Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bicyclist blames Pedestrian...

A man on a bike hit an 81-year-old woman walking on the Four Mile Run trail, ARLnow reports, and the woman subsequently died of the injuries. Do we need better consensus on how to alert pedestrians to passing cyclists?

The 62-year-old cyclist was heading down a hill and shouted “on your left” to warn the woman. Instead of either moving right or just being alert, she apparently turned around in a way that moved to the left, while exclaiming “what?” The cyclist then struck her, she fell, and her head hit the ground.

Update: ARLnow is now also reporting that the cyclist rang a bell as well as calling out. (and that means the bicyclist has no culpability says our resident vegan bicyclist)

Whether or not this particular cyclist did something wrong, the first rule always must be that people riding bikes need to be careful around pedestrians. Daniel Hoagland, WABA’s Bicycle Ambassador, wrote in an email:
Pedestrians are unpredictable and vulnerable, which is a bad combination (and doesn’t even get into things like pets and children and the mobility-impaired), and bicyclists should be prepared to slow down to whatever speed is necessary to ensure that they can react safely to whatever a pedestrian does.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 03/20/24. Reason: Commentary from Paul "Spandex" Been aide Sauce

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, it doesn't work all the time because lots of people walk on bike trails and have zero situational awareness. So if you're passing them and they don't see you, you need to be able to stop or avoid them. Just like skiing, it's the uphill skier's responsibility to avoid a collision with someone who has their back turned.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting that as a pedestrian I assume I should be the one responsible for me because everything else is bigger than me.

As a rider I get sick and tired of having to do stupid things to avoid bikes and people that should yield the ROW to the larger object.

Common sense never prevails.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does that mean we can hit cyclists as long as we honk our horns first and/or yell?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
She's 81 years old. How far and how fast left could she have moved once she heard "on your left" and the bell?

Why was the cyclist trying to "buzz the tower" so to speak on this old lady?

Me

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Does that mean we can hit cyclists as long as we honk our horns first and/or yell?

LOL !

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I remember an incident where a cyclist hit an older woman- ?Colorado. Four of them believed they should be able to walk 4 abreast and not have to move over for the mountain bikers. The place was ""for them"".

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've had bicyclists nearly run right into me on several occasions while walking my dog. Usually, it was just a narrow escape by my quick action.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Spandex nazis make good targets- - - -just yell and/or honk first!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
No, it doesn't work all the time because lots of people walk on bike trails and have zero situational awareness. So if you're passing them and they don't see you, you need to be able to stop or avoid them. Just like skiing, it's the uphill skier's responsibility to avoid a collision with someone who has their back turned.
This. “Usually” the downhill traveler has the right-of-way. Not always but most commonly.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

With all the runners/walkers with earbuds in anyway listening to music. I bet a bunch wouldn't hear anyone yelling "left"

J
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
J
Walk softly and carry a pike.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Teal
She's 81 years old. How far and how fast left could she have moved once she heard "on your left" and the bell?

What if one has hearing issues?

FJB & FJT
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

My buddy just stomps on his diesel and leaves them in a bunch of black smoke. They hog the roads up here, runners too, they won't even attempt to step off the road.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford

What if one has hearing issues?

There's that too but his saying "on the left" and ringing the bell doesn't absolve him of being negligent in trying to pass her within 2 sheets of paper and thus hitting her.

Just because I honk my horn, doesn't mean I can merge, traffic be damned.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

If they swerve out in front of you when you do, you won't be held responsible assuming that that you are driving responsibly.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I ride a bicycle a lot, but I despise these types who go as fast as possible on public trails trying to be a Strava hero. I ride a rails to trails bike-walking trail at times. I would never hit a walker because I don't ride like an aggressive [bleep] cyclist on those trails.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Typical 81 yr old when “on your left” is yelled

“….huh!! Duhhh….where am I, why I am here….I’m no Jack Kennedy, I like ice cream, our La Salle ran great….

By then….. it’s

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A lot of micro processes have to occur in the oldster’s cob webbed synapses

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

A man on a bike hit an 81-year-old woman walking on the Four Mile Run trail, ARLnow reports, and the woman subsequently died of the injuries. Do we need better consensus on how to alert pedestrians to passing cyclists?

The 62-year-old cyclist was heading down a hill and shouted “on your left” to warn the woman. Instead of either moving right or just being alert, she apparently turned around in a way that moved to the left, while exclaiming “what?” The cyclist then struck her, she fell, and her head hit the ground.

Update: ARLnow is now also reporting that the cyclist rang a bell as well as calling out. (and that means the bicyclist has no culpability says our resident vegan bicyclist)

Whether or not this particular cyclist did something wrong, the first rule always must be that people riding bikes need to be careful around pedestrians. Daniel Hoagland, WABA’s Bicycle Ambassador, wrote in an email:
Pedestrians are unpredictable and vulnerable, which is a bad combination (and doesn’t even get into things like pets and children and the mobility-impaired), and bicyclists should be prepared to slow down to whatever speed is necessary to ensure that they can react safely to whatever a pedestrian does.

The 62 YO selfish azzhole should have braked to walk around the 81 YO woman. He killed her. Hope the womans family civil sues the pedalist.

GOA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This one is very easy for me. When I pass a pedestrian on my bicycle, and I have to do it within close proximity, I pass with minimum speed disparity. I never yell "ON YOUR LEFT." Many don't know what it means. It will confuse or startle some. I will say "I am easing around your left." I most often exchange cordialities as I pass.

