Campfire Regular
J
FFII 3-9x are $135 on Amazon

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Always looking for used Vortex Viper 2x7 prefer the BDC reticle, or Redfield Revolution 2 x 7 with the circle plex. Both work well with none of the issues of the Leupold 2 X 7 had about 5 plus all had issues.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thinking about this post, I bought a Maine Vue scope in 2006 for $75. Slapped it on a 243 and used it for many years before I sold it. That scope wasn’t going to WOW anyone but it was a pretty nice scope for the money. I can’t remember where it was made

I also have a Redfield Revolution on a 7600 carbine that has been rock solid and a Leupold M8 4x on a Ruger that has been fine

In the 20 years since this post, I’ve bought scopes I thought were going to be good and weren’t and others to take a chance on that have been decent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Not the same as the LOW made scopes of a few years ago

blush

Knew that and forgot.
I bought 2 3x9s, a 2x7, and some variable rinse scope when Natchez blew them out. Have a 3x9 on an AR.
It’s good, nowhere near the eye box of the 3200s I bought when they were blown out. Still have one of those in the box, wish I had bought a lot more.

Sitting on a couple FFIIs I haven’t been able to use.
Wouldn’t fit on a Yugo Mauser worth spit.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

blush

Knew that and forgot.
I bought 2 3x9s, a 2x7, and some variable rinse scope when Natchez blew them out. Have a 3x9 on an AR.
It’s good, nowhere near the eye box of the 3200s I bought when they were blown out. Still have one of those in the box, wish I had bought a lot more.

My sole knock on the Japanese made Weaver V series scopes was the eye box and eye relief. The only time I have ever been scoped in my life was with one of those on a 30-06. Laid out over a spindly alder to take a shot (shots) at a nice Kodiak blacktail.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The only Jap Weaver's I liked were the 2.5x.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a used Hawke Vantage 4x (32mm obj) AO scope a couple years ago off the big auction site for $76 shipped. It has been a fabulous scope. Great in low light (11 layers of lens coating), excellent edge-to-edge resolution, crisp finger adjustable w/e knobs that track true and hold zero, plus a lifetime warranty. . They have offerings in: fixed 4x, 2-7x, 3-9x, 4-12x, 4-16x, 6-24x configurations, many with or without AO. New, they sell for ~$110-170ish. So far, my Hawke Vantage 4x AO scope has been a pleasant surprise.
Hawke Vantage rifle scope product line

Other $100-200 scopes I have, and like: Weaver Classic (Japan) 2.5x, B&L 4x-40mm, Lyman AA Permacenter (2.5x and 8x, both bought used), Nikon pre-Monarch 4x, Weaver micro-trac steel tubed 2.5x, 3x and 4x, 1980's Japan-made Bushnell Banner 4x (40mm) which is very bright and sharp.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 10 years ago, I got tired of looking at the mud in all my cheapazzd scopes. My eyes were getting older and I was losing about 10 minutes of hunting on either end of the hunting day.

I bought 3 Bushnell scopes: an Elite(sub $400), a Trophy(sub $300), and a Banner (sub $100). I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference between the 3. Since then, I've been buying the Banner 3-9X40 for nearly every rifle. I'm happy as a clam. I can now get in the stand an hour before sunrise (a half-hour before legal hunting) and look through any of my scopes and see perfect detail. I have also taken a shot at a whitetail at 150 yards in the last minute of legal hunting and down the beast without a hitch (unless you count the muzzle flash blinding me in my right eye for a minute afterward). The change of scopes has also removed a glare issue I was getting at one stand when I was shooting into the mid-morning sun.

Provisos:
1) My maximum range on a whitetail is about 250 yards. I zero 2 inches high and let it ride.
2) I find a load and pretty much keep it for 20 years.
3) I don't fiddle with the dials

What I can tell you is that I have had zero failures, zero scope-related snafus, and zero complaints.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I am surprised to see the Leupold Rifleman listed in a 20 year old post. I did not know they had been around that long. I understand they compare with the VX-2.

They do not compare with a VX-2. Closer to a Vari-X II glass wise.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

blush

Knew that and forgot.

My sole knock on the Japanese made Weaver V series scopes was the eye box and eye relief. The only time I have ever been scoped in my life was with one of those on a 30-06. Laid out over a spindly alder to take a shot (shots) at a nice Kodiak blacktail.
I've got 5 of them, V-9, V-7, RV-7 and 2 K-2.5's. and never had a problem. The k 2.5's rode on 12 gauge pump slug guns for years and hundreds of rounds. Never got scoped, always held zero. The V 7 and V-9 are or have been on .30-06 and .308 rifles without issue. Never noticed any of them having an overly critical eye box.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Then Minox 3x9 was a good scope have about 5 none have broke on all kinds or rifles. Clear and adjust correctly. No longer made.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sandpit
ive got a simmons 8 point 3-9 scope, i think it was 50.00. it tracks better than any new leupold freedom i got and easier to zero. i went back to an old chief scope 3-9 on my 22-250, gave the leupolds away what a disapointment
I'm not going to lie, I've had significantly better luck with Simmons scopes than I have with Leupold. As have most of the guys in my hunt club. Imo they've never gotten near the credit they deserve online.

