Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Private equity company from Florida bought out Starrett..we shall see, but I'm not aware of any company that improved it's quality or reputation when the corporate pirates got done. Lufkin...gone. Brown & Sharpe...gone. Sad.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Private equity company from Florida bought out Starrett..we shall see, but I'm not aware of any company that improved it's quality or reputation when the corporate pirates got done. Lufkin...gone. Brown & Sharpe...gone. Sad.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
This is worse than sad!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 40+ year old Starrett stuff, and it's all been smooth as butter since day one.

My son bought me a new Starrett dial caliper for Christmas because I dropped my old one and busted it.

It's rough as a cob. I think Starrett has already went down the tubes.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It is sad enough that Starrett is going, but even worse is the loss of an entire industry. Hand/mechanical measuring tools are going the way of the Dodo bird. Likewise with American Made machinery. Old machines and old machinists are both destined for extinction. GD

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I started the tool and die trade August 27th 1979 and started buying tools. Most are Starrett and for many years they were top notch. I am still using them to this day on a daily basis in my own shop. There seems to not be a demand for the tools or those of us that have used them for many years.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

That is sad. The odds of Wall Street maintaining or improving quality are indeed slim……

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Machinist and Tool & Die Maker have been dieing trades for several years now. I had 40yrs. in the Tool & Die trade before being riffed during the Obama years, never able to find employment after that. I had a side business selling machinist tool, that too has shown a decline, not as many with home shops as there used to be. The tool business over the years paid for lots of guns and hunting trips, from time to time I help retired guys sell their tools. The interest is nowhere like it used to be.

Last edited by gunswizard; 03/21/24.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

So what? Their crap has been made in China for years now.

Medics bury their mistakes..
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
All of the precision Starrett stuff I have is American made. This does not apply to things like tape measures and chalk lines.. GD

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Most of the precision tools in my Gerstner chests are Starrett, some Brown and Sharpe and a few German and Swiss items. Just like my “under the bench” box with the hammers, files, wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers etc, not a single Asian tool in the bunch, everything is US, German or Swiss. Almost forgot, some Brit try squares.

A sad day if they destroy Starrett.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sorta asking myself, how many in this generation even know how to use such instruments.

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Sorta asking myself, how many in this generation even know how to use such instruments.

DF

Not many
Especially the old vernier tools I have.
Have 2 different dial calipers.
The rest are vernier.
Nothing wrong with the decades-old Mitutoyo
tools I have. They'll work just as well and accurately
as the Starrett or B&S tools, but again, they're older

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DF

Don't even start that.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Ranger99

DF

Not many
Especially the old vernier tools I have.
Have 2 different dial calipers.
The rest are vernier.
Nothing wrong with the decades-old Mitutoyo
tools I have. They'll work just as well and accurately
as the Starrett or B&S tools, but again, they're older
I grew up with a slide rule. Haven’t seen one of those in years.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

DF

A lot more than you might think. I watch a lot of automotive videos, engine building videos, and other media where machinists are involved and they all not only make great use of precision measuring tools but often use new tools I've never seen before. Of course, I wish I had every tool they use, even if I don't need it... wink

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Z
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Z
I have Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, & a few Mitutoyo precision measuring tools that I inherited from my father after he inherited them from my grandfather and they are still right on. When my kids see them they ask me what are these things for?? even after I have told them many times in the past! My grandkids don't even look at them. Too bad you can't use smartphones for precision measurement. The industry would go on and on and on . . . I hear you guys loud and clear.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This buy out will make ebay sales on Starrett tools pretty lively. Starrett made quality for years.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 163bc, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,660
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.