LOTS of pedestrians have buds. Pedestrians in parks and on paths tend to have very low situational awareness. They are often in la-la land and in sightseeing mode. Armed with that knowledge, it is incumbent upon me to expect unpredictable behavior. The best mitigating measure for me is passing with minimal speed disparity and communicating when possible.

I have seen pedestrians do remarkably absent minded stuff. Headphones on, walking with the flow of bicycles on a 10 foot wide path, wheel around and do a 180 without so much as a glance over the shoulder. Pedestrians cutting across paths without looking. Pedestrians with dogs on leashes taking up the entire path. One day I watches as an apparently homeless guy was walking on the levee path batture at an angle toward the path. Across the path in the direction he was walking was a street. I suspected he was going to connect to that street. I also saw a guy and gal cyclist riding on the levee path from the pedestrians blind side at a speed that would have them arriving at the same place at the same time. My wife and I were riding behind them. I could see it developing. Had I been the other cyclists, I would have slowed. They didn't and the pedestrian walked right into the path without looking.

Pedestrians do stupid stuff. Cyclists do stupid stuff. Motorists do stupid stuff. Situational awareness and a defensive posture are helpful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bikes are vehicles, and it’s incumbent on the operator to avoid hitting pedestrians. If a cyclist wants to rocket around, they should do it on a road (not mine please!), or a track designed for that. The same thing could easily have happened to a child on a bike or a dog.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Best I can tell, the story you reference happened about a year ago. https://www.insauga.com/81-year-old...illed-by-cyclist-in-niagara-on-the-lake/ Upon further review, it may have been this article from 2012 involving an 80 year old woman. https://www.arlnow.com/2012/06/11/woman-seriously-injured-after-being-hit-by-cyclist/ Such are the woes of trying to interact with the intellectually vapid.

There will never be a consensus on how to pass. That's part of the reason I pass with minimum speed disparity.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Pretty much spot-on. On the sea, the vessel being overtaken is always the "stand-on" vessel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Move the friggin wheels off the highways and walking paths.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW

I looked to see if I could identify this path. It was likely a multi-use path designed for pedestrians and cyclists. It's likely the kind of path that motorists believe cyclists should be relegated to. Now we have a goddam moron shouting that cyclists shouldn't be on the path that was designed and provided for them.

Suck it up buttercup. Cyclists can be in both places no matter how big of a tantrum you throw.

This thread is interesting in that the majority believe that the cyclist is at fault. Almost all believe that due to the vulnerability of the pedestrian, the cyclist has a moral duty to exercise due care. Nobody has suggested that the pedestrian got their due comeuppance for daring to defy the law of gross tonnage with a cyclist. Flighty values are never not funny.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bicycles are very stealthy- just a small amount of wind and walkers will not know you're there.
I ride like Paul- let them know I'm passing them and say hello.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Bicycles are very stealthy- just a small amount of wind and walkers will not know you're there.
I ride like Paul- let them know I'm passing them and say hello.

The Golden Rule never fails.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yep.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If it was the 2012 crash in Arlington at this location "Four Mile Run Bike Path in the area of the 4900 block of Columbia Pike" Google street view will allow you to see and move up and down the path. That is a HORRIBLE place to haul ass on a bicycle. Just horrible.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cyclist is definitely at fault. Had the attitude: "I'm barging through" , heedless of the danger he represented to the old woman, on whose hearing and reflexes he insisted on testing.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

not even this fast.

-OMotS

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We walk our dogs on a local multi-use trial for hikers/bikes/horses and the bikers come out of nowhere and make little effort to slow, mostly if we are really alert we have just enough time to pull our dogs aside and make way for the spandex bunch who have the attitude that they have the right of way, they don't! Before Paul tells me how biased I am, I've bought five bikes from local shops over the last decade but have mostly given up riding due to the azzwipes that fancy it in my city and they dangers of riding on the road. As far as I know, they rules for biking on multi-use trails suggest that they must ride under control and yield to horses and walkers.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Even when jogging, I yell as I approach pedestrians from behind. I don’t want them to curve into my path as they turn their head to check out the sound.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I looked to see if I could identify this path. It was likely a multi-use path designed for pedestrians and cyclists. It's likely the kind of path that motorists believe cyclists should be relegated to. Now we have a goddam moron shouting that cyclists shouldn't be on the path that was designed and provided for them.

Suck it up buttercup. Cyclists can be in both places no matter how big of a tantrum you throw.

This thread is interesting in that the majority believe that the cyclist is at fault. Almost all believe that due to the vulnerability of the pedestrian, the cyclist has a moral duty to exercise due care. Nobody has suggested that the pedestrian got their due comeuppance for daring to defy the law of gross tonnage with a cyclist. Flighty values are never not funny.

This thread is interesting in that the majority believe that the cyclist is at fault - yes, the cyclist is 100% at fault for not controlling their actions and causing loss of life!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
E-Bikes have only made the situation worse. People who could never have achieved 25 mph on a bike (think LBP style) now fly up and down the multiuse trails with reckless abandon.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257Bob

This thread is interesting in that the majority believe that the cyclist is at fault - yes, the cyclist is 100% at fault for not controlling their actions and causing loss of life!

