Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19276760 03/06/24
hardway Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just noticed cci makes a 357 mag shot shell loaded with #4 shot…. I’ve only ever used the 38 version that has 8’s or 9’s. I’ve only shot gophers and beer cans with them, but do carry a few when I’m around rattle snakes….. would the 4’s be better or not enough shot to be an effective pattern?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Best way to find out is buy some and pattern them in your gun.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Unless you go down to #9, #10 or #11 shot in CCI shot capsules, there’s just not enough room for a lot of shot and those with #4 shot make your patterns pretty sparse. I don’t know what the #4 loads are for…

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Only way to really know is to buy some and try 'em. I suspect you'll find patterns are pretty thin pretty quickly.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I looked up that load on the CCI website, they're showing 84 grains of #4 shot. A little calculating shows that to be right about 26 pellets.

Here's a patterning test I did some four years ago with CCI .38 Spl/357 Mag shot shells that are advertised as containing 135 pellets of #9 shot, 5 times more shot. Beyond five feet patterns get sparse very quickly. I'd stick with #9 and if you read further down in the thread some folks recommend making your own loads out of #12 shot.

.38 shotshell patterning

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Never shot shotshells much in 357. I used to load mine in 44 mag for a 4" N frame or 4 5/8" SBH. Bigger the shot the patterns went way downhill. I preferred #10 and 11s if I could find them. Couldn't push them fast either. Light loads around 8.5 -9 grains of unique worked best in my experience. I've tried the factory CCI loads in 9mm and 45. Wasn't overly impressed with either

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
For the folks that have used or tested pistol ss on snakes it's the finer the better, hands down. # 10-12 preferred. Mike Venturino has tested & written an article or 3 on his findings.

The #4 shot is more of self defense type thing for 2 legged shakes.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by gunzo
For the folks that have used or tested pistol ss on snakes it's the finer the better, hands down. # 10-12 preferred. Mike Venturino has tested & written an article or 3 on his findings.

IIRC that article also said to not try to load them to max

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
While I haven’t yet tested on game or vermin…..I’m using #8 shot in my 460 S&W. In my thoughts, it offers a decent compromise between pellet weight for penetration and pellet count for pattern density.

I actually use full-length 444 Marlin Mag. brass, slightly reduced the case neck to clear the cylinder throat, put a powder charge fir a 2 1/2” 410, insert a 410 gauge 2 1/2” plastic shot cup, pour in 1/2 oz of #8’s, invert a 44 caliber gas check over the shot, seal end with either wax or hot glue. Gives pretty decent shot patterns out to 20/25 feet.

I may drop the powder charge a bit, to see if patterns improve at longer ranges!

Really looking forward to testing them on rabbits or other small game. In a perfect world we’d have some snakes to test them on! 😉 me

Last edited by memtb; 03/08/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I make cylinder length shotshells for my Ruger and S&W .44 mag pistols. I make these cases from .303 British rifle cases that I cut to a length just short of the length of my pistol cylinders, and file the thickness and diameter of the case rim to match .44 mag cases.

When fired, the straight wall rifle case fireforms to the inside of the .44 mag pistol cylinder and is a slight bottleneck. 40 some years ago when I first made these I got a ".44 shot size die" from RCBS to resize these cases.

To load these shells, I use 7 grains of Universal, a .410 shotshell wad cut 1/4" shorter, fill to the top with #8 shot, then cover with a top wad made from heavy paper cut with a large 3-hole paper punch, and seal the top with fingernail polish.

At 10 yds they have a pattern about the width of a 55 gal barrel, but at snake range of 6 ft they pretty well cover an aluminium can. I also sometimes use them to break Skeet station 8 high and low targets.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by buffybr
I make cylinder length shotshells for my Ruger and S&W .44 mag pistols. I make these cases from .303 British rifle cases that I cut to a length just short of the length of my pistol cylinders, and file the thickness and diameter of the case rim to match .44 mag cases.

When fired, the straight wall rifle case fireforms to the inside of the .44 mag pistol cylinder and is a slight bottleneck. 40 some years ago when I first made these I got a ".44 shot size die" from RCBS to resize these cases.

To load these shells, I use 7 grains of Universal, a .410 shotshell wad cut 1/4" shorter, fill to the top with #8 shot, then cover with a top wad made from heavy paper cut with a large 3-hole paper punch, and seal the top with fingernail polish.

