-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bikes are vehicles, and it’s incumbent on the operator to avoid hitting pedestrians. If a cyclist wants to rocket around, they should do it on a road (not mine please!), or a track designed for that. The same thing could easily have happened to a child on a bike or a dog.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Bicyclist blames Pedestrian...

A man on a bike hit an 81-year-old woman walking on the Four Mile Run trail, ARLnow reports, and the woman subsequently died of the injuries. Do we need better consensus on how to alert pedestrians to passing cyclists?

The 62-year-old cyclist was heading down a hill and shouted “on your left” to warn the woman. Instead of either moving right or just being alert, she apparently turned around in a way that moved to the left, while exclaiming “what?” The cyclist then struck her, she fell, and her head hit the ground.

Update: ARLnow is now also reporting that the cyclist rang a bell as well as calling out. (and that means the bicyclist has no culpability says our resident vegan bicyclist)

Whether or not this particular cyclist did something wrong, the first rule always must be that people riding bikes need to be careful around pedestrians. Daniel Hoagland, WABA’s Bicycle Ambassador, wrote in an email:
Pedestrians are unpredictable and vulnerable, which is a bad combination (and doesn’t even get into things like pets and children and the mobility-impaired), and bicyclists should be prepared to slow down to whatever speed is necessary to ensure that they can react safely to whatever a pedestrian does.

Best I can tell, the story you reference happened about a year ago. https://www.insauga.com/81-year-old...illed-by-cyclist-in-niagara-on-the-lake/ Upon further review, it may have been this article from 2012 involving an 80 year old woman. https://www.arlnow.com/2012/06/11/woman-seriously-injured-after-being-hit-by-cyclist/ Such are the woes of trying to interact with the intellectually vapid.

There will never be a consensus on how to pass. That's part of the reason I pass with minimum speed disparity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
No, it doesn't work all the time because lots of people walk on bike trails and have zero situational awareness. So if you're passing them and they don't see you, you need to be able to stop or avoid them. Just like skiing, it's the uphill skier's responsibility to avoid a collision with someone who has their back turned.

Pretty much spot-on. On the sea, the vessel being overtaken is always the "stand-on" vessel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Move the friggin wheels off the highways and walking paths.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW

I looked to see if I could identify this path. It was likely a multi-use path designed for pedestrians and cyclists. It's likely the kind of path that motorists believe cyclists should be relegated to. Now we have a goddam moron shouting that cyclists shouldn't be on the path that was designed and provided for them.

Suck it up buttercup. Cyclists can be in both places no matter how big of a tantrum you throw.

This thread is interesting in that the majority believe that the cyclist is at fault. Almost all believe that due to the vulnerability of the pedestrian, the cyclist has a moral duty to exercise due care. Nobody has suggested that the pedestrian got their due comeuppance for daring to defy the law of gross tonnage with a cyclist. Flighty values are never not funny.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bicycles are very stealthy- just a small amount of wind and walkers will not know you're there.
I ride like Paul- let them know I'm passing them and say hello.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Bicycles are very stealthy- just a small amount of wind and walkers will not know you're there.
I ride like Paul- let them know I'm passing them and say hello.

The Golden Rule never fails.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yep.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it was the 2012 crash in Arlington at this location "Four Mile Run Bike Path in the area of the 4900 block of Columbia Pike" Google street view will allow you to see and move up and down the path. That is a HORRIBLE place to haul ass on a bicycle. Just horrible.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cyclist is definitely at fault. Had the attitude: "I'm barging through" , heedless of the danger he represented to the old woman, on whose hearing and reflexes he insisted on testing.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
She's 81 years old. How far and how fast left could she have moved once she heard "on your left" and the bell?

not even this fast.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We walk our dogs on a local multi-use trial for hikers/bikes/horses and the bikers come out of nowhere and make little effort to slow, mostly if we are really alert we have just enough time to pull our dogs aside and make way for the spandex bunch who have the attitude that they have the right of way, they don't! Before Paul tells me how biased I am, I've bought five bikes from local shops over the last decade but have mostly given up riding due to the azzwipes that fancy it in my city and they dangers of riding on the road. As far as I know, they rules for biking on multi-use trails suggest that they must ride under control and yield to horses and walkers.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Even when jogging, I yell as I approach pedestrians from behind. I don’t want them to curve into my path as they turn their head to check out the sound.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I looked to see if I could identify this path. It was likely a multi-use path designed for pedestrians and cyclists. It's likely the kind of path that motorists believe cyclists should be relegated to. Now we have a goddam moron shouting that cyclists shouldn't be on the path that was designed and provided for them.

Suck it up buttercup. Cyclists can be in both places no matter how big of a tantrum you throw.

This thread is interesting in that the majority believe that the cyclist is at fault. Almost all believe that due to the vulnerability of the pedestrian, the cyclist has a moral duty to exercise due care. Nobody has suggested that the pedestrian got their due comeuppance for daring to defy the law of gross tonnage with a cyclist. Flighty values are never not funny.

This thread is interesting in that the majority believe that the cyclist is at fault - yes, the cyclist is 100% at fault for not controlling their actions and causing loss of life!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
E-Bikes have only made the situation worse. People who could never have achieved 25 mph on a bike (think LBP style) now fly up and down the multiuse trails with reckless abandon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

This thread is interesting in that the majority believe that the cyclist is at fault - yes, the cyclist is 100% at fault for not controlling their actions and causing loss of life!

And of course we hold that value set wrt motorists who mow down cyclists, right?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
E-Bikes have only made the situation worse. People who could never have achieved 25 mph on a bike (think LBP style) now fly up and down the multiuse trails with reckless abandon.

Another factor with E-bikes is that many of their operators are those who cannot get a driver's license or are otherwise precluded from operating a motor vehicle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And of course we hold that value set wrt motorists who mow down cyclists, right?

Deflection ALLERT

This thread is about a selfish 62 YO bicyclist that killed a 81 YO woman pedestrian.

GOA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I took out a lady, her dog, and myself while riding.
I even gave the vaunted “On your Left!” warning.

She stopped, looked over her shoulder and stepped right. The dog bolted left. It was on a leash that was around the woman’s wrist. Total pileup.

My fault 100%.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Are bikes vehicles? In my area we have spent millions on "bike Lanes". Bike rider are governed by the same rode riles on our city streets, but seldom abide by them. With all the money spent to cater to this elite crowd, what the hell are bike riders doing on our walking paths and sidewalks? E Bikes are the worst, old lazy riders speeding in an unsafe speed. These E Bikes and Electric Moto Cross cycles really tear up the unpaved trails.

On there other hand I really do not understand the need for all these "walking trails". Why no go out and walk somewhere with out a path to follow? Sidewalks are on longer safe with bike riders switching form pedestrian to vehicle to fit their need to avoid traffic conditions.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (44mc, 35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 5 invisible), 1,455 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,415
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.