And of course we hold that value set wrt motorists who mow down cyclists, right?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
E-Bikes have only made the situation worse. People who could never have achieved 25 mph on a bike (think LBP style) now fly up and down the multiuse trails with reckless abandon.

Another factor with E-bikes is that many of their operators are those who cannot get a driver's license or are otherwise precluded from operating a motor vehicle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And of course we hold that value set wrt motorists who mow down cyclists, right?

Deflection ALLERT

This thread is about a selfish 62 YO bicyclist that killed a 81 YO woman pedestrian.

GOA
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I took out a lady, her dog, and myself while riding.
I even gave the vaunted “On your Left!” warning.

She stopped, looked over her shoulder and stepped right. The dog bolted left. It was on a leash that was around the woman’s wrist. Total pileup.

My fault 100%.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Are bikes vehicles? In my area we have spent millions on "bike Lanes". Bike rider are governed by the same rode riles on our city streets, but seldom abide by them. With all the money spent to cater to this elite crowd, what the hell are bike riders doing on our walking paths and sidewalks? E Bikes are the worst, old lazy riders speeding in an unsafe speed. These E Bikes and Electric Moto Cross cycles really tear up the unpaved trails.

On there other hand I really do not understand the need for all these "walking trails". Why no go out and walk somewhere with out a path to follow? Sidewalks are on longer safe with bike riders switching form pedestrian to vehicle to fit their need to avoid traffic conditions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another factor with E-bikes is that many of their operators are those who cannot get a driver's license or are otherwise precluded from operating a motor vehicle.

Show proof of that broad assertion.

GOA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

And of course we hold that value set wrt motorists who mow down cyclists, right? - if the motorist is negligent or "at fault" then yes. Most roads in the US were designed for autos, not bikes. Just because the law says you "can" ride on the road doesn't mean you "should"!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We walk our dogs on a local multi-use trial for hikers/bikes/horses and the bikers come out of nowhere and make little effort to slow, mostly if we are really alert we have just enough time to pull our dogs aside and make way for the spandex bunch who have the attitude that they have the right of way, they don't! Before Paul tells me how biased I am, I've bought five bikes from local shops over the last decade but have mostly given up riding due to the azzwipes that fancy it in my city and they dangers of riding on the road. As far as I know, they rules for biking on multi-use trails suggest that they must ride under control and yield to horses and walkers.

The trails I often ride on have signs that say cyclists must yield to pedestrians and horses. That's common sense to me.

When I walk on multi-use paths, I do some things that I wish were standard practices. I walk facing the direction of travel of bicyclists. Most pedestrians don't. When I walk my dog, I keep it toward my edge of the path. Most pedestrians let their dogs walk on the bicyclist side of them. Well, with their backs to the cyclist, the cyclist now has to contend with an oblivious pedestrian and their dog.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

And of course we hold that value set wrt motorists who mow down cyclists, right? - if the motorist is negligent or "at fault" then yes. Most roads in the US were designed for autos, not bikes. Just because the law says you "can" ride on the road doesn't mean you "should"!

Umm, no. They were not designed FOR motorists. They were designed for multi-modal transportation. Period. Laws and signage make this abundantly clear. They were designed with passengers vehicles as the most common denominator. Why wouldn't they be?

How does this sound? Just because you "can" walk on the mult-use path doesn't mean you "should."

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I bought one of the loudest most obnoxious bike alarm that I could find. I don't race up sidewalks, I'll give them a warning blast when I'm about 100' away. Kinda funny to watch them jump out of their skin. I'm usually out riding when it’s just breaking daylight so seeing walkers/joggers is fairly rare.
And if someone wants to get obnoxious with a walking stick there's a can of bear spray within arm's reach...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

Deflection ALLERT

This thread is about a selfish 62 YO bicyclist that killed a 81 YO woman pedestrian.

Retard alert. Another retard has chimed in.

Show me proof of the broad assertion that the OP wanted to limit the discussion to that. It's certainly not in the OP nor is it a norm in internet discussions to keep the conversation very narrowly focused. Given that you have flighty values, I can certainly see why my comment made you uncomfortable.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Why must pedestrians give way to cyclists?
Can't the cyclists ride behind them, until safe to pass ?

Roy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought that the law that came down the mountain with Moses clearly stipulated that ANY and ALL traffic was ordered (under pain of death) to be aware of and yield to anythingt that was moving faster.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by slumlord

“….huh!! Duhhh….where am I, why I am here….I’m no Jack Kennedy, I like ice cream, our La Salle ran great….

By then….. it’s

Just one less boomer, who cares

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Well golly Sparky, try this. Type "Ride E-bike no driver's license" into the search engine of your choice and read the returns 'til your heart's content. You'll find that people with suspended licenses often turn to them. You'll find that people too young to get a license turn to them. Twist the search a little and and you'll see that people who cannot afford a car often use an E-Bike as primary transportation.

I look forward to another goddam stupid response. If nothing else, you are predictable in your dumbassery.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Why must pedestrians give way to cyclists?
Can't the cyclists ride behind them, until safe to pass ?

I certainly do.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If I am the approaching vehicle and someone legally on the road ahead of me is travelling slower than me (bicycle or pedestrians included) and I run into or over the one in front of me it is almost assured that I am at fault. Bicyclists use this to their advantage all the time.

I have investigated many boating accidents and in every case the boat that was approaching from behind and collided with a watercraft going the same direction the overtaking boat operator was at fault.

