Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Do deer frequent mineral blocks? I’ve never put them out, always had some type of stock on the place I’ve hunted. The East Texas paper company land I’m on now does not. What’s best to put out or am I wasting my time?? Thanks in advance!!

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have tried Grainiac blocks. They seem to like them.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I put out powdered minerals, salt, calcium and molasses a couple times a year for deer. Recipe from youtube and cheap to buy at the feed store.

The does sure like it this time of year.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried a variety, but finally decided that rock salt worked the best.

Dig a trench. Poor it in. Put back the dirt, The salt will seep into the dirt, and the deer will worry the dirt. For one thing, done this way, the salt lasts longer. Second, the deer get trace minerals out of the dirt. Third, by keeping the deer from directly eating the salt, you keep them from overdoing the salt. Too much salt is bad for the deer. They fill up on salt and then fill up on water, which then leaves them less room for food.

I use mixing salt, because it is the cheapest, but I've used rock salt and conditioner pellets as well.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Most parts of Texas have more than enough Salt in the soil to support wildlife, do a soil test on your lease, it should tell you what you need to know Texas A&M will test your soil samples and send you a report on the results, look up the process on the A&M web site. Rio7

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I use a combination of "Trophy Rocks" and salt blocks rom the feed store.

The issue you might have is when they're hitting them. I see the most activity in spring and summer, fall not so muck. They're useful to keep deer around in the off season, and when you put a camera on them, you'll get an idea of what's around.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I get more activity on my ground licks than with blocks on my lease in AL. I either find depression or create one with a shovel or an old rotting stump and pour either fine mixing salt or trace mineral in there. If you can find an evergreen with shade that is a good place as well as it will hold moisture better.

Best just before a rain. The rain soaks it into the soil. Even after the mineral or salt is visibly gone they paw around in the hole making it bigger.

If you have water at your lease i guess you could dissolve it a drum of water and dump the water in the hole.

My best ones hold a bit of water. I refresh the licks with a bag once a year. I have several the deer have dug out two feet deep and 6 feet wide. There is usually a bit of water in the hole after a few years. I just just dump it right in the water.

Keeps the deer coming year round for the price of one or two bags of corn. This year I paid $10 for a 50lb bag of fine mixing salt and about $16 per bag of trace mineral from the local co-op.

Last edited by Boarmaster123; 03/20/24.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mule deer and WT like the reddish brown trace mineral blocks, elk too.
Cheap at the feed store.
They are a little better than straight salt for the wildlife they say.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by wytex
Mule deer and WT like the reddish brown trace mineral blocks, elk too.
Cheap at the feed store.
They are a little better than straight salt for the wildlife they say.

I leave the red mineral blocks out for our goat herd. I've got them near water sources in multiple pastures that we rotate stock through. I often see deer at them. Occasionally I've seen them circled around it with 3 or 4 does/young ones working on it at the same time.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We put out trace mineral red brown blocks. The deer where we hunt come to them often in spring and summer. The deer will dig a hole down into the rocks when the block melts into the ground. It seems like the antler growth is a little better when they have minerals. It might be my imagination though.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Illegal here in Colorado.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I usually use the red trace mineral blocks, but I have used the white ones or occasionally bags of pool salt.

I sometimes have to put a bucket of clay in the resulting hole to keep it from turning into a tank trap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I set Mineral salt blocks and sulfur salt blocks side by side. The deer eat the dirt where the rain melts them. They create a hole next to them, and in late spring the doe will stand and drink the water a lot. Yes, i have camera's on them. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I keep one out in the backyard through the winter and early spring. They. seem to prefer the ones with a higher molasses content with some corn mixed in. The first time I put one out, I put my trail camera on the back porch and had a ten point on that block within two hours. I tried a Purina block with ground up corn in it and they didn’t like that one at all.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by hanco
. . .The East Texas paper company land I’m on . . . .

I had a place way back when on Int. Paper land.
If it's the same, I hope things have improved since
I was around there. Didn't matter if things were
bolted down or chained up. If the pinheads
wanted something, it disappeared. Always the
neighborhood people. If they couldn't get it
they'd vandalize it. And the fence hoppers waiting
until you leave to take advantage of your work
and hunt your stands and shooting lanes.
Hopefully it'll be way better for you though.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Some guys at our lease, put mineral blocks near their feeder, black bears carried them off.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Illegal here in Colorado.

Hunting over bait is illegal here in Wyoming too so we put them out before and after season and do not hunt the sites. They are to supplement the herds not hunt over.
Had the biologists recc. we put out minerals for the deer and bighorn sheep as long as we didn't actively hunt right over them.
Been supplementing with mineral for about 25+ years now. All species seem to use the blocks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We've done the trophy rock and salt blocks. Did them over a period of years. While they were utilized by the deer, I can not say if we saw any difference in the quality of deer it created. Antler wise.

The old saying "you can't out exercise a bad diet" seems to apply "you can't out mineral bad genetics"

Me

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by hanco
. . .The East Texas paper company land I’m on . . . .

I had a place way back when on Int. Paper land.
If it's the same, I hope things have improved since
I was around there. Didn't matter if things were
bolted down or chained up. If the pinheads
wanted something, it disappeared. Always the
neighborhood people. If they couldn't get it
they'd vandalize it. And the fence hoppers waiting
until you leave to take advantage of your work
and hunt your stands and shooting lanes.
Hopefully it'll be way better for you though.

We have been on that place 4 years. I got on 2020, hunted, 2121, off 2022, back on 2023. No theft yet, cellular game cameras everywhere. That may help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Illegal here if you plan to shoot/hunt the deer

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 12344mag, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,824
Posts18,477,888
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.