That said, I probably haven't bought a new Simmons in 10 years or so. I can't really personally speak to the current models, but several guys in our hunt club have used recent production models without complaints.

I do think the Burris FFII or the E1 are some of the best values in a hunting scope. That's the way I generally tend to lean when looking for a budget hunting scope these days.

Last edited by slowr1der; 03/21/24.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Yes- they are not the same.

They are made in South Korea. They are good scopes and from my sample, optically as good as the LOW Jap made Classics. The one I owned was very well finished .It also tracked well.

The thing only I don't like about them is they follow the current "Euro-trash" design trend in scopes- bulky Euro style oculars with talk capped turrets(Why?) and a few ounces heavier .

Having said all that, I would buy another if I need a scope for a low bolt lift rifle .

If the older Jap LOW Weavers were made again today they would be $200 to $300 . Most here would not buy them. Which explains why they are no longer made.

Last edited by jk16; 03/21/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Weaver experience is minimal, but I still find favor in the 2-7 and 3-9 Redfield Revolutions. Clicks are a little mushy, but that's been about all I can say negatively. Probably used 15 of them and haven't seen any issues yet for a basic "set it and forget it" hunting scope. The still pop up on the used market for $150-$190.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

blush

Knew that and forgot.

I've got 5 of them, V-9, V-7, RV-7 and 2 K-2.5's. and never had a problem. The k 2.5's rode on 12 gauge pump slug guns for years and hundreds of rounds. Never got scoped, always held zero. The V 7 and V-9 are or have been on .30-06 and .308 rifles without issue. Never noticed any of them having an overly critical eye box.

I am trying to recall things from nearly 3 decades ago. I had one (maybe 2) 3-9x38s whatever series that was and a 3-9x50. The 50 did have a bit of a fussy eye box and what I recall as substantial tunnel vision. I had the 38 on a Ruger boat paddle 30-06. Eye relief wasn't terrible, but it was tight enough that in a sub-optimal field shooting position it'd could be an issue, and it was for me. Somewhere I have an old school printed pic of my Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. For some reason or another in my mind's eye I am seeing a Weaver on it. I'll know when I look at the pic. Nonetheless, they were really good scopes for the money and the tunnel vision eye relief complaint was not a huge deal for me with the exception of the scoping incident.

I still have a Weaver Nitrex that is fantastic. Wish I'd bought a load of those and the Grand Slams when Natchez closed them out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Weaver Classic V scopes were very good. The only version that was a bit herky was the 2-10×38.

Forbidden Zoner
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good thread.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
The Weaver Classic V scopes were very good. The only version that was a bit herky was the 2-10×38.

Herky?

More like downright awful, like looking through the tube off a roll of paper towels.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
The Burris Fullfields are nice for the money in today's scopes. I'm not comparing them to a current Fullfield, but as far as cheap scopes I've had excellent reliability and function from the old Japan made Tasco's. Have two 3-9's yet that I've had for a LONG time. Been on everything under the sun and still work as intended. One of them is currently on a 22, the other on a 6mm.

I just recently bought a Japan made 4X Tasco on the classifieds here for $20. Don't know which gun I'll put it on yet, but I guarantee it will get used and I bet it will track and hold zero.

Interesting...back in the 70's I was poor but still bought my first ever new rifle. A Rem 788 in 308. Found a new 4x Tasco in a local gun shop and went hunting.

That Tasco is still going. I have it on a 22 rifle and it has never had an issue. The 788 went away in a divorce and I still wish I had it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Westman
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
The Burris Fullfields are nice for the money in today's scopes. I'm not comparing them to a current Fullfield, but as far as cheap scopes I've had excellent reliability and function from the old Japan made Tasco's. Have two 3-9's yet that I've had for a LONG time. Been on everything under the sun and still work as intended. One of them is currently on a 22, the other on a 6mm.

I just recently bought a Japan made 4X Tasco on the classifieds here for $20. Don't know which gun I'll put it on yet, but I guarantee it will get used and I bet it will track and hold zero.

Interesting...back in the 70's I was poor but still bought my first ever new rifle. A Rem 788 in 308. Found a new 4x Tasco in a local gun shop and went hunting.

That Tasco is still going. I have it on a 22 rifle and it has never had an issue. The 788 went away in a divorce and I still wish I had it.
I still have a couple of Japan made 3-9x32 Tascos from the '70's in use on .22's and while they are not as good optically as a modern scope they still work fine.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,859 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,613
Posts18,473,931
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.