I haven't read this whole discussion but I'm assuming the old woman didn't jump out in front of the bicycle when she turned to look. Sounds as if the bicycle was going to barely miss her at best if she hadn't turned to look.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

By then….. it’s

I sure hope Slum is still here and posting in his eighties (and I'm here to see it).

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
If I am the approaching vehicle and someone legally on the road ahead of me is travelling slower than me (bicycle or pedestrians included) and I run into or over the one in front of me it is almost assured that I am at fault. Bicyclists use this to their advantage all the time.

I have investigated many boating accidents and in every case the boat that was approaching from behind and collided with a watercraft going the same direction the overtaking boat operator was at fault.

I haven't read this whole discussion but I'm assuming the old woman didn't jump out in front of the bicycle when she turned to look. Sounds as if the bicycle was going to barely miss her at best if she hadn't turned to look.

I pulled the path up on Google street view. It's winding, narrow and tree lined. It also has stair access from the homes on the bluff above it. It's a horrible place to go fast on a bicycle.

The Louisiana maritime attorneys that I have discussed accidents with are quick to tell you that when the accidents get litigated, fault is almost always apportioned. The vessel being overtaken will always be the stand-on vessel, so that does put the brunt of the responsibility on the give-way/overtaking vessel. It does not however, absolve the stand-on vessel of attending her responsibilities as prescribed by the navigation rules. Maintaining course, maintaining speed, maintaining a lookout, taking action to avoid collision even if it involves departure from the navigation rules. There's a standing joke among maritime attorneys that an island would be apportioned some fault in a collision.

When the Coast Guard conducts investigations, we don't even assign fault. We find facts and measure them against the Navigation Rules.

Most road users do use the law to their advantage. It tends to make for good order.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Deflection ALLERT

Show me proof of the broad assertion that the OP wanted to limit the discussion to that. It's certainly not in the OP nor is it a norm in internet discussions to keep the conversation very narrowly focused. Given that you have flighty values, I can certainly see why my comment made you uncomfortable.

Photo below that you posted of yourself is a retard on full display. Paul digging in the nose.

GOA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
no farm subsidies no social security mentioned that this thread is about entitlement all right!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Umm, no. They were not designed FOR motorists. They were designed for multi-modal transportation. Period. Laws and signage make this abundantly clear. They were designed with passengers vehicles as the most common denominator. Why wouldn't they be?

How does this sound? Just because you "can" walk on the mult-use path doesn't mean you "should."

How does this sound? Just because you "can" walk on the mult-use path doesn't mean you "should." - that's a stretch when comparing bikes and people to bikes on roads built for high speed travel and vehicles weighing two tons or more. Most roads in the US were simply not designed for cyclist safety, they have been modified with extra shoulders and lines but it's not like Europe where they've been integrated in the planning.

I make every effort to get out of the way when a cyclist approaches but it's a wooded trail and often they come up fast and by the time you hear "on your left" you only have moments to collect yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
I bought one of the loudest most obnoxious bike alarm that I could find. I don't race up sidewalks, I'll give them a warning blast when I'm about 100' away. Kinda funny to watch them jump out of their skin. I'm usually out riding when it’s just breaking daylight so seeing walkers/joggers is fairly rare.
And if someone wants to get obnoxious with a walking stick there's a can of bear spray within arm's reach...

My personal favorite is a walker with ear plugs/headphones on, they are in the outdoors and completely eliminate their sense of hearing and respond with shock when you pass them running, biking, etc... Can't imagine why a woman would walk/run a wooded trail with her hearing blocked???

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Pretty interesting. I spent three years stationed in Germany. They have a strange rule concerning pedestrian's over there. Pedestrians have the right of way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well golly Sparky, try this. Type "Ride E-bike no driver's license" into the search engine of your choice and read the returns 'til your heart's content. You'll find that people with suspended licenses often turn to them. You'll find that people too young to get a license turn to them. Twist the search a little and and you'll see that people who cannot afford a car often use an E-Bike as primary transportation.

I look forward to another goddam stupid response. If nothing else, you are predictable in your dumbassery.

I think a fat-tired e-bike would be pretty cool on our local trails but that kind of defeats the purpose of riding as I do for exercise. If it has a motor, I don't want to pedal. If I could use one for local commutes or a run to the store I would but only if there was some elevation in the terrain.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How does this sound? Just because you "can" walk on the mult-use path doesn't mean you "should." - that's a stretch when comparing bikes and people to bikes on roads built for high speed travel and vehicles weighing two tons or more. Most roads in the US were simply not designed for cyclist safety, they have been modified with extra shoulders and lines but it's not like Europe where they've been integrated in the planning.

I make every effort to get out of the way when a cyclist approaches but it's a wooded trail and often they come up fast and by the time you hear "on your left" you only have moments to collect yourself.

I don't think it's a stretch. When I walk on multi-use paths, I am sharing them with bicyclists going on average about 5 times faster than I walk. When I bicycle on roadways, I normally bicycle on roadways where motor vehicles are going less than 4 times as fast as me, most often closer to 2 time faster than me.

You have flighty values. Period.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve

By then….. it’s

I sure hope Slum is still here and posting in his eighties (and I'm here to see it).

Magic 8 Ball

Says….. chances are ZERO

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
LOL !

Roy

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
So deaf people can't use multi use paths?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

By then….. it’s

You get taken out by Ralph Kramden?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
LOL !

