Please don't feed the trolls!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2 things jumped out at me.

1. The expansion and penetration of the 9mm loads/bullets
2. The number of bullets that failed to open, esp in the 45 ACP

Thanks for posting.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the 22 magnum speer gold dot surprises me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a great link. I appreciate you sharing it. In my first pass I simply looked to see which loads of my various chamberings performed well. Then I went back to see if any particular brand or bullet performed well across my various chamberings. I am going to scan it again, but it looks like I could buy Hornady FTX in my 4 different chamberings and be well served.

2ndwind Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have Federal HST for 9MM .40 and .45 ACP. I always "knew" they were a good choice but this data is a confidence builder. The Sig Sauer 165 gr V-Crown looks to be a real performer too. I'll load some of those in .40 and maybe 10 MM.

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

- Federal 230 gr. HST .45 ACP
- Federal 180 gr. HST .40
- Winchester 180 gr. Ranger Bonded (PDX1) .40

To make the bad man stop.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for posting this... It's got to be the best comparison that I have ever seen.

Pictures of the bullets is really helpful, average expansion might be listed as 0.67" (for example), but the picture might show a couple of the bullets did not expand.

This charts going to be a factor in what bullets I buy.

I can not imagine the amount of work it took to do this.

Though I don't own one, I was quite surprised how some loads in the .380 acp did.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Thanks for posting this... It's got to be the best comparison that I have ever seen.

Pictures of the bullets is really helpful, average expansion might be listed as 0.67" (for example), but the picture might show a couple of the bullets did not expand.

This charts going to be a factor in what bullets I buy.

I can not imagine the amount of work it took to do this.

Though I don't own one, I was quite surprised how some loads in the .380 acp did.

Jerry

The 95 Grain Winchester PDX1 in .380 ACP is a performer, especially from a 3.5" barrel.

GR

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Agreed, great test.

I'd like to publicly thank them for their efforts.

Not normally a buyer factory loads, but felt I needed some modern high performance factory ammo for carry,,,, expensive & so many choices. L G's test furnished more than enough info to help me decide & feel confident of my choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I disregard the results of any ammo testing that does not include hard barrier testing. This is especially true in .380. A poor round in a duty caliber can still defeat common barriers, but the .380 generally won't until you start using specialty rounds.

As far as duty rounds of the type commonly carried by police are concerned, there is plenty of reliable data around directly from the manufacturers.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
1991 I was told to pickup a sleeve of Hydrashoks for my .45 by a man who knew and Pete's advice still applies today.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That has a lot of interesting data. Some of it is pretty dated though. And they didn't test, for example, Underwood ammo, including those with Xtreme Defender and Penetrator Lehigh bullets, which are my favorites for most of my pistols. And, to give helpful info on those, and, I suppose any bullet, they would need to measure the wound cavity that those create due to their shape, because they do that without expanding. Most bullets will destroy tissue outside of (lateral to) the bullet path. I would be more interested in the width of the maximum permanent channel than the diameter of the bullet when coming to rest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read that article several years ago and it's what prompted me to lay in a good stock of Speer 124 gr. Gold Dot hollow points.

Looks like several different brands and types of bullets will get the job done, it's still up to the operator to put them in the right place.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
1991 I was told to pickup a sleeve of Hydrashoks for my .45 by a man who knew and Pete's advice still applies today.

Who is Pete?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bullets have to have high enough velocity to expand. IMHO, if you cannot push a pistol bullet at LEAST 1000 FPS actual, expansion is questionable at best. I don't mean the FPS that is on the box as most of this is BS hype. Many "reputable" manufacturers use 10" or so solid test barrels to get these figures. Reality is a far different proposition when shooting the same load through your 3 or 4" barreled revolver with a cylinder gap in the mix. At 1000 FPS or less, I want a wide meplat as a JHP is a wasted effort. Again, JMHO, YMMV.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's right Henry, sue happy lawyers are the problem, another reason i handload pistol and rifle ammunition save 22 LR and most 12 gauge.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It takes 7 or 8 samples to realize statistical significance, therefore, five shots per load are not enough. I certainly hate to see good effort go to waste.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Bullets have to have high enough velocity to expand. IMHO, if you cannot push a pistol bullet at LEAST 1000 FPS actual, expansion is questionable at best. I don't mean the FPS that is on the box as most of this is BS hype. Many "reputable" manufacturers use 10" or so solid test barrels to get these figures. Reality is a far different proposition when shooting the same load through your 3 or 4" barreled revolver with a cylinder gap in the mix. At 1000 FPS or less, I want a wide meplat as a JHP is a wasted effort. Again, JMHO, YMMV.

Apparently, you missed that these tests were done with typical carry pistols and shot over a chronograph....and that some loads did indeed expand at less than 1000 fps. It's a dated article, especially regarding 10mm. But your assumptions are even more dated.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
That has a lot of interesting data. Some of it is pretty dated though. And they didn't test, for example, Underwood ammo, including those with Xtreme Defender and Penetrator Lehigh bullets, which are my favorites for most of my pistols. And, to give helpful info on those, and, I suppose any bullet, they would need to measure the wound cavity that those create due to their shape, because they do that without expanding. Most bullets will destroy tissue outside of (lateral to) the bullet path. I would be more interested in the width of the maximum permanent channel than the diameter of the bullet when coming to rest.

Include Civil Defense ammo also, especially the 10 mm at 2000 fps.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Slavek
It takes 7 or 8 samples to realize statistical significance, therefore, five shots per load are not enough. I certainly hate to see good effort go to waste.

That’s just not correct. If these data represented a normal distribution then there would be something to what you’re saying, but if you look at the photos you’ll see that’s not the case here. And even if it were there’s nothing magic about 7 or 8 data points.

By my count there were 127 bullets tested. For only 16 of those were there significant differences in the visual results of one bullet to the next. And for those 16 the photos showed inconsistent expansion. Testing 2 or 3 more bullets wouldn’t have resolved that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.