Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by bpas105
Originally Posted by LHS905
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Come on.....nobody going to point out that it's a milk snake, not a coral snake?!

LHS
I was sitting here saying to myself -red touches yellow, dangerous fellow. Red touches black, won't fight back. But it looks more like a King snake instead of a Milk snake to me.

It's 100% coral snake.

https://animalia.bio/texas-coral-snake

I humbly stand corrected. Looked in Wiki and found there are around 30 different coral snakes, and the old red touches yellow thing doesn't work everywhere. Regardless, Rockinbbar's repellent works for me.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Get the dog his annual snake shot too. Mothballs have not seemed to do much good for us. There was a thing called snake be gone to shake out. Probably ground mothballs. Seems spraying around with pest killer to keep most things that they eat dead or away helped.

That said the dog got bit for the first time ever a few weeks back in the yard. The snake shots and a dose of Benadryl and he never really slowed down much.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
.... we try to befriend and persuade to stay around.

Uhh.... How does one "befriend" a snake? Hugs and kisses?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd set fire to the entire property.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I think they are for SKUNKS

"not too grumpy"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Originally Posted by CCCC
.... we try to befriend and persuade to stay around.

Uhh.... How does one "befriend" a snake? Hugs and kisses?
Not quite, but scratch behind the ears and rub its tummy.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Come on.....nobody going to point out that it's a milk snake, not a coral snake?!

LHS
I was sitting here saying to myself -red touches yellow, dangerous fellow. Red touches black, won't fight back. But it looks more like a King snake instead of a Milk snake to me.

It's 100% coral snake.

I humbly stand corrected. Looked in Wiki and found there are around 30 different coral snakes, and the old red touches yellow thing doesn't work everywhere. Regardless, Rockinbbar's repellent works for me.

If its black, red, and yellow, and the tip of the nose is black, its a Coral snake. The the poisonous Coral snake always start with the color black at the tip of the nose. some of the non poisonous look a likes do not.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I killed a lot of rattlesnakes on my property over the years. Then few years ago I set up bait stations for mice and wiped them out. Haven't seen snakes since then, I know they are around but not around the house, garage and barn. This year I will start using mixture of salt, garlic powder, onion powder and cedar oil just to make sure they stay away from structures.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jc189

LHS

It's 100% coral snake.

If it’s black, red, and yellow, and the tip of the nose is black, it’s a Coral snake. The the poisonous Coral snake always start with the color black at the tip of the nose. some of the non poisonous look a likes do not.
I don’t think that one has a nose.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You can always get a flock of Guinea fowl, they will keep snakes away. My grandma had a flock of around 40 on the farm in the 60s. Not a snake in sight, they will kill and eat the little ones and discourage bigger ones from hanging around.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

LHS

It's 100% coral snake.

If it’s black, red, and yellow, and the tip of the nose is black, it’s a Coral snake. The the poisonous Coral snake always start with the color black at the tip of the nose. some of the non poisonous look a likes do not.

Here's a pic of one with a nose.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Possums love copperheads and are immune to the venom. I seldom see any venomous snake but the neighbors chickens attract black snakes and I’m fine with that.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I had to put snake netting (landscape bird netting)on my martin poles, they find those birds real quick, just wrap it tight and fluff it out, they get hung up in the squares

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have relatives that live on ranches down in rattlesnake hell, Lake County Calif...they have semi domesticated turkeys, and the turkeys really take care of business.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Play some Santana diddys at max volume. J. Hendrix tunes might work too.

1Minute
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by killerv
I had to put snake netting (landscape bird netting)on my martin poles, they find those birds real quick, just wrap it tight and fluff it out, they get hung up in the squares

I've never seen netting used for snakes before. looks like it works pretty good.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by earlybrd
💀
That’s my snake gun as well. Dog alerts me and I come take out the trash.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
They make a product called snake stopper. You can pick it up at Ace. It’s a white jug with a purple lid and it’s got some different odors in it. I don’t know how it works. I have a jug here at the house but I never got around to using it, they also make a similar product for voles that has castor oil scent that my neighbor uses on his yard.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

LHS

It's 100% coral snake.

Here's a pic of one with a nose.

When Red touches Yeller...that can kill a Feller.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by killerv

I've never seen netting used for snakes before. looks like it works pretty good.

I bought some of the same stuff but they called it "deer netting", to make a run for my chickens to keep them from chitting all over the patio, etc.

Found out in short order that it would catch snakes easily. I got some ore and put it around the coop, and caught a bunch of snakes in it. Just pulled it out lengthwise, and kinda bunched it up, and put it around the perimeter of the coop... just a loose roll of it. Caught a bunch or rat snakes and several copperheads. Mostly they were dead when I found them. Kills snakes pretty quick.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,194
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.