That was a nice touch. I chuckled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

By then….. it’s

You get taken out by Ralph Kramden?

60s Batman

it just popped into my synapy

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
double negative. And I did state the self responsibility and tonnage issue....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How about don't run over people, no matter the vehicle.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Deflection ALLERT

Photo below that you posted of yourself is a retard on full display. Paul digging in the nose.

And to think that you got spankfugked by that. Be proud!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RMiller2
How about don't run over people, no matter the vehicle.

No, that's completely unacceptable. It's only when bicyclists challenge the rule of gross tonnage that they deserve to get hit.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I despise the walk areas in parking lots. Please don't stop for me. You just slow me down. You keep driving. I will cross behind you when its safe.

Crosswalks too.. they think they own the road.

I will do everything I can to avoid hitting most anyone with most anything we own. I expect the same in return and common sense should apply.

On the water the rule of tonnage applies... why not on a road way. If you are little stay the hell out of the way. Its the way nature works too...

We rode bikes a lot. Went to an area with a big shoulder and always pulled over with traffic coming. Wouldn't ride a bike path on a bet personally. But those are usually in cities anyway. We walk a lot. Head on a swivel. Even out in the bush its head on a swivel. Its your life. You choose how dumb you want to be.

Should an 81 year old walk? Sure. But shouldn't they be alert enough to know bikes are coming, stay out of the way etc.... I know if I can't then I won't or at least I won't be blaming the others.

Now a hot rod blasting down the road mowing everything over in sight is the other extreme and thats wrong too. Hot rod defined many different ways.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Certainly 100% the cyclist fault.

If it was a cyclist/pedestrian on the road hit by a car, it would be the car's fault.

E-Bikes are motorized vehicles IMO, should be licensed and treated as such. Manufacturer's are just using a pedal loophole to get around the laws.

Bike/hiking paths usually state non-motorized trails, E-Bike's have a motor and should not be allowed.

I get a pretty good laugh when walking/hiking on these paths and all of these "bikes" go by. Amazingly the riders are not even pedaling. crazy

Main problem I have with cyclist is they seem to want the best of both worlds.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Barnard Approved

GOA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Should an 81 year old walk? Sure. But shouldn't they be alert enough to know bikes are coming, stay out of the way etc.... I know if I can't then I won't or at least I won't be blaming the others.

Let me know if you feel the same when you’re 81 and get tagged by a cyclist when you are on a multi-use path.

This one’s on the cyclopath.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Pedestrians are unpredictable and vulnerable,

So are cyclists.

Retired cat herder.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Got any pics of the riders??

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by LBP

This is before she switched to an E bike.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
This one is very easy for me. When I pass a pedestrian on my bicycle, and I have to do it within close proximity, I pass with minimum speed disparity. I never yell "ON YOUR LEFT." Many don't know what it means. It will confuse or startle some. I will say "I am easing around your left." I most often exchange cordialities as I pass.

LOTS of pedestrians have buds. Pedestrians in parks and on paths tend to have very low situational awareness. They are often in la-la land and in sightseeing mode. Armed with that knowledge, it is incumbent upon me to expect unpredictable behavior. The best mitigating measure for me is passing with minimal speed disparity and communicating when possible.

I have seen pedestrians do remarkably absent minded stuff. Headphones on, walking with the flow of bicycles on a 10 foot wide path, wheel around and do a 180 without so much as a glance over the shoulder. Pedestrians cutting across paths without looking. Pedestrians with dogs on leashes taking up the entire path. One day I watches as an apparently homeless guy was walking on the levee path batture at an angle toward the path. Across the path in the direction he was walking was a street. I suspected he was going to connect to that street. I also saw a guy and gal cyclist riding on the levee path from the pedestrians blind side at a speed that would have them arriving at the same place at the same time. My wife and I were riding behind them. I could see it developing. Had I been the other cyclists, I would have slowed. They didn't and the pedestrian walked right into the path without looking.

Pedestrians do stupid stuff. Cyclists do stupid stuff. Motorists do stupid stuff. Situational awareness and a defensive posture are helpful.

Pedestrians always have the right away when I ride on shared trails. You should always slow way down passing a pedestrianor go ride on the highways and deal with traffic

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Interesting to hear our .22 ammo hoarding friend quoting the Golden Rule, guess he doesn't feel it applies to buying ammo he doesn't need. And then bragging about it as though it is something other than selfish greed, that he feels worthy of adulation.

Last edited by gunswizard; 03/20/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gungizzard buys his 22lr five rounds at a time. LOL

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Far too many cyclists have zero regard for their safety, or for the safety of others around them. I've witnessed this over and over again where I live.

Anyone with decency and courtesy will slow down when coming from behind a person who probably can't hear them coming. Even a young person may not hear a cyclist!

The cyclist should be charged for what he caused!

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 03/20/24.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard

There, there little one.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Interesting to hear our .22 ammo hoarding friend quoting the Golden Rule, guess he doesn't feel it applies to buying ammo he doesn't need. And then bragging about it as though it is something other than selfish greed, that he feels worthy of adulation.

Boomer jealousy and envy

You sound like blackshart

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Far too many cyclist have zero regard for their safety, or for the safety of others around them. I've witnessed this over and over again where I live.

Anyone with decency and courtesy will slow down when coming from behind a person who probably can't hear them coming. Even a young person may not hear a cyclist!

