Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Supposedly Walt Berger made the comment if a 243 won't shoot with IMR3031 it won't shoot. I had it on hand and the manuals listed loads. I can see why he made that statement if he really did.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seafire has helped me out more than once with his think & knowledge. Many Thanks

Last edited by mmanincor; 03/19/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When the Nosler 55 gr. Ballistic Tip came out I was in high school and of course I had to get as much velocity out of it as I could. Didn't have a chronograph in those days, but the listed max load of H380 got me 1/2" groups with a M788, so that was the load. The first "reactive" target I ever shot with it was a water-filled coke can balanced on our target stand made out of 3/4" plywood. I centered it at 200 yrds and the aluminum can wrapped around the plywood like it had been custom formed. I was SOLD. I made prairie dogs dance in the air, coyotes look like they were shot with lasers, and made my longest ever witnessed kill with it, measured after the fact at 642 yards, or at least according to a wheel counter. This was before LRF were standard fare in a range bag. I won't mention what was killed, but let's just say it was a predator about the size of a prairie dog. That load shot like a laser from that gun. After I got older and a little smarter I realized that seeing the extractor mark in the case head and having primers fall out was generally a bad thing, so I retired the load. It didn't shoot as well with two less grains of powder, which is where the max load changed to after the first couple of years that the bullet was available. I could barely fit 53 gr. of H380 in the case and seat a bullet, but by God I did it! 51 gr of H380 didn't have the same magic, but I'm also a big fan of my face, ugly as it is, and my fingers are precious to me. Good memories with that load. I probably ran 1000 rounds of it down the original factory barrel, which it still wears and still shoots well. I choose to remain ignorant of what the throat looks like in the barrel.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mmanincor
Seafire has helped me out more than once with his think & knowledge. Many Thanks

You are welcome my friend....glad to be able to help any campfire member out... as many others have certainly helped me out over the last 20 years here....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I really like the 58 gr. Vmax. Minimal penetration and bounces. My talley so far only includes Raccoons but as of yet not one exit and absolutely dead coons. I start them out at a relatively slow 3200 fps but my twist may be a factor. 1-8.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Powder used ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
Taconic....

I probably look at a lot of things differently than other folks usual do. A lot of experiences learned from my medical experiences in the military ( was a highly trained corpsman ), and also doing a lot of testing of bullets working with Boy Scouts as a shooting instructor, something they could shoot comfortably, after Grandpa or Dad gave them one of their old 30/06s etc.

I test bullets at all sorts of speeds with data from Cast Bullet manuals, to how they will perform at high end speed.
Searching and testing the limits of all sorts of bullets, at both ends of the spectrums. Learned a lot of stuff I never expected to see the results, as I saw them. Spent a lot of time around Special Forces guys in my youth, during the Vietnam War, and then later when I was in the service myself. Saw a lot of things outside what people would consider normal parameters.

Lets one know what a bullet will do, depending on what one's needs are. Learned to stretch resources out also. From Brass life, to barrel life. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...

One would be surprised what you can do with something like a 58 VMax or a 55 grain Ballistic Tip in 6mm. Tailor ones velocity to where the bullet performs best within the parameters of the job you are asking it to do. I've been working with a 6 x 45 for example.... Its surprising what that cartridge can do with much less powder than a 243.... yet like anything it has parameters... the 243s parameter mays be wider, but still the 6 X 45 can cover a good percentage of it.

You slow a varmint bullet down enough, it will start to perform like a regular game bullet will, albeit at a lower velocity.
We read on the campfire all the time, of what light bullets at lower velocities, that many folks are easily killing hogs with.
Shot placement matters, and its easily to accomplish when a rifle recoils less, particularly with women and younger shooters. But will work the same for we big macho men also. If that will work on hogs, it will certainly work on deer.

A friend's wife inherited dad's 30/06, which beat the crap out of her. Her husband ask me to come up with a load for it, as I had done for one of his nephews in another caliber. He told me that the parameters were shooting a deer within 100 yds.
10 grains of Unique with a 110 gr SP RN, used in the 30 Carbine., has worked just fine for her.... for the last 10 to 12 seasons.

Figure what you want that 58 V Max to do, at how far. You'd be surprised what it will do out of your 243. Another thing I've found out, is when you use cast bullet loads with pistol and shot gun powder, you'd be surprised how less finicky they can be vs traditional rifle powders.

Best of luck my friend...

Last edited by Ackman; 03/29/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent post

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (17Hunter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,605
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.