At 10 yds they have a pattern about the width of a 55 gal barrel, but at snake range of 6 ft they pretty well cover an aluminium can. I also sometimes use them to break Skeet station 8 high and low targets.

Darn impressive! However I’m really distraught……I thought that I was a creative genius when I came up with my 460 shot shell idea! I guess that now, I’ll be look’n for some .303 Brit brass! 😁 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/08/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have some .410 shotcups and over shot card wads and have plans to try making some shot loads for .41 magnum.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by cra1948
I have some .410 shotcups and over shot card wads and have plans to try making some shot loads for .41 magnum.

Sounds like a plan……..Good Luck! 👍 memtb

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by buffybr

Good looking pattern, but probably too much work for my lazy butt. I tried cutting & necking down 444 Marlin brass but with cardboard under & over wad & a heavy roll crimp for 44 cyl. length shells. Finally pressed easy button with speer capsules & loading #10, a lot mor effective on rattlers than 8. A funny thing, a rattler won't twist & writhe with a good hit of 10 or 12. They just go limp. I have some now discontinued Rem 45 acp with 12 shot, instant kills.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by gunzo

IIRC that article also said to not try to load them to max

Venturino mentions heavy powder charges blow the pattern apart, & it makes perfect sense. An old Speer manual I have has shot capsule data. Recommended loads are never heavy. Without looking, remember it might be like 7 gr. Unique in a 44 mag case.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve got a box or two of the .45 ACP crimped loads Remington made about 20 years ago, #12 shot covers a sheet of paper thoroughly and they function in our 1911’s. Not for revolvers. We loaded the Speer capsules years ago with #11 for the .38 Spl. A manufacturer made some cups top and bottom for shot in .38 but I don’t recall who, they were flush with the case so didn’t hold much shot.

I’ve tried about all the factory loads, the .22 LR is pretty feeble unless you’re close. The .22 Magnum kills larger snakes better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another reason to own .45 Colt, larger case holds more shot.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hardway
I just noticed cci makes a 357 mag shot shell loaded with #4 shot…. I’ve only ever used the 38 version that has 8’s or 9’s. I’ve only shot gophers and beer cans with them, but do carry a few when I’m around rattle snakes….. would the 4’s be better or not enough shot to be an effective pattern?
Coincidentally, just yesterday I discovered the same thing. I looked for a place online to purchase some, but they were all out of stock. I guess they're popular.

I watched a YouTube video about it yesterday, and he patterned them, and they pattern just fine. Best patterns were achieved from short barreled handguns, perhaps because the shot has less time in contact with rifling.

I just used a CCI .38 Special shot load (not the #4) the other day for dispatching a sick chick. I used my old Colt Model 357. Very effective. Put the poor creature out of its suffering instantly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by hardway
Coincidentally, just yesterday I discovered the same thing. I looked for a place online to purchase some, but they were all out of stock. I guess they're popular.

I watched a YouTube video about it yesterday, and he patterned them, and they pattern just fine. Best patterns were achieved from short barreled handguns, perhaps because the shot has less time in contact with rifling.

I just used a CCI .38 Special shot load (not the #4) the other day for dispatching a sick chick. I used my old Colt Model 357. Very effective. Put the poor creature out of its suffering instantly.

No, companies make products that sell not something few will buy. Frankly i do not know what is more stupid concept .357 loaded with #4 or shotshell cartridges marketed to be used in autoloaders. The only rationale for birdshot handgun shells is for farmers or farmhands to use against snakes. S&W and Taurus produce revolvers for that purpose called Governor and Judge respectfully. Any avid outdoorsman using trails where poisenous snakes are common can buy snake boots, snake gators and or snake pants, problem solved.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JB in SC
I’ve got a box or two of the .45 ACP crimped loads Remington made about 20 years ago, #12 shot covers a sheet of paper thoroughly and they function in our 1911’s. Not for revolvers. We loaded the Speer capsules years ago with #11 for the .38 Spl. A manufacturer made some cups top and bottom for shot in .38 but I don’t recall who, they were flush with the case so didn’t hold much shot.

I’ve tried about all the factory loads, the .22 LR is pretty feeble unless you’re close. The .22 Magnum kills larger snakes better.

I've shot several prairie rattlers with the Remington ACP #12's. The snakes just go limp, instant death.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.