The cyclist should be charged for what he caused!

According to news reports the 62 YO bicyclist was not charged by the cops.

I did note in the story the 62 YO bicyclist claimed he rang is bell in addition to verbal warnings.

Given the bell ringing thing I've decided I need to give a warning when passing bicyclists on the road when driving my Expedition.

I'm intending to install Dual Locomotive horns on the Expedition. One forward facing, one facing to the right shoulder of road.

The Locomotive horns will have individual 40 CF air tanks and a 20 CFM @ 120 psi air compressor to keep the tanks topped off.

The goal is to allert the bicyclist(s) I'm approaching with a long blast with the forward facing Locomotive Horn, then add a long blast with the right facing Locomotive Horn as I pass.

These Locomotive Horns should add a measure of safety as well as a courtesy for the bicyclists.

GOA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
People just need to stay the hell away from each other. Too many people in too small a space.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

I like the way you think.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

She should have had better hearing aids. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LBP

This is before she switched to an E bike.

Whoa Pard, I know my limitations!! 😬

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by LBP
Whoa Pard, I know my limitations!! 😬

Not even Barry could put a dent in that one

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Golden Rule applies to cycling and not to ammo buying ? Interesting concept, a selfish clod is a selfish bragadocious clod except when he's on his bicycle. Grandpa goes down to the gunshop to buy some .22 ammo so he can take his grandkids shooting only to find that Mr. P (Golden Rule) B has been there and bought all of the .22 ammo and is now home sitting at his computer looking for accolades from his internet buddies for his good deed.

Last edited by gunswizard; 03/21/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

game on

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Raeford
[quote=Teal]She's 81 years old. How far and how fast left could she have moved once she heard "on your left" and the bell?

What if one has hearing issues?[/quote

WHAT

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

carry a walking stick and ram it into there spokes, they will slow down, ask me how i know

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Deflection ALLERT

Is that really you....so many wrinkles!

Attached Images
apple face.jpg (66.43 KB, 111 downloads)

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AZmark

Deflection ALLERT

Is that really you....so many wrinkles!

If you think that's a lot of wrinkles, you should see my penis when it's not happy. Lemme go find that pic for you. BRB.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
OldmanoftheSea: If this incident really happened as "reported" then the cyclist has a "world of hurt" ahead for hisself!
The least of his worries will be a citation for negligent operation and what will really hurt will be the lawyer bills and the coming civil suit for wrongful death etc etc etc.
Shame this happened - because it should NOT have happened.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
OldmanoftheSea: If this incident really happened as "reported" then the cyclist has a "world of hurt" ahead for hisself!
The least of his worries will be a citation for negligent operation and what will really hurt will be the lawyer bills and the coming civil suit for wrongful death etc etc etc.
Shame this happened - because it should NOT have happened.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It happened 12 years ago. I believe, based on what I know of the circumstances, that the rider exposed himself to substantial civil liability.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/quote]

Is that really you....so many wrinkles![/quote]

If you think that's a lot of wrinkles, you should see my penis when it's not happy. Lemme go find that pic for you. BRB.[/quote]

Oh! I thought that was your penis......my mistake!

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AZmark

Is that really you....so many wrinkles![/quote]

If you think that's a lot of wrinkles, you should see my penis when it's not happy. Lemme go find that pic for you. BRB.[/quote]

Oh! I thought that was your penis......my mistake![/quote]

lolololol

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by steveredd1
carry a walking stick and ram it into there spokes, they will slow down, ask me how i know

When I was stationed at Schofield Barracks on Oahu, the PX was having a huge spring sale event with lots of stuff set up outside in the parking lot. Several booth of food vendors.Hundreds of folks enjoying the event.

There was a young guy, not sure if it was a young soldier or a teen dependent, racing around on a bicycle through the crowds being a complete dick. Even bumped a few enough to cause them to loose their plates of food. He went by me about ten feet away and I noticed his sweatshirt draped over the handle bars with a sleeve hanging down close to the spokes. I thought that looked like an accident waiting to happen.

You guessed it. I no sooner thought that and it happened. Total lockup of the front tire. Over the handle bars face first into the pavement. Blood and teeth everywhere. And a resounding cheer from the crowd. I never enjoyed so much, seeing someone wreck.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Although it was not his move, the biker is at fault. Hell, half the world is out there now with ear buds on and likely won't hear an approaching thunderstorm.

Not witness this type or wreck, but have seen two good ones. 1. A guy approaching a well-tanned chick coming the opposite way and exposing lots of cleavage. He turned to savor a rear view and gradually drifted to the right into the curb. All but the biker saw it coming together and it was spectacular. The chick was far enough along that she had no idea.

2. A guy paused to let an approaching bus pass and continued to look left as he made a hard right turn. He failed to notice the bus stopped for a pickup just as it passed, and he rode right into the back end. Never saw what hit him. We picked him and his bike up, dusted him off a bit, and he seemed conscious when we left.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/21/24.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Although it was not his move, the biker is at fault. Hell, half the world is out there now with ear buds on and likely won't hear an approaching thunderstorm.

Not witness this type or wreck, but have seen two good ones. 1. A guy approaching a well-tanned chick coming the opposite way and exposing lots of cleavage. He turned to savor a rear view and gradually drifted to the right into the curb. All but the biker saw it coming together and it was spectacular. The chick was far enough along that she had no idea.

