/19/24.

KB

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
There's often ambiguity in the written language. Even with such a simple thing as saying the probability of the universe existing is very low. Some people interpret the probability after the event that is improbable, happened. It would be better if mathematics and equations could be used instead of ambiguous words and sentences.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
There's often ambiguity in the written language. Even with such a simple thing as saying the probability of the universe existing is very low. Some people interpret the probability after the event that is improbable, happened. It would be better if mathematics and equations could be used instead of ambiguous words and sentences.

Unfortunately, at this time we only have a sample of one, which is not sufficient for proper statistical analysis.

With no proper analysis we claim the probability of universes forming is low, but what if the opposite is true. What if we do exist in a multiverse, and the conditions of the multiverse are such that the creation of new universes is not a rarity but infinitely common?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Atheists/Satanists always bitch about Christian Holidays & want to eliminate celebration of Christmas & Easter in the US and the entire planet

Their biggest complaint is "They" don't have a Holiday

yes they do ...

The biggest Holiday of all ! celebrated by the entire world, regardless of religious affiliation

April 1st

April Fools Day is a designated Atheist Holiday

Psalm 14 KJV
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Atheists/Satanists always bitch about Christian Holidays & want to eliminate celebration of Christmas & Easter in the US and the entire planet

Their biggest complaint is "They" don't have a Holiday

yes they do ...

The biggest Holiday of all ! celebrated by the entire world, regardless of religious affiliation

April 1st

April Fools Day is a designated Atheist Holiday

Psalm 14 KJV
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

I can only speak for myself, but I like Christmas and Easter.

Who started the tradition of the Campfire Christmas and Easter truces?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by CCCC
I didn't say that you are a fool and haven't heard God say it either - but you are proving the fact here. A fellow can't read what isn't there. So, maybe you could move along with your fool crowd.

Now you're just being dishonest.
There is zero evidence to support that statement (zilch) and even to support such a belief on your part (if you actually do believe it), but you have presented the evidence of your foolishness, and evasiveness when it came to that tough question.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KillerBee
The best aspect of being a believer to me is Praying.

I find praying to be the most relaxing and rewarding form of meditation. I believe in the power of prayer and enjoy praying for members here when a prayer is requested.

Nothing wrong with sending Positive and Good Vibes out into the Universe.

cool
Agree entirely KillerBee. I am contemplating praying to God to suggest he make me a Deputy when I go to Heaven, so as to help clear the backlog of souls wanting to get into Heaven caused by the Covid-19 pandemic and the Ukrainian war. It would give God a chance to have a bit more leisure time. I know he will listen to me and not forget. Whether he agrees that it is a good idea is up to Him with His infinite wisdom. But there's a few on this thread that I may not be so lenient with as God may be.
Lets' hear a brass fanfare for these expressed delusions of grandeur.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I think everyone on this thread should ignore the troll called See-See-See-But-Don't-See. His posts are deliberately provocative, he tries to bait quite a few people on this thread, he posts crap on lots of different threads but never says anything of value. Just ignore his posts and don't respond, that's what I do.

Page 40 of 64 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 63 64

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

173 members (257robertsimp, 348srfun, 338reddog, 1minute, 300_savage, 16penny, 19 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,374
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.