2. A guy paused to let an approaching bus pass and continued to look left as he made a hard right turn. He failed to notice the bus stopped for a pickup just as it passed, and he rode right into the back end. Never saw what hit him. We picked him and his bike up, dusted him off a bit, and he seemed conscious when we left.

I have had some pretty spectacular get-offs. Most in my youth. We used to ride our bicycles to junior high school. When the bell would ring, we'd race to get to our bikes to see who could get home the fastest. One day, I got caught up in a crowded hallway and my buds all got to their bikes before me. They were a few hundred yards ahead of me. I decided I would take a shortcut across a few lawns to cut the gap. I was looking at them as I angled across. THWACK. I didn't see the telephone pole guide wire. Right across the forehead. Peeled me off my bike and it rolled another 30 feet or so. I had an egg growing on my forehead for a week. I wonder if that's what's wrong with my head today.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have never gotten into so many bicycles and reckless riders on public streets as I did one evening in Fort Collins Colorado. My son and I stopped there to spend the night 5 or 6 years ago. After reading this thread I did a search on Fort Collins bicycle accidents. There are several lawyers in that town soliciting runover bicyclists for contingency lawsuits.

Also there were several news articles about runover bicycle riders. In a way it seems that people that ride bicycles on public roads ought to be treated like rodeo riders that get hurt or killed. You took your chances when you climbed on that thing.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I remember an incident where a cyclist hit an older woman- ?Colorado. Four of them believed they should be able to walk 4 abreast and not have to move over for the mountain bikers. The place was ""for them"".

I agree with them, and I ride bicycles more than most.

The pedestrian has the right of way, it is my responsibility as a cyclist to accommodate them.

Most times the cyclist considers it too much of an imposition to merely slow down, will call out “ON YOUR LEFT!” moments before zipping by from behind, giving the pedestrian little time to react.

Strapping on spandex does seem to bring out the d$ckhead in folks.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
THWACK. I didn't see the telephone pole guide wire. Right across the forehead.

This explains an awful lot.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Like the desire to buy .22 ammo he doesn't need and offer pics of his junk on the internet ?

Last edited by gunswizard; 03/22/24.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Like the desire to buy .22 ammo he doesn't need ?

silly boomer covtard.

You can't purchase 22 ammo now? Are you that dumb and helpless?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like the desire to buy .22 ammo he doesn't need ?

It's not that he doesn't need it - it's that he knew you did. That's why I buy it.

Me

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
I have never gotten into so many bicycles and reckless riders on public streets as I did one evening in Fort Collins Colorado. My son and I stopped there to spend the night 5 or 6 years ago. After reading this thread I did a search on Fort Collins bicycle accidents. There are several lawyers in that town soliciting runover bicyclists for contingency lawsuits.

Also there were several news articles about runover bicycle riders. In a way it seems that people that ride bicycles on public roads ought to be treated like rodeo riders that get hurt or killed. You took your chances when you climbed on that thing.

City Bicycle messengers, in many cases Ate a perfect example of this. Although they are like french/Greek cab drivers. At least they are working....it is the recreational cyclists who behave like they are on a mission from God, that are the real menace....

In what ever mode of transportation you choose it is the duty of the overtaking to avoid the overtaken period.

-OMotS

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
OP, I’ve got to ask - what prompted the posting of this article (from 2012) a dozen years later?

https://www.arlnow.com/2012/06/11/woman-seriously-injured-after-being-hit-by-cyclist/

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OP, I’ve got to ask - what prompted the posting of this article (from 2012) a dozen years later?

https://www.arlnow.com/2012/06/11/woman-seriously-injured-after-being-hit-by-cyclist/

SImple, there hasn't been a good bike thread in at least two weeks. Paul Barnard is slipping, once he retired, it was all downhill. which, for a cyclist, is bitchin.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

When you are town crier and something comes across your many feeds, you pump that schidt out, you don't do any meaningless verification. Veracity smacity. Recency peencency.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I have had some pretty spectacular get-offs. Most in my youth. We used to ride our bicycles to junior high school. When the bell would ring, we'd race to get to our bikes to see who could get home the fastest. One day, I got caught up in a crowded hallway and my buds all got to their bikes before me. They were a few hundred yards ahead of me. I decided I would take a shortcut across a few lawns to cut the gap. I was looking at them as I angled across. THWACK. I didn't see the telephone pole guide wire. Right across the forehead. Peeled me off my bike and it rolled another 30 feet or so. I had an egg growing on my forehead for a week. I wonder if that's what's wrong with my head today.

Ha. I think I have you topped Paul

High school age, probably sophomore year or so, delivering papers in the early morning gloominess. Had smoked a hooter up the hill after delivering the first paper and before starting out on the rest of the route. About 1/2 way through, rode up to a house, tossed their paper on the porch, came off their lawn and onto the street to continue and ...........................bam. Smack dab right into the big white ass end of a travel trailer...............Like where the hell did that come from.

No egg on my forehead though. Just kinda embarrassed about missing a big white trailer. In my favor, I was probably operating on auto pilot and I seem to recall the trailer had never been there before.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
it is the recreational cyclists who behave like they are on a mission from God, that are the real menace....

Do you need a hug?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

High school age, probably sophomore year or so, delivering papers in the early morning gloominess. Had smoked a hooter up the hill after delivering the first paper and before starting out on the rest of the route. About 1/2 way through, rode up to a house, tossed their paper on the porch, came off their lawn and onto the street to continue and ...........................bam. Smack dab right into the big white ass end of a travel trailer...............Like where the hell did that come from.

No egg on my forehead though. Just kinda embarrassed about missing a big white trailer. In my favor, I was probably operating on auto pilot and I seem to recall the trailer had never been there before.

LOLOL.

Another of my top 5. I grew up on the edge of Pascagoula MS where a residential area abutted some borrow pits and many acres of wooded land. We had bicycle trails all over the place. There was a dirt road that ran alongside a where they had recently dug out the ditch and install a culvert under a paved road that ran perpendicular to the paved road. We built a dirt jump on the dirt road. We didn't have any money, so we cobbled bikes together out of whatever we could find at a nearby landfill. I never was the wheelie or stunt king, but I could jump crazy long distances. One day I was trying to impress a neighborhood girl with my jumping skills on a newly assembled bike. I hit that jump at full speed and yanked up on the handlebars as I approached the peak. The handlebars came out, stem and all! It seemed like I was in slow motion flailing the detached bars in my hand. When I hit the ground, the front wheel folded under, and I went over the front and about 8 feet down into the ditch. I impacted on my shoulder and the side of my head about 6 inches from that concrete culvert. There was no water in the ditch at the time, but there was some deep soft mud where I hit. I collected myself, more relieved that I was still intact than embarrassed. There was a perfect impression of my head and shoulder in the mud.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like the desire to buy .22 ammo he doesn't need and offer pics of his junk on the internet ?
Last I checked....................................I and he live in the US of A and are free to buy what we want, when we want it (the exception being regulated items)

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Last I checked....................................I and he live in the US of A and are free to buy what we want, when we want it (the exception being regulated items)

Well, it is the kind of thing that pisses resellers off.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/userposts/view/started/id/28360

LOLOLOLOL

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

LOLOL.

Another of my top 5. I grew up on the edge of Pascagoula MS where a residential area abutted some borrow pits and many acres of wooded land. We had bicycle trails all over the place. There was a dirt road that ran alongside a where they had recently dug out the ditch and install a culvert under a paved road that ran perpendicular to the paved road. We built a dirt jump on the dirt road. We didn't have any money, so we cobbled bikes together out of whatever we could find at a nearby landfill. I never was the wheelie or stunt king, but I could jump crazy long distances. One day I was trying to impress a neighborhood girl with my jumping skills on a newly assembled bike. I hit that jump at full speed and yanked up on the handlebars as I approached the peak. The handlebars came out, stem and all! It seemed like I was in slow motion flailing the detached bars in my hand. When I hit the ground, the front wheel folded under, and I went over the front and about 8 feet down into the ditch. I impacted on my shoulder and the side of my head about 6 inches from that concrete culvert. There was no water in the ditch at the time, but there was some deep soft mud where I hit. I collected myself, more relieved that I was still intact than embarrassed. There was a perfect impression of my head and shoulder in the mud.

Damn Paul, the scheidt we got into when we were kids.

Zooming around the sidewalks at the local elementary school one day ( can't say "halls as schools in SoCal were open breezeways), playing chase of some sort. Had a good head of steam up, came around the corner just as my friend did. Head on collision, me going right into the gooseneck stem of the handlebars with a certain part of my anatomy that isn't built for that type of contact.

Probably why I can honestly be called a brokedick?

Of course, should I choose I could likely recall a few more.

I won't get into the driver caused ones................like "I never saw you so I pulled out from the stop sign. "

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

How many days did it take someone to check?

I just searched for one I liked, put it on the hook, and tossed it in the poo. I didn't Eve have to jiggle it to get Captain spandex to latch onto the hook. Actually, I turned down several newer ones while digging... Heck, it is not even bicycle season in the cities where most of the maniacal cyclists are.....even the college kids are still piling in their vans to go climb the smokes to practice getting up to lethal velocity...
It will be may or June before a bicyclist kills someone in DC or NYC. Later in the UK.

-OMotS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Within the first few hours of when you posted it. Within the first few minutes of when I found it.

https://www.arlnow.com/2012/06/11/woman-seriously-injured-after-being-hit-by-cyclist/ Such are the woes of trying to interact with the intellectually vapid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

GOA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Soft hands 🙌

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I just searched for one I liked, put it on the hook, and tossed it in the poo. I didn't Eve have to jiggle it to get Captain spandex to latch onto the hook. Actually, I turned down several newer ones while digging... Heck, it is not even bicycle season in the cities where most of the maniacal cyclists are.....even the college kids are still piling in their vans to go climb the smokes to practice getting up to lethal velocity...
It will be may or June before a bicyclist kills someone in DC or NYC. Later in the UK.

So Pee Wee, what you're saying is....."I Meant To Do That"???

Attached Images
peewee.jpg (8.03 KB, 55 downloads)

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Soft hands 🙌

Some tourists trusted me to take their picture, so I left them a gift on their phone.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Look what I found while I was up there.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Displaying your snot on the interweb, definately a class act ! Followed closely by the offer to show off his junk, least ways he's not out buying .22 ammo that he admittedly doesn't need. Guess in his mind actions like these are accolade worthy ?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
....it is the recreational cyclists who behave like they are on a mission from God, that are the real menace....

You mean, as opposed to the guys riding bikes because they have six DUIs?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,216
Posts18,485,508
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.